Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello all,

So my game is using @TheoAllen Anti-Lag script (link here): https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/theo-insane-anti-lag-version-1-1-added-page-check-enhancer.34650/

However, one of the people playing my game has reported that when they save the game the 2nd time on a map, the game will hang for a minute or more. It only occurs the 2nd time it is saved on the same map, not the first time. Windows will go as far as to say not responding for a few minutes too.

System specs of the person who ran into this:

2.4 GhZ computer, 8 GB, Windows 10 64 bit. They moved it to a SSD HD and still hit the issue even.

So...what can be causing this? Can it be a script issue that is causing it to hang on certain computers? Or could it be a windows or background software issue? For the record it doesn't do this on my computer, I tested by spamming save 5 times in a row on a map when you had the most actors, and my tester didn't run into this on a low end PC, so I'm at a loss as to what could be causing it. Any ideas?

Kawers

Ripping off Final Fantasy with Industrial Aplomb
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This might be a stupid suggestion, but they're not playing it on something that cloud saves are they? My laptop despises cloud saving and will become increasingly laggy the bigger the save file becomes if I keep trying to do it, even if the game otherwise runs perfectly.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This might be a stupid suggestion, but they're not playing it on something that cloud saves are they?
all saves are local, but the computer could be set to sync with a cloud server, and if they have the game in a user-specific folder within the system, it could have been swept along with all the user's files.
Ace does save it's data within a user folder, but IDK about the game itself.
ask them to play offline if possible.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Cloud saves are possible. I know windows 10 can get interesting with that. Though we do have an update, seems it only occurs if they make a new save as one of the two saves. In other words, if they save into an already used slot 2x or 3x it doesn't occur, the delay seems to be with making the new save only.

Can there be a windows program that might interfere with write operations to disc? I know in the DOS days such programs existed, I used one to try to cache disc write operations so things ran faster, and I think Window's disc write follows the same idea so you can play instead of waiting for it to write your 600 MB file (or whatever it is). Does anyone know of a program that might interfere with this somehow?

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Works fine for me with the demo.
upload_2019-9-15_20-12-56.png
Save files are made in the game folder.

Is the full game with an installer? Does it get put in the program files folder?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
No installer used, just the standard .exe that RPGMaker makes.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wonder if they have some sort of antivirus program that could be causing it. Any chance they have access to a second machine and could install the game there and see if they have the same issue?

If they save in a new slot, then again in another new slot, then again in another new slot, is it happening each time?

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm the mystery player, so I can answer some of these questions.

• No cloud saving, ever. All done to the save files within the folder, nothing user defined.
  • Tried on 2 machines, with different anti virus programs. Same problem on both. Neither machine has this problem with other RM games.
  • The problem only became really apparent in Chapter 2, i.e. after the demo ends. Perhaps because something cumulative was happening?
  • I am surprised by the size of the save files, which are on average double what I have seen in other Ace games. They also seem to have a strange aspect. The file sizes go like this: 546Kb, 610Kb, 727Kb. The next save file drops down to 251Kb, then 967Kb (what?!). Then another drop to 138Kb, 424Kb, 631Kb. The latest new file, saved seconds after the last one is 370Kb. I personally don't understand why the next new save file is smaller than the previous - unless the save file is maybe double saving something?
  • Clarifying a misunderstanding on bgillisp's part - it wasn't happening on new saves, but on saving over an existing save file. Now new saves ( did several, as per Shaz's suggestion) have a short delay, but nothing like as much - but that might be accounted for by the reduced size of the file.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Regarding the save file size, I guess it's because of the map size. The game unloads the previous map. So when you save in a small-sized map, the size is reduced. When you save in the larger map, the size increased. It MIGHT partially due how I handle event cache for the anti-lag using a 2D table (the larger the map, the larger the table will be). But I haven't really tested a game that is saved on a large map with many events and the one in a small map. Maybe, someone could test it?

Regarding my end, nothing unusual. Granted, I haven't yet passed the first chapter. Everything went smooth so far. I'll see if I have reached the second chapter.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Save file size could depend on pretty much any other script that you're using - anything that sets stuff up that needs to be retained from one game to another.

