Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I've been contemplating these 2 Jobs/Classes which both happen to use a single "finesse"-type blade. A Katana in the case of the Samurai, and a Rapier in the case of the Fencer. In other words, both these swordsmen rely more on Dexterity over brute Strength. Thus, would it make sense to create an amalgamation of the Samurai & Fencer, at least mechanically speaking? Such a class would hence be restricted to "finesse" weapons, such as the aforementioned Katana or Rapier. However, "light" weapons like Daggers should not be usable since DW is not the goal here, imo.

Okay, but now what should I call this class? Swordsman? Duelist? Blademaster? None of those names really do it for me though (too vague)...thoughts?

Edit: Also cuz, thematically speaking, a feudal Japanese Samurai wouldn't fit into my game's lore. Nor would an 18th century French/Italian Fencer, for that matter. Thus, I'm trying to come up w/ an archetype that utilizes a single nimble blade as their main weapon.

Last edited:

MarxMayhem

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Blademaster/Swordmaster will suffice. Fencer also can work, as that is the accurate term for swordsmen that practices the way of the sword as a sport.

Alternatively, if your world has a name for its practice with a sword, give that a user-equivalent.

TinyRecorder

Tiny Steps & Rainy Stars
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Duelist sounds neat for a dexy quick boi, the other two makes me think "options" rather than speed and finesse. Would it be wrong to think a "sword master" could roll up brandishing a great sword at some point?

MarxMayhem

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Would it be wrong to think a "sword master" could roll up brandishing a great sword at some point?
It would not, though I think OP has weapon restrictions based on class, so that's an unlikely scenario here.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That was basically the issue I had w/ "Blademaster" or "Swordsman"...as in the player might think they could use any kind of blade/sword. But I'm looking for something that screams "I wield a finesse-type sword!", though I guess the best I'm gonna get is "Duelist"...

However, some (younger?) players or those whose 1st language is not English may mistake "Duelist" to mean someone that Dual Wields. Hence why I'm searching for alternatives.

Arthran

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I personally find it kind of hard to picture a katana and a rapier being lumped into the same category. One is a slashing weapon, and one is a piercing weapon. The fighting styles required to use them effectively are just so different from each other, I don't think it makes a lot of sense for one class to be adept with both weapons. But I don't suppose that a fantasy game really needs to be super realistic, so I doubt that many people would question it.

As far as what to call it goes, I don't really like Swordsman or Blademaster, simply because both of those titles imply that the class should probably be able to use all types of swords, rather than being restricted to just the katana and rapier. And I'd also picture a Blademaster being able to dual wield. Duelist would probably work. Maybe Swashbuckler would work, though maybe not with the katana thing.

MarxMayhem

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Fear not. It's called Swordmaster/Blademaster, not Swordsmaster/Bladesmaster.

As for people interpreting Duelist wrong, I wouldn't worry about it. "Duelist" means that the person is experienced in 1-on-1 fighting, and that implies mastery over 1-handed weapons. If your game has a class named Rogue/Thief/Assassin, they'll expect those to dual wield instead, diverting that expectation.

xabileug

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
You can always have a make believe profession it its a new lore from another world. For example Lighthazard uses rapiers to deal piercing damage, additional strikes as agility stat goes up. Specializes on ignore def and breaking enemy speed, inflicts cripple.
NightStalk uses katana, infuses blade with several elemental magic. Evolves into SoulBlade, deals heavy sword magic AoE, must specializes into unique elements earth fire wind and water. Final Form, Astral Blade, receives awakening, gaining power from the cosmos and celestial gate powers, able to uses healing and buff magic, protecting allies.

Last edited:

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm, I guess my best bet is to create a fictional sword style or martial art. Maybe also rooted in Elven culture? Sigh, I'm honestly not the best worldbuilder though... Maybe I need to start looking for teammates on this project lol.

Edit: How does "Bladesong" sound?
@AphoticAmaranth I also like "Blade Dancer" too!

I was basically envisioning a swordsman who's so graceful with the blade that the sound of his/her sword cutting through the air creates a beautiful melody as attacks are chained one after another.

Last edited:

ericv00

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
However, some (younger?) players or those whose 1st language is not English may mistake "Duelist" to mean someone that Dual Wields. Hence why I'm searching for alternatives.
I wouldn't think so. Also, much of my vocabulary was built in my playing of games and looking up the words I didn't know. Duelist seems the best to me, but there are other questions that might help come up with alternatives...

