Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Life Update
Well a lot has happened throughout the lockdown however, the important issue here is that I disappeared without notice and to those who watched with glee I deeply apologize. Though a year has passed my skills are still sharp and I plan on going full throttle like before. I will be updating the progress I make every two days. If anything arises I will update that information as well. I will also be watermarking my work as per recommendation of a friend so I apologize if someone wants to see the image without it. I do have a DeviantArt linked at the bottom of this post so if you do wish to see it a bit better I do have it posted there.
Either way I'm back. Feel free to drop a comment I don't bite. :kaomad2:

Game Synopsis

The game takes place at a psychiatric hospital named Sanity Care. The sole purpose of the hospital is to find the best method in which to raise and harness an inner beast that can reside within a child. After 60 years of very small progress the hospital is being threatened to have all funds cut and the entire facility along with it's doctors disposed of.

With time running out the doctors at the facility shift their attention to a promising child that arrived 2 years earlier.

You play as that child's brother.
You wake up to a voice calling out your name. Alone and afraid you must find your brother and then escape the hospital. Along your path you'll encounter other children, doctors, SWAT teams, or creatures that will either aid or hinder you based on the actions and choices you make.

A few years back I participated in an indie game maker contest. I wanted to see what kind of a game I can produce within a month.
Itch io game I made

Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 9.52.27 AM.png
The result was a "demo" that lacked gameplay and focused solely on Dialogue. It may have been my first time but I learned a lot back then. Although story driven games are nice. Sometimes people like a blend of story being learned as you play, not so much as it being dumped on you.
I never really had time to work on my ideas for RPG Maker, but quarantine is still in effect and I'm out of work. Given the free time I want to see what I can do but this time on Rpg Maker MV.

Here are the characters so far.
Amy.png
Amoy.png
Erick.png
Mackenzie.png
Sam.png
Stephanie.png
Marcel.png
Fog.png
Scarlett.png
Lea.png
Effie.png
Helka.png

Someone Dm'd me wondering why some of the kids were wearing different color shirts and that's because the hospital they're at is sectioned in 6 different colors. The Green shirt children are being experimented on mentally. Blue shirt children are being experimented on surgically. Orange shirt children are being experimented on in a dietary sense (being fed roaches and rats for example). Purple shirts are being experimented on physically. Yellow shirts will be experimented on genetically. And finally Red shirts are being experimented on through isolation. Red shirts are the most dangerous among the children at the facility. I have yet to come up with an idea for a character with a good plot in this area. If I can though, I will make a character, but for now I'm only making characters for 5 sections of the game.

Current Children Sprites finished
Update 6th.png

Divine Truth.pngDivine Gate.png

Divine Truth Sprite.pngDivine Gate Sprite.png

Feel free to check my Deviant-Art Page which will be linked below this. It shows small little improvements to the characters. :kaomad2:

Please watch me on this journey and feel free to comment on my work as well. Don't be shy!
Engima's Deviant Art

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Added another character named Erick. He's wearing a blue shirt because he's going to be located at a different section in the hospital.

Erick.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Added two more characters named Marcel and Fog.
Marcel.png
Fog.png

Going to do 1 every two days again. Doing two characters in 2 days flat is kind of unreasonable for me. I think it might drain my motivation :kaomad2:
I was working on making sure the characters feel organic to the story while also looking up tutorials on how to create sprites. A couple of my friends and someone who DM'd me said, "the drawings look fantastic but you can't just make a nice drawing and call it a day. If your sprites look mediocre then players will just consider your game nothing more than a forgotten thought."

They bring up a good point.
So these past two days I've been looking at other peoples sprite work and trying to understand the base of the body for the sprite. I really enjoy MV's sort of style on sprites more so than others. The problem is the over exaggerated head vs a small weird square body. It looks silly. While looking around I found this amazing user by the name of Anisoft. The user made a sample of his sprite and I knew there and then this was the direction I wanted to take my sprites. The last time he was seen was on 2018. Despite that I sent him a message and hope I can honor what he has created.
Inspiration reference.png

Next week I'll upload a character and very slim but perhaps I shall upload a sprite as well.​

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Quick update
Though I practiced a bit 2 days ago, I'm coming to understand just how talented people on the forum are. Making sprites has its own level of difficulties vs drawing. One pixel can really make it or break it. Here's what I've come up with so far.
Screen Shot 2021-04-03 at 11.30.37 PM.png
It took all my day just to make these. Now I just have to make them walk! :kaoslp:

