RMVXA Samsarian Tale

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Hero_Claive, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Hero_Claive

Hero_Claive (Phoenix Ember) Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    [​IMG]

A personal project following the mold of the traditional JRPG - with more than a few deviations!

Check out the recently-released 3.0 Demo by downloading it here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Welcome to Samsarian Tale, a personal project dear to the heart inspired and modeled after the JRPG genre. Spanning countless environments and countless worlds, Samsarian Tale weaves a coming-of-age tale of Jayde, a plucky, young huntress weighed down by the pressures of her royal heritage. Alongside her childhood friend Askari and an aloof huntress Khalira, Jayde explores the mysteries behind the long lost-to-the-world powers of Phoenix Fire, a terraforming magic with extraordinary powers.

Samsarian Tale traverses many philosophies and cultures in its ambitious 30-hour (plus?) story, but also places great importance in exploration, questing, and off-the-road tasks. While the game remains linear in nature--progressing from area to area--each locale is filled with personality-brimming NPCs, quests with depth, hidden areas, and optional monsters and bosses to hunt and track. Battles are styled a la a combination of Ao no Kiseki mechanics and Chrono Trigger's on-map battles, and the game offers a plethora of ways of customize your party members' stats, skills, and passive boosts. Please check out the sections below for more info on each part of my game, and thanks for stopping by!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Long ago, during the inception of the new world, ancient myths tell that the Phoenix, the arbiter of the Samsarian Cycle, imparted its power unto the first humans so that they could construct society and advance at unprecedented rates. This power was known as Phoenix Fire, a divine form of fire with the adverse ability of healing, constructing, and making fertile the land. The remnants of its powers have been long gone from this world, and to any left who know of it, Phoenix Fire is a mere folk tale.

This story follows the adventures of
    Jayde, a young girl who resides on the rich, verdant isle of Jua. Though she prefers hunting and gallivanting and everything in between, Jayde is the heiress of the Shuja tribe, a proud tribe which makes its home in the middle plains of Jua. Alongside her timid childhood friend Askari and the renowned hunter Khalira from the neighboring tribe, Jayde embarks on a journey to uncover the ancient past of Jua and its supposed connection to the Samsarian Cycle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    An RPG Maker game wouldn't be complete without lying on one extreme of the battle-complexity spectrum - lo and behold the battle system of Samsarian Tale! Experience fast yet heated battles right on the map, adding to immersion and making the process of exploration faster and more engaging. Turns function a la Ao no Kiseki, with characters acting immediately and controlling the delay of their next turn. Carefully construct your strategies by taking advantage of the Ardor Change System, which has party members shift emotions - and skillsets - in the midst of battle. One bad streak of emotion may turn the tide of battle!
    [​IMG]
    Player characters can also equip Specialties, a reworked Class System that takes after traditional class systems of old. While characters retain specific skills, they can also take advantage of strategies, passive skills, and growth control that Specialties offer! Craft your party well before battle to cover up any weak spots, and make use of stat boosts to grow each character as you see fit!
    [​IMG]
    Many more customization features lie within the game, including the Lapillus System. Lapilli gemstones function similar to Materia from FFVII, but rather than giving skills and magic, Lapilli allow you full control over your character's stats. Attack-oriented and Defense-oriented Lapilli are available and can be mixed and match to concoct the perfect setup to take into battle!
    [​IMG]
    Samsarian Tale offers a thorough, engaging way to manage and track your progress in an area - the Affinity System! Affinity is a measure of your total involvement in an area, which includes hunting monsters, finding important landmarks, completing quests, and locating rare items known as Treasures. Exploration is a key component of the game, and with Affinity you can make sure every stride you take is acknowledged and rewarded. Who knows, some townspeople may take note of your good deeds, too!
    [​IMG]
    Action Gauge is another unique feature of this game. The Action Gauge is a meter which measures the amount of AP (Action Points) you have, and can be seen at any time by pressing 'A.' AP allows Jayde to perform different actions, such as searching for materials, mining important/equipable items, and performing special actions in the overworld. AP can be accumulated by defeating anima and discovering new locations, among other ways. AP is instrumental in finding items for quests and especially for finding new areas/anima!

