Saving, Loading and Event Positions

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by EthanFox, Jul 14, 2019.

1. EthanFox

EthanFox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Question - if I "save" on a map, then quit, reboot, and load that save - should the events be in the positions they were in when I saved?

Surely they should, right?

I've got Yanfly's "save event locations" plugin, but in truth, I rarely use it, as I rarely have many elements which need to have their locations saved, so I tend to just do those with switches.

I had a problem with my game earlier where, when I loaded the save, one of my characters was in the wrong position, different to when I saved. I checked, and it turned out I had the "save event positions" flag on this map (I think I must have been experimenting with it ages ago when I first created this map).

So I tried removing the flag, and when I load the game, only the player and stationary events are in place - all the other moving events went back to their default positions.

This seems strange to me, as I don't understand; I assumed that the default behaviour of MV would be that if I save in a room, and reload the game, the contents of that room (including all moving events) would be saved.

My prior game was quite short (about half an hour), which means that it may have had bugs like this, but people didn't encounter them as they likely played the game in one sitting. The new one is several hours long so I really need to fix this.

Can someone clarify how it's supposed to work?

EDIT: Okay this is really bothering me; does MV not save event positions in the room that a save takes place? If so, why does the program default to letting the user save anywhere? Surely that's going to cause tons of problems?!

FURTHER EDIT: Okay, I'm getting some really weird issues when I save and load. Is it right to say that after you make changes to a game, you need to consider all prior savegames invalid? As if so, that might explain the problems I'm seeing.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  2. ShadowDragon

ShadowDragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    if you save the game, and make minor changes, its possible the old save data would be invalid (unless you event it with the update)

if you are unable to do that, you have to start a new game and try again on a fresh game start and see if its still there.
    if it does, provide a short video or screenshot it so we can check for possible solutions.

3. EthanFox

EthanFox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It seems that way. My game uses a state machine which allows me to jump to any major point of the story, so I don't normally use it while testing. The only time I've used it previously was to test it worked okay after my game was finished, so this problem wouldn't occur if I was doing that.

Is it possible for someone to clarify if MV should remember the location of events within the same map upon which the user saved? I could do with knowing if that's the case.

4. Freakydedmnky

Freakydedmnky Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Is it all maps or just one or a couple this is doing it on? I recently had something like this happen where I did an in game save prior to adding someone to the party, what’s interesting is that the party member is already in my selection before asking if you want them to be, when you load the saved game. But I suspect that shadow dragon is onto something. I removed the save file and played it through again and it works fine.

5. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    the default behaviour is this:

1) the current map (including event positions) is saved into the savefile when saving, and should be restored on loading
    2) all other maps are NOT saved, which means that on entering a map all events are back to their editor positions for that map.
    3) when changing map data in the editor (especially while playing), there are some playtest tries to adapt to new data, but they are not guaranteed and if fail the map needs to be reloaded (resetting all data to stored values)
    4) plugins can mess up saved data, especially if they add their own data structure to it. That is why you should always start a new game in playtest after adding or removing a plugin.

6. EthanFox

EthanFox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    To be fair, I'm just testing it on this map for now and haven't widened it to others.

Thanks a bunch for this. I'm going to do more testing, but I think it's okay; I was just seeing problems caused by making changes and loading a savegame from a prior version.

Phew!

7. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    One thing I've noticed is event positions are often saved for that map, but if you make a change to the map, then hit save, it reloads the map which might be what you are seeing.