Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello!

I have been working on a hybrid visual novel/RPG game, which means there are some scenes with a lot of dialogue where the player can't pause the game, save, or anything else.

When I did some digging to see if a plug in existed this was the closest post I could find.

The dream plug in would be some sort of tool that would pause the currently running event and let me run a custom picture/graphic based menu, but I would also be really happy to just be able to save in the middle of events, so that way players can stop, and then come back to the game without having to reread dialogue, or miss anything.

If anyone can help me out with this I would be super grateful!!

poorrabbit

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
While I have no help at all on plugin recommendations, I have an idea that might be helpful....

How about have a number of predetermined points in the dialog, where you ask the player "Would like to save now?". If the dialog is really that long, it seems likely to me that you'll have some points in the conversations where such a pause wouldn't be too jarring.

And I lie, I do have a plugin recommendation:

How about just having it autosave at certain points in the conversation?

jjraymonds

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
While I have no help at all on plugin recommendations, I have an idea that might be helpful....

How about have a number of predetermined points in the dialog, where you ask the player "Would like to save now?". If the dialog is really that long, it seems likely to me that you'll have some points in the conversations where such a pause wouldn't be too jarring.

And I lie, I do have a plugin recommendation:

How about just having it autosave at certain points in the conversation?
Oh interesting, I'll have to give it a look, I didn't think too much about having auto saves during dialogue but that could be a good option as well. (Especially seeing how this plug-in seems to be able to save in a separate auto-save slot)

Thanks for the pointer!

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there was a threat before, if it has alot of cutscenes and go over to the next one.
for example, 1 scene in a cav, but another cutscene is deeper in the cave,
you can create a choice: do you want to save?

when yes:
Script: SceneManager.push(Scene_Save)
when No
nothing happends and the story continue :)

those can be used for long parts if they want to save or not.
autosave feature need to be done correctly, but also forces a save,
if they dont want it yet :)

but it is entirely up to you, there might be other methodes too.

ArcanaMoonShine

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanisg
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you are talking about an autosave function, i get it, but you dont need and plug in for a Save between dialogs, all you need is Yes or No.

Just place after the dialog you want to introduce a Save Point "Do you want to save? Yes or No" Using "Show Choice" If "Yes" Go to the page 3 at Scene Control there is an option there "Open Save Screen" with that, you can make Save option during dialongs. Is quite usefull for testing to more complex event after X Dialog where you want to something big happend so you can make your tweks here and there :)

jjraymonds

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there was a threat before, if it has alot of cutscenes and go over to the next one.
for example, 1 scene in a cav, but another cutscene is deeper in the cave,
you can create a choice: do you want to save?

when yes:
Script: SceneManager.push(Scene_Save)
when No
nothing happends and the story continue :)

those can be used for long parts if they want to save or not.
autosave feature need to be done correctly, but also forces a save,
if they dont want it yet :)

but it is entirely up to you, there might be other methodes too.
That is definitely planned. Each long dialogue bit will have a fitting narrative pause where the player can save/take a break and come back later.
If you are talking about an autosave function, i get it, but you dont need and plug in for a Save between dialogs, all you need is Yes or No.

Just place after the dialog you want to introduce a Save Point "Do you want to save? Yes or No" Using "Show Choice" If "Yes" Go to the page 3 at Scene Control there is an option there "Open Save Screen" with that, you can make Save option during dialongs. Is quite usefull for testing to more complex event after X Dialog where you want to something big happend so you can make your tweks here and there :)
A show choice command would absolutely work, and I will use it during the narrative pauses I mentioned above, but the ideal thing would to have it be less intrusive.

Instead of having to ask if the player wants to save, and then have them click yes and such it would be nice for them to just be able to press a button like P or S or something for example so they can save when ever they want. Kind of like how visual novels handle saving.

ArcanaMoonShine

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanisg
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A show choice command would absolutely work, and I will use it during the narrative pauses I mentioned above, but the ideal thing would to have it be less intrusive.

Instead of having to ask if the player wants to save, and then have them click yes and such it would be nice for them to just be able to press a button like P or S or something for example so they can save when ever they want. Kind of like how visual novels handle saving.
NOW for this you probably you need a Plug in, just, the way i told you, by using the Scene control, it just pop up, the save screen, but if you want a button/fuction on the screen in the middle of the dialogue, yes, you going to need a script for that, RPG Maker does not give you that type freedom during events, and a visual novel style game, from RPG Maker perspective, cutscene event one after others.

Nothing bad with that, just saying... and has my professor once said: "Once you start studying Graphic Desing, you will see publicity from others" This apply for RPG Maker to, is hard no to see the thecnical aspect from a game once you start using it :)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

So yesterday Dad took me to Volcano Bay, and it was almost ruined by a thunderstorm... then it passed by and the lightning warning got lifted, leading to an awesome time sliding and swimming. Hopefully we get to go to the arcade tonight. The one we're planning on has a restaurant built in with AWESOME food. Not to mention how big the arcade itself is!
image_2021-06-13_150033.png

Maybe I'll actually try making a retro pack. Already have the shark fin made so why not xD
Hey everyone, for everybody following along with my RPG Maker MZ streams: There will unfortunately not be a stream tonight. There is a big exciting event that will go live next week that has been taking all my time, so look forward to that!
Took a small break by playing VR. Latest update of these glasses unfortunately caused a little of trouble but it can be fixed with a manual operation.

Until You Fall is freaking awesome.
I am SO HYPED to share this trailer with everyone when its done. I almost want to tear up i had no idea how far i came along with Fallen Feather in these last 3 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corim