[​IMG]
    Among the last feature to get showcased is the Time System, a system not too unfamiliar to RPG enthusiasts. Similar to games such as Xenoblade Chronicles and the Atelier Series, music, characters, and monsters change dramatically as daytime turns to night! Time provides an extra layer of immersion as well as a visualization of time passing which goes well with one of the central themes of the game: Exploration!
    [​IMG]
    Since the current version isn't far enough to uncover the antagonist(s), I'll refrain from mentioning them (though they do exist!). For now I'll go ahead and introduce the protagonists and important characters of the upcoming demo:

[​IMG]
    Jayde is the 15 year-old protagonist of the story. A brazen young girl who has always been inclined towards hunting, exploring, and other daring activities, she bears the burden of inheriting her tribe, the Shuja Tribe, for she is the daughter of the exalted Shuja Chieftain himself. She often resents her brother and her father for the expectations they place on her, especially when they forbid her from exploring certain areas of Jua. Jayde's dreams become reality soon, however, since her journey will take her to many areas of Jua and beyond.

[​IMG]
    Askari is Jayde's childhood friend and another resident of the Shuja Tribe. Though Jayde prefers to endanger herself in search of monsters and discoveries, Askari leads a much more reserved lifestyle, preferring to garden, gather, and help provide medicine for the tribe. He has a strong aversion to fighting, but his loyalty towards Jayde helps him to overcome this as the story progresses.

[​IMG]
    Khalira is a famous and accomplished huntress from Shuja's neighboring tribe, the Maji Tribe. While she is barely older than Jayde, Khalira has already made a name for herself as the strongest hunter in her tribe and a fierce protector of its people. She couldn't care less for accolades, however; Khalira is highly aloof and is loyal only to the duties she is given. Few have ever seen a side of her that isn't shooting a strict gaze.
    [​IMG]
    Enza is Jayde's older brother, a 21 year-old warrior who also bears the responsibility of inheriting the tribe. Unlike Jayde, Enza devotes himself to becoming a strong leader and a man of the people. Although he spends most of his days in the village helping where he's needed, he is also modestly known as the strongest hunter of the Shuja Tribe. Some say he alone has bested some of the strongest anima in the land of Jua, but nowadays he scarcely unsheathes his sword to go out hunting.
    [​IMG]
    Check out the first video in the new ST Gameplay series (more to come soon!):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Scroll to the top to download Samsarian Tale's current 2-hour demo to experience the full first chapter, features and all!

Thank you all for taking interest in my game and feel free to leave any comments, criticism, or questions below! If you're interested in supporting my project with flair, the supporter flair is posted below!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  2. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This game looks neat, yo This deserve a bump. Subscribing. I like how you map stuff, everything blends well. And I noticed that u imported some from RMXP RTP. And yes, I can't say much without trying the game.

That 60+ hours planned gameplay is indeed an ambitious one, I'd say, good luck :p

Kwerty and Hero_Claive like this.
  3. RocketKnight

RocketKnight Broke with expansive taste Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I simple love it! If you need help with maps or anything else, call me.

Hero_Claive likes this.
  4. EpicFILE

EpicFILE Epic Member Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesia
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wah, this looks awesome!
    The GUIs are nice too. 60 hours gameplay is an ambitious goal.
    So dividing the game into several parts might be a good idea.

Good luck on your project! :D

Hero_Claive likes this.
  5. Hero_Claive

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thanks! I've actually considered dividing the game into parts based on continents or maybe by "chapter." The 60-hour goal mostly comes from my goal for a 30-hour story and 30+ hours of extra content/post-game. It's possible it ends up being much less than 60, but the story itself is very extensive, so I hope the game will be that long naturally.

