AeroFunk80

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been recently having an issue with RPG Maker MV. I've been using this for years and not sure why it's suddenly doing this... I don't ever recall this happening prior til just recently (the last couple of months).

When I'm working on my project and hit save... that works fine. I save, test, make changes, save, test, make changes. It's saving at those points. However; there have, recently, been issues where my RPG Maker just shuts down on me. Not sure what's causing that (used to never happen), but when I reopen my project... it reverts back to several saves ago. It's like my recent saves didn't actually register, despite the fact I've tested it multiple times (which you have to save to do) and have hit the save icon at the top.

I'm not sure if this is a plugin issue or something with RPG Maker itself. Not sure how a plugin would impact this. I do back my project up quite a bit, but when I'm working on my game for a couple of hours... I'm not backing it up at that point. It doesn't happen often, and I'm not sure what causes it, so I don't really have a way to properly test it...

Has this happened to anyone else? Know what's causing it? Could a plugin cause this?

Both my project and editor versions are 1.6.2.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1) it isn't a plugin issue as most is outside editor in order to work.

2) if you updated the NWJS, this could be 1 issue (cannot tell for sure),
so you can try to lower a version?

3) if it happens often after the last save, maybe a good idea to
back up the project after your done that day?

I dont have the issue or found it, it could also be a virus/malware on
system that could cause it, but that would be harder to pinpoint.

AeroFunk80

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If I'm being honest... didn't even know about the NWJS solution. I tried that out and will see if it helps. Saved a backup version of both NWJS-win & NWJS-win-test JUST in case. However; my game's working with the more stable version so fingers crossed. :)

Just a quick question to make sure I selected the correct one (or one you recommend)... I used this site: https://nwjs.io/downloads/

I got the Windows 64-bit SDK (Stable v0.65.1). I see they used a lower version and curious if there was one you'd recommend? I would like to put this game on Steam eventually.

I actually followed this tutorial:

Do you recommend v0.65.1 or a lower version?

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
Bruce
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Weird. Maybe because there are several projects opened.

When opening TVPaint on a blank project, by my side it doesnt trigger the save alarm. But Im on Linux, so the behaviour may be a little different.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there are a few different possibilities that could cause your problem.

can you please give us the complete folderpath to your project? From drive letter to index.html, and not that shortcut "this computer" but the full path.
One of the causes is if your project is cloudsync'ed, and that usually becomes visible in the folderpath.

second possibility is if you made the mistake of deploying into your project folder.
please check your project folder, does it contain a folder www?
the www folder is deployment only and should never be in the project folder.

AeroFunk80

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there are a few different possibilities that could cause your problem.

can you please give us the complete folderpath to your project? From drive letter to index.html, and not that shortcut "this computer" but the full path.
One of the causes is if your project is cloudsync'ed, and that usually becomes visible in the folderpath.

second possibility is if you made the mistake of deploying into your project folder.
please check your project folder, does it contain a folder www?
the www folder is deployment only and should never be in the project folder.

Here's the file path to the index folder. Figured I'd just share a screenshot. Also, no WWW folder either:

1655852662753.png

Thank you!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's the file path to the index folder.
no, it is not.
I specifically stated that I didn't want the path with the "this computer" shortcut, but the one starting with the drive letter.
But your screenshot starts with exactly that "this PC".
And the desktop is one of the folders that often get cloudsync'ed without your knowledge if you click on the wrong button.

right-click on any of the files, select properties and then check for a line that is called location or something like that depending on your language. that should give the true folderpath.

and you should move your projects to a different folder anyway, the desktop is a bad choice for something like that. a specific folder like c:\rm-projects is usually better.
and make sure that the folderpath does not contain spaces in any name - that will cause problems on deployment otherwise.

AeroFunk80

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
no, it is not.
I specifically stated that I didn't want the path with the "this computer" shortcut, but the one starting with the drive letter.
But your screenshot starts with exactly that "this PC".
And the desktop is one of the folders that often get cloudsync'ed without your knowledge if you click on the wrong button.

right-click on any of the files, select properties and then check for a line that is called location or something like that depending on your language. that should give the true folderpath.

and you should move your projects to a different folder anyway, the desktop is a bad choice for something like that. a specific folder like c:\rm-projects is usually better.
and make sure that the folderpath does not contain spaces in any name - that will cause problems on deployment otherwise.

Ah, I did misread :) Here's the actual file path, but I did just move it to my C-drive. I tend to put everything on my Desktop... probably not the best idea. So it's in a new location now. Here's where it WAS:

C:\Users\jh\OneDrive\Desktop\Gray Bard\01. Games\01. Unfinished\bio-Synthetica

Also... the spaces after the 01. Unfinished will be removed. Wasn't aware of that, either. I'll take your suggestions and see if that fixes it. Not really able to test, but if I work on my game for a while and it doesn't happen again... we can assume it's fixed LOL For now I'll just back it up several times a day. Thanks!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
see the part of the path that says "oneDrive"?
That is Microsoft's Cloudservice and most probably the cause of the problems.

I don't have time to go into the technical details, but due to the high amount of data the RPG-Makers use databasing file access, not regular file access, and that causes problems with cloudsync's.

If you move the project to outside onedrive and make manual backups, the problem should be solved (although a true crash might still cause lost files, that is why you need backups).

So be warned: If the shutdowns were caused by a third program instead of OneDrive you still need to find that cause. But one possible cause of problems is now identified and removed.

AeroFunk80

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
see the part of the path that says "oneDrive"?
That is Microsoft's Cloudservice and most probably the cause of the problems.

I don't have time to go into the technical details, but due to the high amount of data the RPG-Makers use databasing file access, not regular file access, and that causes problems with cloudsync's.

If you move the project to outside onedrive and make manual backups, the problem should be solved (although a true crash might still cause lost files, that is why you need backups).

So be warned: If the shutdowns were caused by a third program instead of OneDrive you still need to find that cause. But one possible cause of problems is now identified and removed.
Thanks! I have moved my game and files to my c-drive, so hopefully that fixes the issue. Appreciate the help!

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Can you recognize where this area is from? :kaocry:
Mq9QM3h.png
For those with up to 9 elements of magic; how do you structure your database. By element? Or by what is offensive vs supportive spells?
would anyone here be interested in rough concept art for the main protagonist of my game that might get changed later? :kaoswt2:
I guess I have no idea how to properly upload a custom font lmao. The menu fonts are too damn small.

Font_Size.PNG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bohnez