Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Save the City

Synopsis

Save the City
is the fusion of the over run cities, settings, and tropes of 90s hits like Streets of Rage and Final Fight merged with the gameplay mechanics of traditional JRPGs such as Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest!

There are only so many tragedies people can take before enough is enough. After another young, innocent, teenager is shot dead by police the city becomes engulfed in chaos. As things escalated, those with sense fled and criminals took advantage of an over-burdened and distrusted police force. If things carry on like this, it won't be long before the streets pass the point of no return.

Take control of the accused and disgraced cop, a crime boss, and the victim's angry, grieving, older brother as they try to unravel the truth behind both the shooting and the shocking response that led to the current state of affairs.

Screenshots

Plot
The city's gone to hell. Yet another kid's been shot, the people are angry, peaceful protests have given way to rioting, arson, and looting. Those who didn't run away when the trouble started are now finding themselves overwhelmed and are losing the fight.

The gangs are taking advantage of the confusion and pressure on the authorities to claim new territory and expand their operations. If this continues, the city will soon be theirs.

The only thing that might calm the violence and open the door to rebuilding the city? The truth behind what happened that night and bringing those responsible to justice.

Characters

Save the City stars three unlikely allies thrown together by circumstance and fighting against the world's perceptions of them.

David Warrens

A disgraced former police officer who's being blamed for the incident that sparked the riots which have engulfed the city. David's out to find the truth, clear his name, and preferably take down a few of his corrupt former colleagues along the way.

In battle - David relies on kicks, agility, and support tools. His fighting style is fast and technical, so use him to exploit enemy weaknesses, stun foes, and create openings for your team.

Eliza Gould
Owner of Club Claret and leader of a criminal gang known only as "the Reds". She has her suspicions over the benefits and advantages a rival gang's seeing as a direct result of the riots, and when her club's attacked she decides to take matters into her own hands.

In battle - Eliza's a born leader and skilled manipulator who's not afraid to fight dirty. She'll be your go to for buffs and debuffs.

Callum 'Cal' Drake
The older brother of a teenager who died in the incident that started all of this. Cal will do anything, and hurt anyone, to find the truth and get his revenge.

In battle - Cal is a tank, able to take and dish out more damage than anyone else. You'll be using him to aggro enemies and keep the focus off your allies.

About me
I've been using RPG Maker since I was around 12 or 13, when I was introduced to RPG Maker 2003 by a friend in high school. 16 years later, I'm still using RPG Maker having upgraded to MV.

There were certain things I always wanted to do in life:
  • get a full-time art & design job
  • create and release a comic
  • create and release a game
The first two, I can tick off my list. My day job is creating training games and sandbox systems simulations for professionals using an engine that's actually surprisingly similar to RPG Maker in a lot of ways. I've also created and released several comics (at the time of writing this, Arcadia one shot; Joe Cape issues 1 to 3; Unfamiliar Skies issues 1 and 2; and Sometimes, I Just Want to Kill You All issue 1).

Technically, I have released some games on forums like Picceta's, where I was involved in Dragon Ball fan games, Gaming World, where I posted a demo for Four Sided Triangle, and RMN, where I released Fenrir: First Operation and short contest entry Beyond the Gate, but those all felt like little hobby games from an amateur. I've never released what I'd consider a full commercial game using primarily original assets. That's what I'm now aiming to do with Save the City.

Scope & goals
I'm looking to release this as a commercial game on Steam once complete. I've scoped a Minimum Viable Porduct (MVP), I've chosen to use pixel art because I'm used to it, I like to think I'm good at it, I can produce it relatively quickly, and it fits the aesthetic influences from not only Streets of Rage and Final Fight, but even has a Resident Evil 2 and 3 vibe so far.

While I've started learning JavaScript for my day job, I'm definitely an artist first and a programmer... not even second or third, maybe eighteenth? I am using some commercial use scripts from people like Yanfly and SumRndmDde for the basics, 720p resolution, battle HUD, etc but I primarily want to use what RPG Maker provides, so expect the normal side-view battle system where the skills and enemies make it interesting rather than relying on what could be considered flashy gimmicks.

I also don't even know where to start in terms of creating music, but I don't want to use the stock tunes that come with MV. In that regard, I've purchased the Modern Music Mega-Pack and M-Drive 16-bit Music Pack. I have to respect that I'm only one guy and I need to rely on others where I lack expertise if this game's ever going to see release.

Another challenge on that front is time. I do have a full-time creative career, I am a father of two, and I'm getting married in October to my partner of ten years. I'm rewriting my daily routines to try and put more time into making this game so I can aim to release it within 12 months. I'd like to ask you guys to kick my butt and chase me if I go quiet for more than a week at a time.

Thank you for taking a look at my project. I'd welcome any comments or feedback you may have. I also intend to use this thread as something of a developer blog so be sure to check back regularly for updates and behind-the-scenes-info!

Last edited:

SJWebster

Too old for this ****
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A heads up to anyone of you thinking about organising your own wedding while working on an RPG Maker game while also taking on comic work while also holding the day job while also being a parent - yeah something's going to have to give somewhere! XD

Progress has been slower than I'd have liked, especially as I'm doing almost everything solo, but there is progress to report.
  • Started drawing tiles for and mapping the interior of Club Claret
  • Implemented Galv's message window plugin
  • Created my own custom pixel font from scratch for that old school look
  • Purchased the M Drive music pack DLC to give the game a Mega Drive Streets of Rage style soundtrack - it's a perfect fit!

Some things the screenshots don't show:
  • The nightclub floor is actually transulcent and the parallax image is set to the lighting and such on the roof so it looks kind of relective
  • The dance floor actually uses the water tile slots so it can be animated, the lights dance around
  • The area outside Club Claret has been expanded with some other buildings present

Still to do on the nightclub interior:
  • Add the DJ's booth
  • Add the seating area
  • Add the stairs to the VIP lounge
  • Add details like urinals, sinks, mirrors, tills, fill the stockroom with kegs, etc.
  • Add the primary plot point and boss of this area
screen005.jpg screen004.jpg

SwiftSign

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Interesting and unique pixel art :) cool work so far. Will be interesting to find out how the gameplay works, as it seems like more of a challenge to integrate RPG-style battles into a modern era, non-fantasy game.

Jayje

THE Lone Indie Cheese!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I like the theme of this and can't wait to see how you execute it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

convention concluded, i'm glad the books well received and sold out
not every content is decent, but i'll be better for the next work.

now back to game developing
I hope to be able to post my vxace resource edits this Wednesday.
Not sure if I'll get to the library though.
Me: Man, I'm definitely burned out this time. Time for a break. Me three hours later: I'm ready to work again, let's go! Me another hour later: Okay, I can't do this anymore. Repeat for infinity.
Just got MV and am working on porting over my new game from VX Ace to it! I haven't done much with my new game so it should be pretty quick.
I was doing forge runs on D2 with my wife last night, and singing like a leprechaun to annoy her XD. I was calling it 'The Farge'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldencarroteater