Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
While it's true Fencing and Kenjutsu utilize totally different styles, they both fulfill the same role gameplay-wise. Which is, that of a high-DEX, non-DW, melee DPS unit. That's basically why I'd like to merge the two. Going the worldly/well-traveled approach sounds like a good idea. Not sure what to call such class/job though. Maybe "Vagabond"?

Though, I still like the "Bladesong" or "Bladedancer" idea as well. My preference goes to "Bladesong" though, since "Bladedancer" makes me think of a dual-wielder for some reason.

VegaKotes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nomad and Wayfinder might also work. Especially if you give them a lot of strange and unique weapons?

pawsplay

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
"Katana" basically means "sword". (of a particular time period and forging technique) There are many, MANY types. In contrast, a rapier is a fairly specific type of sword.

So, I also think it is odd to lump rapiers with "katanas", as the style of fighing and use is almost entirely different, rapiers being almost obligate thrusting swords and katanas being mostly cut-centric swords. For a little more flair and to try to come slightly closer in blade style, instead of simply using the term "katana", another form of japanese sword could be referenced, like perhaps "tsurugi", which is a double-edged straight sword. Or perhaps the "jian", a double edged straight sword from China.

And in THAT case, your class name could refer, perhaps, to being well-traveled and worldly.

Rapier isn't all that specific. In the early eras, it was simply a sword with a sharpened tip. Later it developed into the more specialized style, with the characteristic basket hilt, foible, chisel tip, etc. Then we get to the fencing rapier, which is what most people visualize, but is firmly in the age of firearms. All rapiers. In fact the term rapier is probably derived from the term "espada ropera," that is, a dress sword. So-called, of course, because it was associated with use as a weapon of civilian defense rather than a weapon of war.

But that's a digression. Anyway, katanas and German longswords both use similar techniques and one is not more finesse-y than the other. I often suspect people who think that have never picked up a real katana and swung one. Pretty much all swords weight between 2 and 3.5 pounds and are between two and three feet in length, with some outliers such as the Scottish claymore and the greatsword. All of them, when properly made, are well balanced and fast. One of the principles advantages of a longsword (or a katana) is its speed when used in two hands. So quibbling over the weapon types I don't see as all that helpful, particularly in the context of a CRPG where the character is restricted to certain weapon types.

I don't see any contradiction between using a katana and a rapier. Some characters use whips and bows. Logically, a fencer should use rapiers and muskets. When you are talking about late-era, long katanas like you see in anime, katanas and muskets is also a logical combination.

Various ideas: kensei, swordmaster, fencer, duelist, duello, edgemaster, blade, bladesman, master of defense.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok guys, I just added a Poll lol. (pick 2)

Edit: Tbh, swords in general are actually more dependent on DEX than STR. However, pop culture and video games have taught us otherwise, which led to most people associating swords with STR. It's funny cuz Bows are the other way around. People think they are DEX weapons when in reality they require a lot of STR to wield, especially Warbows.

Edit2: Also, it doesn't have to be an actual Katana, but instead, something similar.
For example, the Heron Mark sword in Wheels of Time.
Fast, single-edged, slim/elegant, etc...
1638843859669.png
^Clipped from this video:

Last edited:

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Voted for "Duelist" and "Vagabond". The former 'cuz I think that makes the most sense, the latter 'cuz I think it coolest. :kaoluv:

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looks like the popular choice is Duelist. Btw, is there a good umbrella term I can use to categorize finesse-type swords? I don't have to include actual Katanas since there's no Japan in a fantasy world. However, they could easily have swords designed similarly to the Katana or Rapier or any number of other historical blades (that are agile/nimble).

I was thinking "Light Blade" maybe? Or "Quick Blade"? Or Light/Quick Sword? But those sound pretty lame, tbh. This is in contrast to other sword categories like Shortsword, Longsword, or Greatsword. This category would basically just be for distinguishing "finesse" swords.

pawsplay

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Saber. Rapiers aren't technically sabers, but katanas are.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm, I was just thinking...is there a non-Japanese version of the word "Ronin"? As in, a wandering swordsman or warrior.

MarxMayhem

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm, I was just thinking...is there a non-Japanese version of the word "Ronin"? As in, a wandering swordsman or warrior.
Ronin is the term for Samurai without a master. If you want a name that is similar, consider Renegade, Outcast or just Wanderer.

Heck if you want an existing term, use Black Knight. A black knight is a knight that takes up mercenary services (their name is from their purposefully blackening their armor to resist wear and rust), and historically ronin ended up as mercenaries most of the time.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh, that reminds me! A quick tangent: What do you guys think is "higher tier"? Crusader, Paladin, or Templar? Like if you have to order them from high to low class progression, how should they be ranked?

MarxMayhem

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
  1. Paladin
  2. Templar
  3. Crusader
Highest to lowest.

pawsplay

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Wuxia, gallowglass, knight-errant, sellsword, black knight, freelance

Latest Profile Posts

Been playing through Skies of Arcadia again, and it really makes me wanna see someone try to implement how ship battles were done in the game into RPG Maker (or really just in general).
split.png
split view of both versions of the pocket city you traverse through. there's differences like areas only being accessible in one version of Autumn Bay. or events that only happen in one or the other.
theortically if there were a developer who spied on people's game playthroughs and changed things in real time to make it harder for them, what might be said game developer's motivation?
Hi everyone! Enjoying this nice long weekend. How are you all doing? :)
I just successfully tested having events check if specific actors are in a particular party slot and then changing image to match. This will let me make scenes take into account who is in the party at the time and arrange them accordingly - this is important since I'll have extra actors beyond current party. The script used is the same from MV and is compatible with my current core plugin setup in MZ. Thank goodness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dndrself