Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Today I woke up with a terrible headache. I have some work I wanted to finish and show everyone but looking at my computer screen hurts so sadly today there will be no update it’ll have to be tomorrow when I feel better.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I haven't been uploading weekly but that doesn't mean I haven't been hard at work. I just felt like people wanted more action than updates. So I stopped doing weekly updates. I'll just update when I feel I make good head way on my work. For now I finished up the introduction part of the game. Now I'm shifting my attention towards working on a small playable demo!

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Finally made a short playable demo!!! Please feel free to play it and leave feedback. If you wish to know more about the game check the 1st post on this thread!! :kaojoy:

You can download and play the demo on my itch io by visiting the link below
https://enigma-projectz.itch.io/scph

I also remastered all the artwork in the game and am still working on some concept art for future mechanics in the game, and the designs of the monsters and creatures.

Story wise I finally came up with proper stories for the characters in the red district. Also I made a clear map for the green district but the other areas are not fully finished. This is because I feel there needs to be at least 1 to 2 game mechanics added per district.

Again I'll be working on the game off and on. If I ever get enough of a community and support I'll probably go all in and hire some extra hands!

Amy Profile.pngErick Profile.pngFog Profile.pngHekla Profile.pngLea Profile.pngSam Profile.pngScarlett Profile.pngStephanie Profile.png
Concept Art 3.pngHekla Concept.pngAmy Leona.png

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I test it out when, but from the images on Itch with the flash light, shouldn't
it have a offset to their hands rather from it's head?

same for looking left/right/up?
but aside from that, I test it and give feedback on what I think/found
and maybe suggestions/feedback on it.

the art is amazing, specially the different sizes which is really neutral.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I test it out when, but from the images on Itch with the flash light, shouldn't
it have a offset to their hands rather from it's head?

same for looking left/right/up?
but aside from that, I test it and give feedback on what I think/found
and maybe suggestions/feedback on it.

the art is amazing, specially the different sizes which is really neutral.
Thank you!! I’d definitely love to hear the feedback whether it be here or itch io!!!

In regards to the light being offset from the characters head. This was done because the character in the game attained the ability to emit light from his eyes when he made contact with the bloodily flashlight

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Below in the spoiler is a small oversight or improvements:

Top image is from khas which has a slight issue rendering the lights,
so I cannot tell how to fix thatm but it draw the full image and removed
within after 0.3 seconds (1.0 as full second).

the 2nd image has the light ON the door instead to be invisible where the 3rd
image should the light be there and it's not.

SCPH.png

As for the rest of the game, saving Amy is no option, but opend the door,
which I asume to be closed, the downside here is, if you forget the code,
you can never return back, so the controller once the keycode is correct,
it can be opend with the keycard alone, otherwise, they should write it down.

the upper controller can be as it is if you close it, the number can be retrieved.
it is futhermore nicely done, so far I played the short demo with a creepy
ending on both corridors as end of demo.

see if you can do something on the rendering issue, if not, no worries,
but the poses of the character and busts is nicely done.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Below in the spoiler is a small oversight or improvements:

Top image is from khas which has a slight issue rendering the lights,
so I cannot tell how to fix thatm but it draw the full image and removed
within after 0.3 seconds (1.0 as full second).

the 2nd image has the light ON the door instead to be invisible where the 3rd
image should the light be there and it's not.

As for the rest of the game, saving Amy is no option, but opend the door,
which I asume to be closed, the downside here is, if you forget the code,
you can never return back, so the controller once the keycode is correct,
it can be opend with the keycard alone, otherwise, they should write it down.

the upper controller can be as it is if you close it, the number can be retrieved.
it is futhermore nicely done, so far I played the short demo with a creepy
ending on both corridors as end of demo.

see if you can do something on the rendering issue, if not, no worries,
but the poses of the character and busts is nicely done.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR PLAYTESTING MY DEMO!!! Honestly aside from my friends there hasn't been that many people giving me feedback on the demo so any one who does is seen as a joy rather than annoyance lol. I actually have been working on a bunch of small things people pointed out that I either fix or improve on. I haven't yet updated the demo on itch-io but I have been hard at work with that.

As for the feedback:
You definitely brought something new to my attention and that's the flashlight on the security door bleeding through the door but not appearing when the door is open. I'll get to fixing that soon.