Don't think I'll finish them by tomorrow since I still have to color my drawing. I'll upload the new character tomorrow!! Hope y'all are excited as much as I am. Thought right now it kind of just feels like I'm talking to the wind:kaocry:

No matter I just gotta keep at it and soon all my work and passion will speak for itself. :kaopride:

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's the next character. Located in the same area as Erick; her name is Scarlett.
Her glasses are not drawn yet so I made a placeholder for them for now. I'll update her image again next time.
Scarlett.png

I couldn't get the sprite done in time. Though I am still working on it. It might take some time since making sprites is still fairly new to me. When I made sprites for Vx Ace 2 years ago I could get away with a bit because there was less pixels and more room for the imagination. With Mv Sprites and me making them taller than the average sprite. I realize that detail is very important. If I half-arse it. It'll look silly. So bear with my slow progress :kaocry:

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Added a new character named Lea. This is my ninth character!!!! Almost at our 13 character goal. :kaopride:
Lea.png

The walking sprite I am making is still in development. I will upload hopefully a gif tonight. If I can figure out how to make a gif to begin with. If I can't I will just put up a picture. It won't be done. But I should be finished with the down walk cycle.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry for the delay/quick life update.
My Guinea Pig gave birth two days ago causing me to shift all my attention to them.
Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 3.16.59 PM.png
Though I was really excited I knew I still had work to do. So after I tended to the babies I got my drawing done. I did not however finish the walking sprite. Because of that I am making sure next update I have the entire walking sprite done as punishment to myself for not balancing my time properly. With that said here's the new character that I had created and her name is Effie. We now have 5 boys, 5 girls, and 3 Guinea Pigs!

Effie.png

Last edited:

awkaiyoki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well done on keeping your project going. It's wonderful work, and you put in so much effort, time and passion. I really wish you well deserved success and recognition for your work :)

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well done on keeping your project going. It's wonderful work, and you put in so much effort, time and passion. I really wish you well deserved success and recognition for your work :)

Thank you very much!!!! :kaojoy:
Motivation has increased Ten Fold

Well as promised I finished the walking sprites for the girls. Unfortunately I was told by a friend not place all my assets on the forum as anyone can snipe my work. If I do finish anything I will begin watermarking them from now on that goes with the sprites which I will watermark at a later time.

Helka.png

As for the new character, her name is Hekla. She is part of the blue area as well. Her scars, unlike the others I've made, are on her back.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well a lot has happened throughout the lockdown however, the important issue here is that I disappeared without notice and to those who watched with glee I deeply apologize. Though a year has passed my skills are still sharp and I plan on going full throttle like before. I will be updating the progress I make every two days. If anything arises I will update that information as well. I will also be watermarking my work as per recommendation of a friend so I apologize if someone wants to see the image without it. I do have a DeviantArt linked at the bottom of this post so if you do wish to see it a bit better I do have it posted there.
Either way I'm back. Feel free to drop a comment I don't bite.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1st.png
So I finished two sprites [They have the full walking sprite cycles. I'm just posting the down part in order to avoid any content snipers]. I actually worked on them right before I disappeared. So all I did right now was simply add finishing touches. Honestly I feel as if my spiriting skills have dampened quite a bit compared to before I left so hopefully I can relearn the basics by the next update.

Amoy.png
I also finished the drawing I worked on 2 days ago. I figure I would avoid adding information about the characters here as it would probably be more fun if you learn about them as you play the game. Speaking of the game I am going to be buying some plugins soon, and debating which type of music I will be using from the rpg maker store. I also plan on learning how to make music and my own audio as well. But I will be diving in to that later.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Cole.png
2nd.png
I finished the final character I had planned to place in the game for now. I also finished another sprite today since I was feeling pretty pumped. From here on out the next step is to start focusing on finishing the sprites for the characters. From then on I will begin creating the intro scene and seeing what I need like audio, animation, miscellaneous sprites, etc.​

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
4th.png
I finished 4 this time!! However I rushed to finish. I got to take the pace down a notch since I'm still learning how to work with pixels and the quality clearly takes a hit if I rush. Most of the hair is simple assets already in Game Character Portfolio but I tweak em a bit. Marcel's Hair burned most of my time since most of it was creating and not tweaking,​

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Update 5th.png
Theres only two more left. I'm going to be shifting my attention towards compiling what kind of plugins I will be using. I have bought some quite some time ago I just need to find the files and licenses for them. I then have to start learning how to use them on MV. My posts may begin shifting towards a weekly update. We'll see how it goes.​

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Update 6th.png
A little late on the update sorry about that. I finished all the sprites for now.
I have found my plugins and downloaded all the music I plan on using in the game. I also created a text note with proper credits for everyone. Now that the annoying part is out of the way I can finally shift my attention to working on the intro of the game.