Can characters change class at will? Is this for a specific character(s) with a certain personality?

When I think of "finesse" weapons, I think of elegance, brain>brawn, high-status, noble, aristocrat, etc. ESPECIALLY when rapiers are involved. Does this conception fit into your lore with regards to this fighter class? I did a quick search for words that describe people of high social status, but my google-fu is pretty poor... and honestly, "Duelist" fits perfectly into the high-mastery, dex-based, accuracy fighter concept.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yea, a noble/aristocratic vibe is definitely fitting. Even in the Samurai's case, they were considered nobility pre-Meiji revolution era. I really don't have any issues with "Duelist", but I have experienced instances where people thought Duelist = Dualist. I personally would never confuse the 2, but there are people out there with subpar English.

Redeye

Chronicles Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Swordmaster, Sword Saint, Bladesworn, Sellsword, Mercenary, Wayfarer. I wouldn't worry too much about people confusing it for a class that can wield every type of sword, though I do wonder why Katanas and Rapiers are lumped together like that. If there's no Japan-equivalent country in your fantasy world, then Katanas probably shouldn't even exist, unless you call them something else entirely and invent a new culture that utilizes it. You could probably just change "Katanas" to "Curved Swords" and still fit a similar niche.

pawsplay

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Swordmaster I think does it all. It says sword, it implies one, it indicates mastery.

On the whole katana thing: you can still call them katanas even if Japan doesn't exist in the game world. People call them swords and the USA and England don't exist in the game world, after all.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I guess w/o the existence of Japan, Katanas could perhaps have originated from another culture...maybe with Elven roots?

Rogue Milk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I would go with Swordancer or Blademancer.

Although I must say I never saw Samurais as a finesse type class, more like a two-hand sword type class. I always remember FFT's classes where I would use the Samurai class until my character could use dual hand wielding.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Katanas are like that rare breed of weapon that happens to be both "versatile" & "finesse" at the same time, imo. I can't think of any other weapon with both properties.

VegaKotes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I guess w/o the existence of Japan, Katanas could perhaps have originated from another culture...maybe with Elven roots?
Funny you should mention elves. Pathfinder actually has a curved blade made by elves known as the Elven Curve Blade (creative I know.... xD)
And while it's not a 1 for 1 Katana it does share certain similarities such as a thinner blade/abnormal guard.

You may consider looking at other curved blades as well such as the: Shamshir, Talwar, the ever popular Katana, the Scimitar, the Khopesh, some versions of the Calvary Sword, the Kukri, a very strangely shaped Yataghan, Sabers, etc.

ericv00

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Swordmaster I think does it all. It says sword, it implies one, it indicates mastery.

On the whole katana thing: you can still call them katanas even if Japan doesn't exist in the game world. People call them swords and the USA and England don't exist in the game world, after all.
"Katana" basically means "sword". (of a particular time period and forging technique) There are many, MANY types. In contrast, a rapier is a fairly specific type of sword.

So, I also think it is odd to lump rapiers with "katanas", as the style of fighing and use is almost entirely different, rapiers being almost obligate thrusting swords and katanas being mostly cut-centric swords. For a little more flair and to try to come slightly closer in blade style, instead of simply using the term "katana", another form of japanese sword could be referenced, like perhaps "tsurugi", which is a double-edged straight sword. Or perhaps the "jian", a double edged straight sword from China.

And in THAT case, your class name could refer, perhaps, to being well-traveled and worldly.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Finally working on a real title graphic! Here we are at an early stage:
titledemo.png
Sometimes game dev feel like...
progressMeme.png
back with more music

When I first heard a song by Nickolas Wolfe I was impressed by his musical skills and I instantly knew he was the perfect fit for the sound I was looking for Eniko: Ghosts Of Grace. The song I first heard was later used in Doirosz Arena in the game. For the launch of the demo version of Eniko next week, Nickolas made a new version of this very meaningful song!
Contemplating an old idea I once had about a fantasy world where elemental manipulation was possible, but combat uses required... creativity. Kinda like ATLA, but far more restricted, with a lot of physics-related realism driving what was possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yeya007