As for the light popping in and out whenever you click on the menu screen. I have been thinking about maybe making my own menu screen to combat this issue, though I don't think that problem will be fully resolved in the next update.

Although a lot of people appear in the introduction credits I'm actually the only person working on the entire game so it takes a lot of time to fix things and continue working on the game at the same time:kaocry:

But I am happy people like you are playing it!!! And ESPECIALLY HAPPY when people comment about it!!!! Really motivates me a lot more. :kaopride:

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1) horror isn't my genre =)
2) own menu wont fix the light issue as it is coming from Khas UltraLight,
there is a small workaround, but doesn't work, something doesn't
render nicely, but noone really have a yet good solution, except for a new
plugin that has the same, DAE_Lightning or Shora's light plugin, but both
require new set up and render much better.

but an own menu or at least menu background, custom font that is a bit
creepy is an nice addon. (I made my own for single actor), but does not
fit if you have more or want a status menu.

there was a small think work on the piece of paper and light with numbers,
which is a nice catch, but if you allow it, I love to play a deeper demo or
when able the the entire game for bugs/glitches if there are any,

I didn't do any hard glitches yet like the door with a keycard required that
can be later been get, but gain earlier on, which is a tiny bit of hard glitch
and cheat through (which skips items required and probably some cutscenes),
which can be avoid by a security switch for a certain item for not skipping.

ping me if you need any help in bug/glitching the game and a bit of
game debugging through the game and I see what I can do for you.

Have fun making the game and improve it :)
looks goods so far.

RedRaydr

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Video

Sadly I couldn't get anywhere near done as I had and have to make many more assets for the game. This is honestly quite a difficult thing to do with just one person. I done near burned most of my energy while trying to make everything work as smooth as it looked in the video. Well I think this week I may take it more easy or maybe take at least 2 days off. I still have a lot more to do.​
Dang this is looking good! Along with your amazing character art in your previous forum posts which are incredible. The voice over is really cool too. Also do be careful of burnout, taking a couple days off to rest and/or get some fresh air can really help your health and boost motivation as well.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Dang this is looking good! Along with your amazing character art in your previous forum posts which are incredible. The voice over is really cool too. Also do be careful of burnout, taking a couple days off to rest and/or get some fresh air can really help your health and boost motivation as well.
Thank you! I took a month off for Christmas :kaopride: but now that the New Year is here I plan on continuing the game development. I'm actually in the process right now of upgrading my game from the MV engine to the MZ one; since Khas' plugin caused a few bugs to occur in my game.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Update March 7th
I finished a demo for my game at the end of December for my game. It was done on RPG Maker MV and to be honest although I was proud of it I felt like I hit a road block. I was mentally fatigued primarily because of the plugins I was using.

I just didn't want a long list of people I needed to credit. This is not to say I dislike the plugins these amazing people made. Neither am I saying that I didn't enjoy crediting them. I just didn't like having to look for so many plugins with the possibility of bugs appearing in my game due to incompatibilities with plugins. Khas' Lighting system Brough its own set of bugs.

For example when I transferred my character to a new location the light would bug out by flickering everything off and on. I fixed it by doing the following.
Old to new 1.png
On the left we have an example of what I needed to copy and past every time I had the character move from one map to another. It wasn't so bad because I could copy and paste it however there were even times I had to add switches that would turn on or off because another plugin was causing my events to bug out and not work appropriately unless I turned them off or on.
On the right we have MZ. Because VisuStella covers almost every one of my problems in one go there's been no bug that has presented itself at all for me to fix or have to search a solution for.

There was also the problem of my text being horribly aligned. I don't know why this happened however it did happen, due to a plugin. I can't tell you how dreadful it was having to write a text for everything hoping it was aligned. I basically found a sweet spot for the text in the middle and then tried to align all my text to that spot from then on. But even then many things would need to get realigned again once I started the game. I must have opened my own game a total of 2000+ times just making that short demo. I actually am not exaggerating. If anyone has seen the video. My game has subtitles for the intro. Those were manually put in there in the game. I had to rewatch my intro more than 700 times lmao. I already began hating it around 20 times in but I felt like if I had to redo the audio or anything I would be stuck in the intro for ever. So I left it as it was and settled for placing the subtitles.
Here's how it looked like whenever I wrote a text in MV versus now in MZ.
MV is on the left and MV is on the right
Old to new 3.pngOld to new 4.png
It may not seem like a big deal lol but trust me. Any and every single text needs to be aligned for anything I ever put down. So that means when I place a text box down. I have to finish the event first then go in game. See how off the text is. Then exit the game click the space bar a lot. Then start the game see if it its in the middle. Exit the game and go in the editor and click a few more spaces. Start the game and find the sweet spot then exit the game and align the text. Now use the text I have aligned to guide other text to be aligned. After doing that I start the game and see what didn't get aligned and repeat this annoying process so many times lol. I was losing my mind.