Do you have a list of all the scripts you're using that might fall into this category? Doing a search for any of the following might highlight potential candidates:

module DataManager
class Game_System

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Regarding the save file size, I guess it's because of the map size. The game unloads the previous map. So when you save in a small-sized map, the size is reduced. When you save in the larger map, the size increased.
That seems logical - except until you consider the last 2 save files, one at 631Kb and the next at 370Kb. That isn't due to saving on a smaller map because I haven't moved, not even one tile. The data should be absolutely identical, except for a short increase in the length of game play.

But I have just noticed something interesting. I deleted the extra new save slots that I'd used to check Shaz's suggestion. I just saved another new one to check the file size. The previous save file shows the total number of times the game has been saved as 129 (I save often, don't judge me). This new one shows the total number of times as 134 - i.e. it's still recording the now deleted saves in its total. Is it meant to do that? If those saves really do not exist, then any data, such as the number of times saved, should also not exist. But clearly it does, otherwise the total would not jump from 129 to 134.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There is a method in Game_System called on_before_save that just increments the save count. If you saved, then saved again without starting a new game, the save count in the latest save should be one more than in the previous. However, I have seen some scripts call this method when they weren't saving, so that could be incorrectly inflating the figure.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Shaz I think you're correct. I've done some experimenting, and the number is increased. What I think is happening is that the autosave adds one to the counter every time you change the map, as the number has increased by 4 between my last save and this one. I wonder what else it's saving beyond the normal autosave function?

As an irrelevant side note, I don't feel quite so bad about the outrageous number of total save files showing. I'm not such a neurotic player as I had come to believe!

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Kes Because the save counter is increased when you save it doesn't care if you delete the save later, it still counts on the save count. That's true in default RPGMaker as far as I can tell.

The autosave only saves at plot points. I disabled it for anything else (map entry, battle start, etc). The only time it autosaves is when I execute the script call in an event.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@bgillisp I took the nuclear option, ditched all my progress and started a new game. Three results from that.

The save problem has simply gone away.
The bug which gave me Josie's gear too soon is no longer there.
I am now prevented from re-entering room 604.

It is still the same downloaded version (with day 1 patch) so it's not as if a file got corrupted and has now been replaced, but to have 3 bugs no longer present suggests something was wrong with that particular game.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Kes : The day one patch fixed the two you mentioned. But glad it seems to have disappeared?

I think what probably happened was something got into memory that shouldn't have and corrupted it once. No idea how or what though. I did check and the sizes will vary as much as you did post, though that is because the save engine saves both the table for the area and the current event (current event if you save in the middle of an event), as well as location of every event on the map. Since that will change from map to map, there will be differences. Though it shouldn't change if you save two saves 1 second apart, that is just odd.

PS If you want a Chapter 2 save just let me know. I got one as soon as you enter the overworld I could send you.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@bgillisp - yes, it's that difference between saves that are only seconds apart which I find the most odd. I think you're right, something must have got into the memory that shouldn't. Probably one of those x in a million chances, and no one else will ever have it - though if they do, you can tell them that probably the only resolution is a new game.

Thanks for the offer of a Ch.2 save, but I'll soldier on with what I have. It would feel somehow less satisfying to complete having used someone else's save file.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ok, well good to know it seems to be fixed. And as an FYI I do have saves near the start of every Chapter in case someone needs them for some reason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be going live early today as I will be working on some music before I transition to art! When I switch to art, I will be focusing on making a new stream avatar~ Feel free to drop by!
For anyone who has uploaded a game to Steam and wonders if they actually check your game's build when you first upload it, I can personally vouch for Steam.
6 more towns to make in my game. SIX. not done with interiors yet but SIX EXTERIORS.
what to do when you come across a person that has stated "What if I say, f*** their EULA? I could probably get away with it." concerning asset packs sold here... on this site ...
So a guy enters in a bar and walks up to the counter. He looks the bartender with a mysterious look and asks him...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zojin