Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't have a preference for either. What I care most is:
  1. Does it work?
  2. Can I end up in an unwinnable state upon loading a save file?
The second one is very important for the developer, as you probably don't want the player to start all over again because they skipped a key item in a one-time location. And if you want, well... you're a cruel person.
Sure, it's amusing to see vidéos on how to get stuck in Pokémon games (games with a Save menu option, mind you), mainly because they require a bunch of steps that are unlikely to happen in a normal playthrough, but once the trap is done, good luck finding a way to get out!

YoraeRasante

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@CraneSoft THAT is the game I was thinking about when @FirestormNeos mentioned the mechanic. I remember being pretty angry when I found out my save did not really save my position. Like, it is an rpg, why do this?

@Wavelength that is what I meant earlier when I said there was not many diegetic way to remind players to save in Save Anywhere games, breaking suspension of disbelief. A save point when you can save anywhere would just pop out to the player. Sue, save points are by nature non-diegetic... until games like chrono cross,

KoalaFrenzy

Eucalyptus Salad. Every day.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A combination of auto save and the option to save at will is pretty much a requirement for traditional RPGs. "Level" based games can get away with just saving at the start of the level or with checkpoints.
If your save can get you stuck, as per a comment above, that's a design flaw which should be addressed rather than altering standard save systems.

ItsAri

That one Weeb
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use save points similar to the ones from the Bravely Series where there would be a certain person in
town or in dungeons for basic save access. I use it since it's sort of a sub-plot and a better warning for upcoming boss fights

ave36

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm making a shameless imitation of old Final Fantasy games (for me RPG Maker is pretty much the Make Your Own Final Fantasy Editor), so it's save anywhere on the map and save points in towns/dungeons. Save points occur often.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Save points for pc, sure, but for android, nay.

Anthony Xue

Ancient Architect
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
So.. quick background on my current main..
The player can save just about anywhere, at just about anytime. It's not exactly free though. They need to have (Name not finalized) at least one Scroll of Memory. It's a consumable item only usable from the menu. Yes, you can buy them. They are pretty inexpensive. Also, they are found all over the place and are also rewards for mini-missions, etc.
It's interesting that this point has been ignored, even though I think that the combination "save points + consumable save items" might be the golden way.

The general idea behind limiting saves in our day is to preserve tension, as @Wavelength has described it. I don't know how many people in this forum read the CRPGAddict, but one of his main points when describing combat systems is how combat loses any thrill if the worst that can happen is "reload, lose 27 seconds of game time". Same for dungeon exploration or even for simple conversations that may or may not have consequences. Quicksave/Quickload into oblivion.

So effectively, players should be able to save whenever and wherever they want, but do they have to be able to save infinitely often whenever and wherever? Probably not. So, I think the system of having infinite saves at save points, but limited saving anywhere else - notably limited by frequency, not by location - has a lot of merit.
Of course, there's the problem that players might get into the habit of not saving to preserve "Scrolls of Memory" or whatever, and then forgetting to save when they really should...

Which leads me to another option: allowing "save anywhere", but having save points with additional benefit. This way, their presence is not a punishment for the player by forcing them to play in the way they don't want, but rather a nudge to get them into the direction the designer intends. The most obvious way would be a complete party healing. If healing is otherwise not all that easy to come by, then there's still considerable motivation for the player to use the save points as home bases for dungeon exploration. And all the saving liberty in the world doesn't help much if you've gone too deep and won't make the way back because of your severe injuries...

I haven't made a definite decision yet, but I'll definitely use one of these in my current project.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I need to remember that if i want to learn to map like a pro, I need to spend hours doing it like a noob again and again… also, a cool map sometimes has hours/even days of work behind. I need to remember that too.
Yo there how's it going rpg community.
It's raining non stop since yesterday. The sound of the rain is so soothing.
I really miss the old style disney animated movies. I guess the last one was The Princess and the Frog from 2009. Now I am trying to collect every single one I can get on BD or DVD.
What I've seen from the MZ tiles looks pretty inconsistent, bleh. Every plant seems to be drawn in a different style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GhostAcc