CrowStorm

Storm crow descending, Winter unending.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, so I hope this is the right forum, although the weird issue I'm running into might be RMMV's core behavior, I honestly have no idea.

Anyway, I'm a little--okay, maybe more than a little--OCD. I really like having everything neat and tidy and organized just so, and that includes my save files in the game project. I had a dozen saves spread pretty randomly over 24 save slots, so I took a moment to organize and consolidate them, like "hmm, I don't really need Save 4, let's delete that and rename Save 5 to Save 4", stuff like that. Generally this has worked...except when it hasn't...and I am really baffled. Using this technique--or moving save files out of the save folder, renaming them and porting them back in, which should be the same thing--I've been able to get all of my saves where I want them, except for File3, and File9. For no particular reason that I can figure out, when I load up test play, even though I have quadruple-checked and File3 and File9 are definitely IN the save folder and there's nothing as far as I can tell that's wrong with them or different about them, they appear as empty slots on the save/load screen. Like I said, I can't tell how they're different from any of the other save files, all of which I was able to rename/move like this without issue.

It is really baffling me. Like, if none of the files were working that'd send a clear message that RMMV does not like when you mess around with the savegame directory like this, but the fact ti's just those two files is...effing mystifying. I wonder what role if any do global.rpgsave and config.rpgsave play? I'm pretty sure that config.rpgsave has no bearing on this, and it seems like removing global.rpgsave made the program think that I had no save files at all to load (all slots empty), but beyond that I'm not at all sure.

In case it helps, I attached the two save files and also a save file I was able to rename/move and load without any problem WAIT, nevermind that, .rpgsave is not an allowed extension on these forums. : "(

Anyhow, plz halp! While I'm grateful it's not keeping me from working on my game, this is a real head scratcher. Thx.

EDIT: Oh, none of my other plugins impact the save scene at all.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When you had them spread randomly over the save slots, were slots 3 and 9 taken, or were they empty?

If you would care to zip up your project and your save folder and send me a link, I'd be happy to take a peek at it for you after I get home from work.

I can't think of anything off-hand in the MV default system that would affect this.

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When you had them spread randomly over the save slots, were slots 3 and 9 taken, or were they empty?
This would be my guess, too. The save screen references global.rpgsave for its display: it doesn't touch any save file until you select one to load. The issue occurs in the default engine: if you rename the files without editing global.rpgsave then the global save data will reference the wrong slots. :kaoback:

Yanfly's Save Core offers a Delete function; to move a save to another slot I would highly recommend loading that save, saving to the new slot, then deleting the old slot. This may involve a bit of "Towers of Hanoi" if you don't have many empty slots to play around with. :kaoswt:

CrowStorm

Storm crow descending, Winter unending.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks guys. Not sure why I didn't get a notice about this thread, I thought I'd actually opted in to it in this case. *scratches head*

As it turns out, something about the interaction between YEPItemCore and YEPShopCore meant selling an "Independent" item in any of my save games caused a crash error. I'm guessing it was something about the code that initialzies at New Game: a script I used to use for VXA to give items charges had a somewhat similar problem, in that any new items/equipment added to the database (and possibly any changes made to existing items, I forget) would not actually EXIST until a New Game was started.

Upshot: I've gotta redo all my saves anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Learning Action Sequences!
ANY FEEDBACK APPRECIATED!

Online Platformer TEST DEMO 0.1 - 4 simple Maps. Just jumping test. (I still have 2 minor problems to fix).
So ms store had an idea to nuke the the entire app when the file integrity is slightly broken.
Im on another months long scripting high. I wonder if I can go SSJS3?

Version Fille in english is now complete!
Download the game on itch.io:
Talk about it here: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/120802/

Enjoy and share!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zenmai