RMVXA Samsarian Tale

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Hero_Claive, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Hero_Claive

Hero_Claive (Phoenix Ember) Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Biestmann I'm really glad I'm getting good feedback on that. I love a good JRPG, but some of the anime stereotypes (in terms of design) are unbearable - I prefer more realistic designs that try to say something about someone's character. Didn't want any sort of sexualization getting in the way of that, so to speak. Anyways, onto the next thing.

@A-Moonless-Night Unfortunately, I took down the demos for the time being since they seemed to be riddled with errors (that I've fixed by now, mostly) and I wouldn't want to waste your time. Though I'm aiming to have a tidy, well-executed demo ready by the time some of my grad school apps are due, so there will definitely be something to play in the coming weeks. :eswt:

A-Moonless-Night likes this.
  2. Hero_Claive

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hey all - A few updates here,

First of all, if you haven't already, check out the new tutorial section I've put together for the game's opener:

This is a new area I'm adding to the Shuja Territory that offers a bit more biodiversity and some forest music that I've been dying to use (not the music in the video above). It also has fully fleshed out tutorials (which can be disabled) that should help guide the player into some of ST's more complicated systems. It's hard to tell how much needs explaining from the dev's perspective, but I'm doing my best. Part 2 of the tutorial should be featured in the upcoming 3.0 demo.

Second, Skill Trees! This is another one of those things that I've wanted to implement since forever, so I drew up a quick concept on Photoshop:
    Skill Tree Concept.png
    I'm trying to keep it somewhat simplistic since there will be several skill trees per character that get unlocked as the story progresses. Wouldn't want to spoil any of the later skills, after all. Also not sure how good the grunge looks on parchment background, but I was too lazy to download new textures so I figured they'd do nicely. Each icon should be grayed out before the skill is learned. Hopefully a few preliminary skill trees should be available for use in the 3.0 demo!

Lastly, regarding the 3.0 demo, I hope to have it out soon. This demo will be similar in length (no added story sections past Chapter 1, most likely) but has a huge overhaul of features, UI improvements, tile selection, new scenes, rewritten dialogue, balancing updates, and a few new skills as well. 3.0 will likely establish the base I use to build the rest of the game up. Incidentally, Chapter 2 is completed story-wise, though the accompanying areas still need to be filled with quests, monsters, unique monsters, etc. So I might release an even later demo that includes some of that - which could be over 5 hours in length.

Anyways, thanks for stopping by and check out the main thread if you haven't already for info about my game!

Jayje likes this.
  3. Hero_Claive

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm extremely excited to announce the latest feature of the game: The Affinity System!

Like before, the game tracks your interactions and discoveries in a given area. Now, there's a much better visual representation of that in the form of "Affinity Score" - a holistic summary of how much you've done in the area. Here's a quick picture of what it looks like in-game:
    [​IMG]
    The last script I made was a simple Window script with a few added bells and whistles, but this is one is the first time I've scripted a full Scene and needless to say, I'm elated that it worked out perfectly. Back to the system, you can tell that your score will go up as you do more things in the community. There's also hidden values such as talking with NPCs and making certain decisions during quests/conversations. Therefore, it's possible to reach 100 Affinity before completing the full list of items here. If you don't nail every choice perfectly - no worries, as max Affinity will always be possible!

Affinity will have plenty of rewards, too. That goes without saying, I guess. I'm thinking more shops (or at least different items), more quests unlocked, and even progression bonuses for characters (passive skills, anyone?). I'm not sure on reward systems yet, so if anyone has concrete ideas I'd love to hear them.

That's all for now, just a quick update is all!

Jayje likes this.
  4. synchronicity

synchronicity Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This game is looking really impressive, and I like the affinity feature that you've added. For the completionists out there, being able to track something like that is always a bonus, plus it just serves as incentive to explore more when you realize you haven't discovered everything yet. It sounds like you're hoping to include a lot of that, so that's exciting for someone like me who loves exploration and sidequests.

The story you have is also kind of a twist on the traditional JRPG, you can see similar elements that we know and love from JRPG's on one hand, but you can also see a bit more of an original take on that. Focusing more on a tribe-based royalty as opposed to the traditional medieval is a deviation from standard RPG Maker games alone, which is kind of nice because as much as I love medieval settings, it does get tiresome sometimes. Plus, the hunting element is pretty cool too.

All in all, I'm excited to see what you do with the game! :)

Hero_Claive likes this.
  5. Hero_Claive

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thanks for all the kind words! You picked up one of the main things I've focused on in my game, which is preserving that JRPG feel while presenting it in a completely new and interesting context. Even if the game's mechanics aren't perfected or anything, I'd like for the game to at least feel new, interesting, and full of places to explore/things to do.

I'm glad the affinity system looks good, too, as I hope a small thing like that will help gameplay-focused players get into the game more and check off each thing on the list.

synchronicity likes this.
  6. Kwerty

Kwerty Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This project looks really nice, the title screen caught my imagination.