I know this could have been solved by using Yanfly's wrap plugin. But I think I would need Yanfly's core plugin in for it to work. I don't actually remember its been 3 months now and I blocked out that nightmare already. But if memory serves me right I also had the SRD Camera and if I got certain plugins to fix my other plugin something else would break which would create an annoying cycle. So I just stuck with spacing everything out so that I wouldn't have to look anymore.

Finally there's the beauty of VisuStella's choice switches. This one isn't actually a bug so much of a happy preference of the MZ upgrade. Before I would have to make so many conditional branches for dialogue. I want to make a game with dialogue trees and having to do so much switches and conditional branches was killing me. Not really because of the regular eventing work I would have to do. I welcome a challenge. It was primarily because like I mentioned before in the khas transfer player events, certain switches would get reset or turned off. I had to figure out how they were breaking and then go back and add in a few control switches. Eventually the problems went away. But I still got scared the game would eventually break for my players.

Overall I was emotional and mentally burned from working on my game. I felt like I wasn't working on my game I was working on solutions on how to work around making my game. It saddened me so much that I was thinking maybe I should just embrace what my sister and mom said and just give up on my dream and live through theirs.

Then I discovered the MZ engine. And the VisuStella plugins along with the Shora Lighting one.
It has been so much fun learning how to use these plugins and know that nothing is going to break. Everything is working and I am writing notes every now and then on what I could use the plugins for next. I am excited again and now I can start working on my art again, work on sprites, and animations. My motivation got rekindled once again. I did have to remake my game from the ground up. At least with the eventing that is, but I am so happy now compared to before. I am almost caught up again with my demo that I finished on the end of December. Sadly most of February for me was me taking care of my sick cat, but he's 100% again and I am ready for what lies ahead for my game.

If you read everything up until here I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I'm going to make a horror game that'll knock you off your socks.

Now to get on with the game updates.
I have finished writing the lore of the game. and drew up a map of the green ward. It's not done yet, however the main story for this floor is done [in writing I just have to event it now]. The side characters are almost done. I just need a conclusive transition for them and am figuring out the alternative routes that will lead in to the blue ward. Here's the map so far.
Map.png
The orange color is the part I have evented the other parts have to be done. I will get to creating their tiles and sprites, then updating them on this thread soon!

Speaking of sprites I have been working on a few creatures again. Below are a few designs I have been drawing up am thinking of creating sprites for them.

Oliver.gifSol.gif
Upgrades and Fixes
+ I have also made a few more sprite animations and changed a bit of the dialogue for Amy.
+ I have improved what I believe is the smooth-ness of how Amy acts and perfected her personality. This was mostly in part thanks to my friend helping me out. She really loves the Amy character.
+There is no longer a bug where if you pause the game the lights will glitch out.
+There is also now, thanks to VisuStella, the ability to save mid dialogue, you can also use the log system to go back and check what someone had said.
+You can now use wasd as keys to move left and right.
+++Reduced the original file size by removing anything I wasn't using yet. Went from 500mb to 150 mb.
+Added a few more portrait faces to Amy for her dialogue.
+Main menu looks better, however it needs to be more customized. Might hire someone for that in the future. If my own commission art shop gets work that is. Money is a little tight right now after my cat's medical bills.
Bugs still need fixing before demo released
-Sadly there is a few moments where the flashlight would annoy the player.
For example if the character turns of their Divine Cornea [flashlight] the flashlight will be set in the last position it was set at with the last shadow it had as well. This is easily fixed by walking 1 step. However it is understandably annoying. Will fix the problem
- There are sadly moments where the flashlight will be seen on the other end of a wall or door. It's something I will again try and fix later on.

Here's the subtitled intro version of my game.

The upgraded short demo will come out soon. Perhaps within a week!
Thank you very much for reading!

