[?] Sample Maps in Commercial Games

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by Roopiez, Apr 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roopiez

Roopiez Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hey all,

Sorry if this is meant to be clearly answered already, for I bear a terrible memory.
    (I also hope this is the correct forum... Sorry if it isn't!)

Are sample maps allowed to be used in commercial games, or is that some sort of infringement?

I'd understand and won't if I shouldn't use someone else's work from the community here, and they've made that clear, but say I want to use one of the pre-made maps in RPGMVXAce... Is that allowed? I'm still working on my map design skills, so it'd be very reassuring to know I can use one or two of the pre-made maps in my finalized version of my game.

Thanks in advance!

Roopiez

2. Chatterer

Chatterer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    If you're going to make a commercial game you probably shouldn't use the sample maps. It will be a better game if it has good, original maps. 

3. Roopiez

Roopiez Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I understand it is suggested not to, but my question is is it allowed.

I only ask because there are a few sample maps that I thoroughly would enjoy working with, but the rest would be original.

Thanks.

—Roopiez

4. Uzuki

Uzuki Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    As long as you paid for the program it should be allowed. Mind you if do, get ready for some idiots yelling at you about using default program stuff. Apparently the RTP killed a couple of people's fathers.

5. Aeternus

Aeternus Hebitsukaiza Veteran

First Language:
    Java
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    some of those maps are prety sweet =)

as for your question im not sure i couldnt find anything online that sais you cant.. but i didnt find anything saying you could ether..

BUT

If im not mistaken dont quote me on this i might be terribly wrong xD

If its ok to use the Default actors/animations/resources in general, The sample maps come with the software and i believe when you purchase the software it tells you you are free to use any resource included in that download.

So id say... yes.

BUT

Just to be 100% sure id wait for an expert cause i dont trust my memory right now xD

Also as Chatterer said, Its best to go with Original Maps your own creations are better cause everyone that has this software has already seen the sample maps over and over and im sure they would rather see your creation n.n

6. ??????

?????? Diabolical Codemaster Veteran

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    RPGM officials have stated countless times, as long as you legally own the game engine you are free to use all resources within that particular engine.

You are also allowed to use resources from other RPGM Engines providing you legally own them.

Considering all sample maps use the default tilesets I would assume that this counts as a default resource and is therefore safe to use. I would also wait until an official confirms this before you start advertising your game with the maps in question...

7. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    I highly recommend that if you do use the sample maps you make some pretty decent edits to them. Customise the to fit your game because nothing says lazy like using default database/maps for a game. Especially a commercial game of all things. They're not hard to edit, either, and can be quite charming with a bit of touching up.

8. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    Slightly off topic, but...

I refer to sample maps in situations where I know I can't make my own map better than what's already there. However, I only use them a base and try to add in my own flare. I have no qualms with people using the sample maps in their games, as long as they actually put some effort into making them fit the needs of their own game.

9. whitesphere

whitesphere Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think the quality of the game is what most RPGers are concerned with.  And, while it is probably 100% legal to use the sample maps in a game (assuming you've purchased the game engine), many RPG Maker users will think "If this designer is just using the standard sample maps, how much effort was put into the rest of the game?"

I think they are invaluable learning tools, to show how to put together various effects.  But, if you are using the sample maps, it's important to make the sample maps fit really well into the game.  If the maps look like they're just dropped in, out of context, a lot of people might think the game was shoddy, even if it is a masterpiece in every other way.

10. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't see why. There is no extra license you have to pay to use these maps commercially. You bought the license to use whatever came with RPG Maker, including those maps.

11. Roopiez

Roopiez Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Thanks, Celianna. :D That's what I thought too.

12. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.