DarkKxng101 and EpicFILE like this.
  6. JuneE

JuneE Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This... looks amazing! I would really love to play it when it's finished :3

Hero_Claive likes this.
  7. Hero_Claive

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @JuneE Thank you, I'm nearing completion on the first demo and have plenty set up for a much longer build. Hopefully I can have the 1-2 hour demo out soon!

8. JuneE

JuneE Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Hero_Claive

Congrats to that! I'll keep an eye out for the demo. Do you plan to post it on this forum?

9. Hero_Claive

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yup, I'll be editing this post to add in a couple sections, new features, etc. I might move to a blog later, but this forum works pretty well also!

10. Hero_Claive

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hey everyone!

Version 1.0.0 of the demo has been released! Check out the top of this post to download it (credits and readme files are included). Please report any errors, bugs, or even minor issues so I can be sure to fix them for the upcoming version. A changelog will be started to keep track of these problems, so feel free to send them my way.

Version 2.0 should be out within a few weeks as well, as that demo will include, and possibly surpass, the Maji Town arc and include more quests, anima, equipment, skills, and overall things to do. Stay tuned!

JuneE likes this.
  11. Hero_Claive

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hey all!

I obviously haven't updated in a while, but the good news is that school's out and I can shift focus back to ST (for now, at least)! So here's a few announcements that you may or may not care about:
    • The next version of the demo should be coming out soon featuring all of the aforementioned things, plus a bit extra since I definitely have a lot of catching up to do.
    • If you haven't yet played V 1.0, go ahead and give it a try, the download should still be up! (I'll also add a version including the Ace RTP since I know not everyone has it installed.) I'd really appreciate any comments or feedback as that helps motivate me more than anything. Be sure to post any errors or bugs found.
    • I'll try to post some updates of what I'm working on, including screenshots and features, so you all get an idea of what's being worked on. Feedback to these little things would be a huge help as well.
    • If you like the style/direction of Samsarian Tale, you're in luck! I have tentative plans to open an art shop here in the forums pending approval from the admins. I'll be offering services for logo design, HUD design, and personalized art direction/guidance.
    • Feel free to reach out via PM with any comments, questions, or anything. I also love talking about writing, philosophy, character design, and all sorts of game-making facets, so if you need someone to bounce ideas off of, I'm there!
    And with that, thanks for staying tuned during this rather long hiatus of ST. Work on the game has been ongoing for the past week and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon, so look forward to it!

12. Hero_Claive

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Spent some time today redoing the menus since they looked a little gaudy, too bright, and blockish/basic. Here's the new design I plan on using as a template for the other screens:

[​IMG]

Only issue I have with it is that it looks a little... too busy. Which is hard to avoid with a 544x416 resolution, but still. I'm also debating whether I should include a bust/portrait of the character, but I have no idea where I'd put that.

RocketKnight likes this.
  13. onipunk

onipunk Archmage of Procrastination Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Always interesting (and good) to see a fantasy setting looking outside the standard medieval European mould for inspiration, and to see a full cast of playable POC characters, so I wish you the best of luck with it! Only thing I'm not a fan of is the logo, the phoenix doesn't read as an "S" to me and looks more like the game is called Amsarian Tale, and I think the alternating colours for each letter looks a little hodge-podge too (and honestly I've just never liked that frat gym bro tribal style that the phoenix has but that's down to my own personal tastes which are obviously not to be taken as gospel). But a logo is really honestly a minor nitpick at this point, you've got an interesting world here and I'm really rooting for it to show how great fantasy can be when writers think outside the box!

14. Hero_Claive

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thanks for the feedback, even if you think it was minor haha. Truth is, the logo was made for this game before Map 001, and I haven’t revisited it since. I’m still finishing up making the menus look nice, but thanks for reminding me that the main logo definitely needs some work as well.