Attachments

• Old to new 2.png
    Old to new 2.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 4

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
nice improvements, but MV could do the trick, but also require alot of
plugin to accomplish something.

MZ plugins on the otherhand are personally harder to write, but more
options what cannot or harder be done in MV.

but I look forward, but I love the map too, and I got a few idea's how to
reach certain area's epecially the bottom part where you go left, and probably
need an item to go through the tunnel to teh other side.

but I dont know what to except, probably hiding, because of that creepy
monster that roams there as well.

I dont own MZ, but let me know if I need to pre-beta test for smoother
public release or not, but I keep my eyes out :)

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
nice improvements, but MV could do the trick, but also require alot of
plugin to accomplish something.

MZ plugins on the otherhand are personally harder to write, but more
options what cannot or harder be done in MV.

but I look forward, but I love the map too, and I got a few idea's how to
reach certain area's epecially the bottom part where you go left, and probably
need an item to go through the tunnel to teh other side.

but I dont know what to except, probably hiding, because of that creepy
monster that roams there as well.

I dont own MZ, but let me know if I need to pre-beta test for smoother
public release or not, but I keep my eyes out :)
Definitely. Seeing as you played my previous version I am happy that you’re playing the Mz version as well! :kaopride:
Though it won’t be much different from the previous one lol. Since all I’m doing is upgrading it to the MZ version atm
I feel like I should make a wall in my game with people who have play tested the game in it’s early stages lol. You’d be on the wall for sure.

RedRaydr

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Update March 7th
I finished a demo for my game at the end of December for my game. It was done on RPG Maker MV and to be honest although I was proud of it I felt like I hit a road block. I was mentally fatigued primarily because of the plugins I was using.

I just didn't want a long list of people I needed to credit. This is not to say I dislike the plugins these amazing people made. Neither am I saying that I didn't enjoy crediting them. I just didn't like having to look for so many plugins with the possibility of bugs appearing in my game due to incompatibilities with plugins. Khas' Lighting system Brough its own set of bugs.

For example when I transferred my character to a new location the light would bug out by flickering everything off and on. I fixed it by doing the following.
View attachment 218749
On the left we have an example of what I needed to copy and past every time I had the character move from one map to another. It wasn't so bad because I could copy and paste it however there were even times I had to add switches that would turn on or off because another plugin was causing my events to bug out and not work appropriately unless I turned them off or on.
On the right we have MZ. Because VisuStella covers almost every one of my problems in one go there's been no bug that has presented itself at all for me to fix or have to search a solution for.

There was also the problem of my text being horribly aligned. I don't know why this happened however it did happen, due to a plugin. I can't tell you how dreadful it was having to write a text for everything hoping it was aligned. I basically found a sweet spot for the text in the middle and then tried to align all my text to that spot from then on. But even then many things would need to get realigned again once I started the game. I must have opened my own game a total of 2000+ times just making that short demo. I actually am not exaggerating. If anyone has seen the video. My game has subtitles for the intro. Those were manually put in there in the game. I had to rewatch my intro more than 700 times lmao. I already began hating it around 20 times in but I felt like if I had to redo the audio or anything I would be stuck in the intro for ever. So I left it as it was and settled for placing the subtitles.
Here's how it looked like whenever I wrote a text in MV versus now in MZ.
MV is on the left and MV is on the right
View attachment 218750View attachment 218752
It may not seem like a big deal lol but trust me. Any and every single text needs to be aligned for anything I ever put down. So that means when I place a text box down. I have to finish the event first then go in game. See how off the text is. Then exit the game click the space bar a lot. Then start the game see if it its in the middle. Exit the game and go in the editor and click a few more spaces. Start the game and find the sweet spot then exit the game and align the text. Now use the text I have aligned to guide other text to be aligned. After doing that I start the game and see what didn't get aligned and repeat this annoying process so many times lol. I was losing my mind.

I know this could have been solved by using Yanfly's wrap plugin. But I think I would need Yanfly's core plugin in for it to work. I don't actually remember its been 3 months now and I blocked out that nightmare already. But if memory serves me right I also had the SRD Camera and if I got certain plugins to fix my other plugin something else would break which would create an annoying cycle. So I just stuck with spacing everything out so that I wouldn't have to look anymore.