I really dig the soundtrack and the games unique features look strong (Affinity + Skill tree)

You have a unique, yet familiar style with the project which you're obviously putting a lot of time and effort in to creating.
    Keep it up!

Hero_Claive likes this.
  7. Hero_Claive

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hi all!

I've just updated the post with a huge amount of new stuff that I've been working on over the past month. I have a bit of free time on my hands by the bye, so I've made a sizable push in the game's development which I'm really happy with - partially resulting in a much-anticipated system that I've wanted to add in my game:
    [​IMG]
    The Specialty System is a new Class System in Samsarian Tale, allowing you to have more control over your key strategies, party setup, and character growth. Each Specialty has its own Active Skill, Passive Skill, and boosted stat upon level up! They can be switched at any time and are abundantly found throughout the game.

That's all for now, so if you haven't already, check out the main post and any comments, impressions, criticisms, or questions would be much appreciated!

Edit: The 3.0 Demo is now released! Download it here, no RTP is necessary:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  8. Hero_Claive

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    A quick markup for a new system (possibly) coming to Samsarian Tale: The Break System.

Now characters will fill up "slots" on the enemy when hit by their weaknesses. Once all slots are filled, the enemy suffers Break and loses a full turn. Break can be inflicted at any time so strategic timing of Break is crucial - especially since after an enemy's Break turn is over, their weakness slots cannot be filled again for 3 turns. In the corner, you can also see that you get a specific effect based on the element you used to fill the last slot. Using Fire in this case boosts the party's damage dealt towards enemies with Break. I tried to make these new graphics as least intrusive as possible, but let me know if it looks like too much.

And if you haven't gotten a chance to play my most recent demo, I would really appreciate any feedback/thoughts on it! For a game designed for others to enjoy, it's integral that the majority of the feedback I get is from, well, others. I haven't received any yet, unfortunately, but I'm continuing to finish out the next few chapters of the game. As always, I believe in reciprocity, so if you all have anything you'd like me to try as well, shoot me a PM!

Cheers.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Kwerty likes this.
  9. Kwerty

Kwerty Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nice to see you’re thinking about battle system depth.

- Are you going to update the graphics for battlers/enemy sprites? They seem quite small, I can barely see them.

- Regarding play testing, when you say you reciprocate, why don’t you play test for some people first + write a review and ask if they would reciprocate a review on your thread in return? PM some people who have demos ready with that offer?

Good luck!

10. Hero_Claive

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    If you read my main topic, most battles in the game take place on the map where enemies are much easier to see. I use basic sideview for feature testing because it's faster, 32x32 sprites would not be used normally.

Your idea isn't terrible though I'm not huge on the idea of offering feedback to random devs with a caveat that they play mine. All I'm saying is that if anyone has the time to test it (which not all devs have), I'd gladly play theirs/offer whatever feedback I can.

11. Hero_Claive

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hey all!

I have here some screenshots from a new prologue I've been working on for the game that incorporates much more interaction, backstory, and development in about half the time and with 90% less unskippable text!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, I've made a pretty big effort to work on the game's on-map presentation, incorporating a bit of parallax mapping and a broader diversity of tiles (not to mention lots and lots of colorful chiaroscuro).

I also included a battle screencap to show that the Break System is finished and fully integrated! Attack elemental/status weaknesses and an enemy's Break Slots will fill one by one. Once every slot has been hit with a weakness, they suffer Break and lose two full turns. In addition, their defenses are lowered and any attacks they were charging become interrupted/canceled. Break will be an excellent mechanic to reward tactical gameplay and will force players to think turns ahead and plan out when/how they want to Break. There's another mechanic that will stem from this based on how many different weaknesses you strike, but that will be revealed later.

Thanks for stopping by and check out the 3.0 Demo if you haven't already! In the latest upload, the old prologue has been removed in preparation for a new one in version 3.1. Look forward to that soon!

Biestmann likes this.
  12. OgreKiddo

OgreKiddo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Looks amazing & very promising! Love the Sprite Work & Art Style, especially the Text Box & GUI :-D, Bookmarked!!

Hero_Claive likes this.
  13. bazrat

bazrat Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I agree. Awesome battle system too, can't wait to play!

Hero_Claive likes this.
  14. Hero_Claive

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thanks for the kind words from both of you! I try to put as much work as possible into every facet of the game, especially the aesthetics. Glad it looks great at first glance!

15. Hero_Claive

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hey all! I haven't update in a while, so I figured now would be a good time to go over a few new things I've added to the game. First off, a brand new Tutorial Scene to help the player maintain their knowledge of the game's many systems:
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, tutorials are unlocked as you unlock more systems throughout the game. This is to avoid an info dump and ensure that each system is introduced incrementally and effectively.

I've also completely redone the Equip and Skill menus - from scratch, no less. While previously I used an edited version of Moghunter's menu scripts, I cleaned the slate and made these ones from scratch. Let me know what you all think!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bazrat likes this.