Safe record/editing programs to convert audio files to .ogg?

sleepy_sealion

Need to work harder!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi, I really hope this is the right place to ask. But awhile back on my old laptop, I used to use online sites to convert files to .ogg, but I think it might have led to my laptop getting super messed up, so I'm really cautious about what methods are safest so I can avoid that on my current setup.

Audacity seems to be the one that gets brought up the most for audio editing, but some results say it's not really the safest thing to use. So I'm really hesitant and I'm hoping somebody here might know anything?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
what are those "unsafe" results saying in detail?
Because I know even professionals use Audacity and haven't heard of problems with it.

HOLYMOTHER

MagiCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would imagine any DAW is capable of doing that, not just audacity.

sleepy_sealion

Need to work harder!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
what are those "unsafe" results saying in detail?
Because I know even professionals use Audacity and haven't heard of problems with it.
From what I can understand there was some kind of security policy change - some people were saying it's malware, some people are saying it's safe. So it's left me a bit on the fence.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
From what I can understand there was some kind of security policy change - some people were saying it's malware, some people are saying it's safe. So it's left me a bit on the fence.
I don't know who the "some people" you're reading are, but when I Google it I see articles over a year old saying the spyware claims are a misunderstanding of the terms of use.

Additionally, if it still concerns you, it only takes a few seconds to look up "download Audacity 3.0.2" for an older version before those terms and any possibly related code were included.

KawaiiKid

Local Weeb
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi, I really hope this is the right place to ask. But awhile back on my old laptop, I used to use online sites to convert files to .ogg, but I think it might have led to my laptop getting super messed up, so I'm really cautious about what methods are safest so I can avoid that on my current setup.

Audacity seems to be the one that gets brought up the most for audio editing, but some results say it's not really the safest thing to use. So I'm really hesitant and I'm hoping somebody here might know anything?
For free use audacity. For paid use adobe audition. For cheap and super light-weight use reaper.

sleepy_sealion

Need to work harder!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry if I was being a little paranoid. But I gave audacity a try and it didn't brick my system. I have heard really good things about audition - but the monthly subscription price scares me.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Hello! Can anyone help me? I followed making cooking tutorial for RPG Maker MV. But for some reason buff state that food gives doesn't work in overworld. It disappears. What am I supposed to do?
A shotgun is not a rifle. Huh.
SIGH its so hard to convince my friend that making a game for fun and making one to sell takes different planning. I don't care about weird bothersome ways of doing things in a game made for fun, but when you are planning to market it, there is some stuff that you just have to streamline or cut out.
It might be a little bit boring and tedious, but building that database of armor, items, weapons and skills are super important.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SSSR