Save and Load Pages Customization

Discussion in 'VNMaker Support' started by Bors, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Bors

Bors UI/UX Designer Member

First Language:
    Bulgarian
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Greetings. I'm (a noob) trying to customize the Save and Load pages, and I I'm running into a lot of unexpected issues and things I can't quite figure out. Here's my (work in progress) layout.

[​IMG]

If anyone can help me with the following, I'd appreciate it greatly:
    - where do I change the size of the thumbnails?
    - where in the script do I change the number of saves per page and the number of pages?
    - probably related to the previous item, current image maps from 6 to 10 do not work correctly, even though I think I added them properly to "Scene Content"...
    - how would one go about including a timestamp and or savegame name under the thumb nail?

I have a ton of other questions, but can anyone please start me with these?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  2. Kentou

Kentou Admin Staff Member Veteran

3. Kentou

Also, I can't give you a copy & paste solution but some idea how you would achieve want you want to do.

If you want to get the date of the save-slot, that requires scripting in most cases but I think there is also a no-scripting way. I am not sure about your VN Maker knowledge but you could get the date of a save slot and put it into a text variable which you could then show using Show Text command. The script would look like this:

Using Scripting

Code:
    GameManager.variableStore.strings[<variable-number>] = GameManager.saveGameSlots[<slot-number>].date
    Just replace <variable-number> with the number of the text variable you want to store the date in. The number counting starts at 0 in scripting so for variable number 1 you have to put 0 and for variable number 2 you have to put 1 and so on.

Replace <slot-number> with the save-slot you want to get the date from. The counting starts at 0 as well so for the first save slot, put 1 in and for the 2 save-slot put 1 in.

Without Scripting

You could also achieve that without scripting. You can use the Get Game Data command to get the current day, month and year and store it into persistent variables. Those variables are stored independent from any save-game, they are globally stored. So you could use 3 persistent variables for each save-slot to store day, month and year whenever the player saves the game. You can also use a persistent list variable.
    Then you can freely format and display the date for each save slots without scripting.

However, all that expects that you already have a quite good understanding of how to use VN Maker commands and the action-based UI. The Scripted UI has the date shown by default but customization might be more complicated compared to action-based UI.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2018
  4. Bors

First Language:
    Bulgarian
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Thank you for replaying. I've now read the guide but I'm afraid it didn't offer much I could use. My main problem is that I can't figure out where the relevant pieces of code are. There are no indications which scripts are used for which of the records in the collections section. I would think that it would be Layouts -> Templates -> Template_SaveGameSlot... But the line mentioned in the guide isn't there or in any of the other semi-obvious places, and you can't run a search across all scripts, you can only go one by one...

If I go by the documentation provided with the software, in Customizing your Game -> UI Series -> Layout Reference List in mentions that I should be looking for a Layout Name "saveMenuLayout"... which I would guess turned into "Layout_SaveMenu" in the actual software, but there's again nothing in it that looks like the line in the guide....

I really wish there was a list/map of the dependencies and more annotations... That would be great for new users and usability in general.

Also, thanks for the timestamp tip. My VN Maker knowledge is practically at turbo-nood level. I would love to get more into the scripting side of things, but I again, using the Action UI as a base, I have no idea where to find the most of the corresponding scripts for each element.

EDIT: LOL, I just realized I must've broken something and the save page doesn't actually make saves anymore... And this not having revision history, oh joy...

Also, what does it mean when some areas on the image-map are showing as magenta instead of black?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  5. Bors

First Language:
    Bulgarian
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    So, after I don't know how many hours on this I'm still stuck at trying to get saving games to work again... anyhow...

It vexes me to no end how the UX on something billed as a visual editor can be so raw. For example, let's say I want to change the number of save game pages as in my initial example. Then
    [​IMG]

To top it off, 2 to 5 are not available either and you can't even use the "debug" view to make the changes. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I love how relatively easy it is to enter content and arrange scenes in VNMaker, but the clunkiness of modifying a project's interface and how under-baked the UI/UX of the software itself is might end up killing the product for a lot of people.

Attached Files:

6. Bors

First Language:
    Bulgarian
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    OK... So I've taken to using DreamWeaver to mass search through project files and the answer to my last question is 611C50B503B7324D026B38669E1A2D89103D.json

Then using Notepad++'s compare function, I noticed elements that differ from the sample project and are visible when comparing the code but not noticeable from within VN Maker. Fixing these game me back the ability to actually make saves. Now, the next step would be to figure out why the "pages" are broken and I can only use the first 6 save slots.

Also, why are certain hotspots purple?
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Kentou

Hi, can you send us the latest version of your project so we can take a look at it? If you build your save menu based on the action-based default one, make sure that all switches and common events are correct. It is hard to say without seeing your actual project.

8. SimProse

SimProse Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Nice looking menu screen, BTW!