Ry's attempts at making shiny pictures

Discussion in 'Art, Literature, and Music' started by Ryisunique, May 8, 2018.

1. Ryisunique

Ryisunique Detective, AUEI Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Okay. So, I am going to be nowhere close to the talent of anyone on this side when it comes to drawing. You people have gorgeous, glorious abilities and I get to view it in random intervals between catching up on the internet.

But, I do want to work on getting back into sort of the level of skill I had when I was in my HS Art class. Funny tidbit, I actually took that to improve skills for when I wanted to go into forensics. Drawing crime scenes. :blink: But now, I have ideas about my RPG characters, a couple of funny comics and one crossover that I would really like to try out. So, I want to kinda expand. Give myself a place to post, improve, try out styles and skills.

For example:

You've seen the first two, maybe. I posted them as statuses.

[​IMG]
    (Septic Sam, in the GT trophy, with a Warfstace.)

[​IMG]
    (Elders ate my homework. They said I needed better proofs.) (The comments on the side are what I was thinking. One of my first attempts at CD.)

And then this was an attempt to make a ID picture for CD that ended up sassy.

[​IMG]

Most of my work is going to be digital, because I didn't like trying to copy handmade pics on a scanner, it always ruined the colors. In fact, I'm going to be relearning a lot adapting to a digital version of things.

Thanks for clicking. The pictures also make wonderful targets for virtual tomatoes. Not real ones, please.

Rhino and starlight dream like this.
  2. Rhino

Rhino ~Inactive~ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ah, tagged as 'art frustration', we've all been there :hswt:

I think one of the things is, trying not to avoid things you find hard. E.g. I see your second picture with the classic 'no hands pose'.
    I know it can be super frustrating trying to draw things when you can't get it to look right, (hands especially are a pitfall for so many, myself included.) But, they're never going to get any easier to draw if you avoid them. Practise is the key!

Don't worry if they're not perfect. Do you know how many pieces of art are? None. (It's all subjective anyway.) And I'm not saying 'lock yourself in a room and draw hands over and over until you see improvement' because that's not fun, and if you're always drawing stuff that feels like hard work, well, soon enough you won't want to draw much at all.

So, I guess my point is... balance is the key! You like drawing your RPG characters? Turn pose practise into OC drawings! See if you can sneak in more half or full bodies into your headshots, when you want a break, take a break, when you want a challenge, push yourself out of your comfort zone a little more, and just have fun with it :D

If I had a quick tip for now, it might be to practise some lineart. Right now, I can see you're roughing out little lines and shapes which do give a sense of 'sketch'. I think your style is heading towards cartoony though (which is awesome to see as a contrast to the common anime styles of the forum!) But, does tend to have more bold and clean lines, so I think it might help to take some confident strokes!

Don't know what art program you're using, but I suggest getting used one with layers if you haven't already. It's an incredibly useful tool as a digital artist, and you can use them to make your sketchy base, and then maybe make a neat lineart ontop.

But looks like you're off to a solid start anyway! Keep it up, and will be looking forward to seeing some of those funny comics too :p

Ryisunique likes this.
  3. Ryisunique

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've got Krita and GIMP, so I'm okay there.

Yeah, practice will make better. Thanks.

Funny enough, actually heading that way on purpose.

Rhino likes this.
  4. Ryisunique

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Okay, so I've been working on ID pics for Alex and CD. Focusing on CD first, maybe because he has a clearer form in my head than Alex. That and I got a Graphic Novel of the Case of Charles Dexter Ward.
    drafts of CD.PNG

So, I can already tell I'm going to have problems with the details for a while. Not lining things up. That will hopefully improve with time. I'm thinking about gathering a bunch of pictures and redrawing them (either actually over them or mirroring off to the side) to get the muscle memory down.

And hair tutorials.

Rhino likes this.
  5. Ryisunique

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    cd complete 1.PNG

Dun dun. The first picture of CD.

Well....

6. Ryisunique

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    So, after a few hectic months from work draining my life bar, I can now sort of chill until the uptick with Halloween and Christmas. What better things to do than to start trying again.

I redid CD, in a way that I actually understand and make look somewhat human.

my cd to post.png

I choose blue background because it's easier to see on. Right now coloring and practicing on what I think CD should be wearing.

7. Ryisunique

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    progress to CD.png

And here's CD with some color, and a sweater vest. Keeping the lines clean, but I have a shakiness that starts when I do longer lines, so short lines and trying to merge is why the neck meeting the shirt looks odd. I also don't know hair, at all.