Finally there's the beauty of VisuStella's choice switches. This one isn't actually a bug so much of a happy preference of the MZ upgrade. Before I would have to make so many conditional branches for dialogue. I want to make a game with dialogue trees and having to do so much switches and conditional branches was killing me. Not really because of the regular eventing work I would have to do. I welcome a challenge. It was primarily because like I mentioned before in the khas transfer player events, certain switches would get reset or turned off. I had to figure out how they were breaking and then go back and add in a few control switches. Eventually the problems went away. But I still got scared the game would eventually break for my players.

Overall I was emotional and mentally burned from working on my game. I felt like I wasn't working on my game I was working on solutions on how to work around making my game. It saddened me so much that I was thinking maybe I should just embrace what my sister and mom said and just give up on my dream and live through theirs.

Then I discovered the MZ engine. And the VisuStella plugins along with the Shora Lighting one.
It has been so much fun learning how to use these plugins and know that nothing is going to break. Everything is working and I am writing notes every now and then on what I could use the plugins for next. I am excited again and now I can start working on my art again, work on sprites, and animations. My motivation got rekindled once again. I did have to remake my game from the ground up. At least with the eventing that is, but I am so happy now compared to before. I am almost caught up again with my demo that I finished on the end of December. Sadly most of February for me was me taking care of my sick cat, but he's 100% again and I am ready for what lies ahead for my game.

If you read everything up until here I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I'm going to make a horror game that'll knock you off your socks.

Now to get on with the game updates.
I have finished writing the lore of the game. and drew up a map of the green ward. It's not done yet, however the main story for this floor is done [in writing I just have to event it now]. The side characters are almost done. I just need a conclusive transition for them and am figuring out the alternative routes that will lead in to the blue ward. Here's the map so far.
The orange color is the part I have evented the other parts have to be done. I will get to creating their tiles and sprites, then updating them on this thread soon!

Speaking of sprites I have been working on a few creatures again. Below are a few designs I have been drawing up am thinking of creating sprites for them.

View attachment 218761View attachment 218763
Upgrades and Fixes
+ I have also made a few more sprite animations and changed a bit of the dialogue for Amy.
+ I have improved what I believe is the smooth-ness of how Amy acts and perfected her personality. This was mostly in part thanks to my friend helping me out. She really loves the Amy character.
+There is no longer a bug where if you pause the game the lights will glitch out.
+There is also now, thanks to VisuStella, the ability to save mid dialogue, you can also use the log system to go back and check what someone had said.
+You can now use wasd as keys to move left and right.
+++Reduced the original file size by removing anything I wasn't using yet. Went from 500mb to 150 mb.
+Added a few more portrait faces to Amy for her dialogue.
+Main menu looks better, however it needs to be more customized. Might hire someone for that in the future. If my own commission art shop gets work that is. Money is a little tight right now after my cat's medical bills.
Bugs still need fixing before demo released
-Sadly there is a few moments where the flashlight would annoy the player.
For example if the character turns of their Divine Cornea [flashlight] the flashlight will be set in the last position it was set at with the last shadow it had as well. This is easily fixed by walking 1 step. However it is understandably annoying. Will fix the problem
- There are sadly moments where the flashlight will be seen on the other end of a wall or door. It's something I will again try and fix later on.

Here's the subtitled intro version of my game.

The upgraded short demo will come out soon. Perhaps within a week!
Thank you very much for reading!

wow, I'm really glad you were able to find motivation again and didn't give up on your dream! As much as I struggle with motivation I would hate to see that happen to anyone else, especially to the point of giving up completely. I'm really glad you didn't give up and I look forward to trying your game when it releases. :) Also I love the intro video! looks amazing!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Hi, I'm a new and upcoming Indie Developer, and I could really use some help when it comes to system programming. Explorers can only go so far before needing a map, you know?
I made a comic strip with the characters of my game.Flor en la cola eng.jpg
Hey, what does it mean in settings, privacy, where it says allow users to: view your identities??????????
I have returned yet again. No reason for my hiatus; just got distracted by video games and stuff. I figured out how to make a bootleg Ys 1 Battle system using in engine scripting (The only plugin enabled is the HUD thing).
Unfortunately I have no idea how to program but-stabbing as a crit without it being even more complicated to program so this is it.

Kickstarter successful!! I'm gonna have a Hot GameDev Summer in the trenches!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francocado