And thank you for the kind words about my setting! I’ve always loved RPG settings that aren’t medieval or sci-fi, so atmospheric uniqueness is one aspect I’m really trying to replicate.

onipunk likes this.
  15. Hero_Claive

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hi all,

Version 1.1 is out now! It includes a completely new prologue sequence, some revised menu screens, a few bug fixes/quality of life changes, and more. There's also an RTP version for the many MV users who don't have the Ace RTP installed. Please report any bugs/crashes to me so I can fix them!

As always, Version 2 is in progress and should be out somewhat soon. Mostly everything is mapped out, it's all a matter of eventing now, though to be honest, after completing that entire intro sequence I'm pooped. :headshake: I'll be back at it tomorrow though!

Edit: Pretty obvious error at the beginning of the game so links removed for now

Edit 2: Links back up!

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  16. Hero_Claive

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    A new scene layout this way comes...

[​IMG]

I got some feedback which said the scenes were a little dry with only the pop messages, and I incidentally had all of the busts for each character... So I figured it's time to give the game's scenes a facelift. Not every character will have busts unfortunately (though all PCs will), and they'll be limited only to main story sequences, but I'm already loving how much more emotion it adds to each scene. Not everything can be conveyed perfectly through text anyways.

Oh, and credit to Lunar Wish for reminding me how cool scene bars look. :D

Edit: I must be the worst playtester in the world, there's another bug unaccounted for that crashes the game. Apologies to anyone who's run into this issue- the fix will be put in a new version featuring a couple more changes I'm making. For now, links are taken down.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  17. onipunk

onipunk Archmage of Procrastination Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Those busts are looking really nice, definitely something I'm going to give more thought to myself in my next project after my current one. And I notice the new logo too! Much nicer, way more readable and gives off that classic Final Fantasy vibe, which is always a good thing in my book.

Hero_Claive likes this.
  18. Hero_Claive

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thanks Oni! Most things don't get fixed/adjusted until someone points out something wrong/awkward about it. Funnily enough, I used a tattoo stencil for the previous logo which might explain why it looked tribal and frat-bro esque haha, so I decided to go the opposite direction and use a more basic feather design alongside classic FF-like titling.

I'm using an edited version of Galv's Message Busts too, if you're looking for how to add them into a game!

19. Hero_Claive

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    A new fortnight-long stint of doing major work on my game begins, and I decided to start with remodeling my battle system!

[​IMG]

I wasn't really digging to minimalism of the last HUD, even though I think it took up less space. It still looked overly basic, and even lacked maximum HP numbers which I feel is a must. The commands were also a little too flashy with the colors, so I switched over to a more streamlined ring-command system which uses similar aesthetics but in a much more simple and less space-consuming way.

You might also notice characters now have flares to match their emotions, as well as portrait changes! This is one of my favorite changes as I think it adds a lot more tangibility to the Ardor Shift system. It's better to be able to visualize and feel how the party is reacting rather than seeing it pop up in their status effects.

I've also made a lot of core changes to the battle system, including more intuitive gameplay which I hope to fully implement soon. Skillsets have been tweaked a bit to give Jayde and Askari a bit more synergy, and I'm fleshing out the intro hunting scene to a full tutorial level so players can learn the new mechanics coming up. Lots to look forward to! I hope to have the demo back up soon, with everything incorporated as well, so stay tuned!

20. Hero_Claive

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Two more images to share:

[​IMG]

New menu is a work in progress, but I decided to change up the numbers so it's easier to read and get information about your party. New message up top to help guide players through the menus. I wrote a snippet that allows me to push commands (i.e. add them and remove them) in Mog's menu script!

[​IMG]

Few things here. First, I finally broke down and ramped the resolution up to 640 x 480, which is one of the best decisions I've made for the game yet. You can see here how much more space and breathing is added just in the battle scene. Second: Kaduki battlers! Stationary 4-D wasn't really doing it for me, so I went ahead and sprited Jayde her own sideview battler (luckily almost all my other characters already have them). Downed sprites included too, instead of just a rotated back-facing sprite. Looks way better imo.

That's all for now. Feedback and suggestions are greatly appreciated!