I don't know if this is what most people start with however I feel it's probably the best method for someone like me. Rather than explain my reasoning I guess I can only see what I produce and learn from there. I will be posting major updates every week from now on, and posting minor updates throughout the week as I see fit.

Tonight for example I had planned to finish a rough sketch for some of the creatures in the game and although I did technically make something I wasn't satisfied with how it looked so I opted out from posting it. I'll try and post it tomorrow since it would be classified as a minor update.

All rambling aside I have the basic assets out of the way. Now I can work on the more complicated stuff which involve creating the darn game. Wish me luck! :kaojoy:

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Minor Update I finished drafts of a few of the Divine Creatures. They don't appear until later in the game so I won't be making many updates on them. For now these three will be a sample of what a divine creature would look like.
Each creature is unique to the child they come from and not every child awakens to a power.
Took a while since I had friends decide whether they were good or not.
Drafts.png
From left to right they are named Divine Judgement, Divine Truth, and Divine Gate. Each Divine Creature has certain requirements that must be met in order to use its ability. In the game you can befriend the other children and have their abelites become an asset to you for a short duration of time [They do have their own objectives after all] or you can enrage some of them cause some of their deaths etc. It will depend on the child. You will not need the others cooperation to defeat the game however they will simply aid you to make some parts more feasible. You will gain things in the game that will aid you as well. I just have to make sure I know how to program it.​

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Divine Gate.pngDivine Truth.png
Divine Gate Sprite.pngDivine Truth Sprite.png

Small update
Finished the drawings of 2 creatures and 2 sprites. The sprites look pretty bad lol but I plan on trying to make them have some small animation so I don't want too much detail otherwise I'd have to animate all that detail. Better the low quality and multiple frames vs amazing quality and like a static image cause I don't wanna bother making all the frames.

I'm also working on a small animation for the intro cutscene and learning how to play with audio using Audacity. I don't think my headphones will cut it in terms of recording audio so I might have to buy a microphone.

I know some people probably want some game updates and not so much an art show. Unfortunately I am still working on understanding how each plugin I have works. I try to divide my time throughout the day so I can maximize the amount of work I can realistically get done. I have also been making some mock up cutscenes. Now sure what I'm going to say on Wednesday for the weekly update post. I think I should lay out the problems I'm still facing and perhaps the things I have managed to get working.​

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Weekly Update
Sadly I don't have anything to show. This week I focused solely learning how to event and how to work with the plugins I have. The plugins I currently plan on using in the game are as follows.

Khas Core Lighting System
Nilo K. (Khas)

CP Large Sprite Fix
Neon Black

Camera Core
SumRndmDde

Skip Cutscene
Fallen Angel Olivia

Event Sprite OffSet
Yanfly Engine Plugins

Certain
Plugins were behaving rather weirdly and I managed to find solutions for them in a very roundabout way.

For example. For some weird reason Camera Core could not move through the X axis for me in a very smooth manner. It worked so well on the Y axis but whenever I attempted the x axis it made all the sprites on the screen shake while they corrected themselves to the proper spot. The way I solved this is by simply making an
invisible character with through on and having the camera follow the character with preset movements on a parallel event.

There are more weird methods I had to use in order to make a few of these plugins operate the way they should. The only one I haven't yet learned how to use is the Skip Cutscene plugin. It seems simple enough so I'm going to prioritize Eventing the intro for now.
I feel I got enough practice using the scripts and basic Eventing tools.

Heres hoping next week I actually have something to show :kaocry:

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Video

Sadly I couldn't get anywhere near done as I had and have to make many more assets for the game. This is honestly quite a difficult thing to do with just one person. I done near burned most of my energy while trying to make everything work as smooth as it looked in the video. Well I think this week I may take it more easy or maybe take at least 2 days off. I still have a lot more to do.​

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Make a Game in RMMZ Streams are going to remain in hiatus this week. Too much to do! 4 things will be announced on Monday though! Look forward to that.
Typed a long-ish reply to a post... forgot to actually HIT the post button, and moved to a different page.... finally noticed, don't remember what all I had typed and don't feel like trying to re-type it all.... smh....
Their tactics are evolving. They've learned to call for help when cornered. Never trust a mammal!
Good morning all. I still have a post up on video editing for cinematic trailers. Please make sure to check that out and give me a message as its still active in offers.
Hey everyone! I'm back :D

Snow White? More like Snowhere to be seen amiright? Hahaha I'm so sorry!! :kaocry:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaithF