Saving and Options Errors in Downloadable Version

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Thordon123, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Thordon123

Thordon123 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Enigma Virtual Box- http://enigmaprotector.com/en/downloads.html

I've recently put my game up on itch.io as a single, downloadable file which I created through Engima Virtual Box. It plays fine mostly, save for two errors:

One: The game can't be saved (when I try it just makes a "cancel" sound)

Two: When I try to go into the options menu and then back out I receive an error message (attached) and can't return to the normal in-game menu or the game itself.

I'm fairly certain the issue that the cause must be the same for both issues, and it has to be a problem with either the deployment or the virtual boxing but I can't figure out which. Has anybody run into this problem before?

Attached Files:

2. JtheDuelist

JtheDuelist Just a dev who actually got a game finished Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Thordon123 People have been saying my demo has the same issues. Wonder if anyone knows a solution.

3. Faherya

Faherya The Knight of the Sad Figure Veteran

First Language:
    Português
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The Enigma Virtual Box, for all I know, is incompatible with RPG Maker MV. There is no way to encrypt your game through this program without making good adaptations. And I say this thinking that it is possible, I am not very sure.

4. JtheDuelist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Faherya We aren't talking about the encryption part, we are talking about the boxing/packing of the deployed project as a stand-alone exe rather than a exe with all the folders present as well.

5. Faherya

Faherya The Knight of the Sad Figure Veteran

First Language:
    Português
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That is, encrypting your game with Enigma can cause systems that need to manipulate data in the files (Save, for example) to not work. They've tested it around here a few months ago. Works well with 2k3, XP, Ace, but for some reason does not work with MV. It may be that the MV code does not recognize the files and folders inside the .exe and continue searching for a specific directory. But that has been a while. If anyone found a solution I did not know.

Edit: Well, there must be a way. The MV manual itself explains how the Enigma should be used. It's one of the last topics.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  6. JtheDuelist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  7. Thordon123

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Huh well I'm not alone then, I guess. I suppose I'll just have to upload the entire folder.

8. Veno

Veno Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thordon123 likes this.
  9. JtheDuelist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Thordon123 I actually found a way to fix the Saving and Options errors that doesn't need a plugin like @Veno is suggesting- after packing the game, before you zip the file, also add a external "www" folder with it with the only thing in said "www" folder is a empty folder called "save". Much simpler than trying to find a plugin to do it, plus it allows the player to the option to freely and externally backup their save data by actually being able to find the file that contains their save data.

Thordon123 likes this.
  10. Thordon123

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Lovely, actually just had hiddenone tell me about you finding this out when she was talking about my demo lol. I'll be sure to try it, seems like a nice and elegant fix

11. JtheDuelist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I also included a notice the player has to read with the game (in the same book as the first puzzle hint in my demo) that says:
    "Important Notice! Do not delete the "www" folder included with the game! If you delete the folder, you will be unable to save your game progress...". I made it where the player can't just overlook the book that has the notice- they have to read it to proceed.

Thordon123 likes this.
  12. Veno

Veno Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you use that plugin, the save file goes somewhere other than the www folder so then the notice isn't necessary :p

13. JtheDuelist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Veno But what about the player who wants to back up their save data? That plugin prevents that, which may drive away potential players who want back up their save but can't. Plus that plugin also doesn't fix the OTHER error the OP stated, where the settings menu crashes the game, unless you got yet another plugin for that part... Even then, having a blank folder that solves both problems rather than two plugins to fix the same errors is also easier on the developer by reducing overall file size by not having MORE plugins than needed- a blank folder takes no more than 5KB tops, while two plugins would take over 200KB. And in a world where many app stores, game hosting sites, and file sharing sites have data size limits, every KB you can shave off counts. Not to mention a smaller file size make it easier for players to download it- especially those with slow/bad internet connections (or the RNG gods forbid, dial-up connection!). I know I'd take 5KB over 200KB for a bug fix, especially when many RM games can easily get to 400-800MB in size.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  14. Veno

Veno Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That plugin does not prevent it. You can just go to that different location
    (for windows, its C:\Users\__user___\AppData\Local\KADOKAWA) unless the 'KADOKAWA' part is changed in the package.json)

The plugin I gave fixes a native problem with the engine,
    the other issue is caused by one of his current plugins he would have to narrow down.
    (I know some fog and heavy dynamic weather plugins can cause it by creating a lot of extra saved weather data in the save files)

15. JtheDuelist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Veno OK, but my point about file size still remains, though...