Say Hello to 2019!

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by samkfj, Jan 1, 2019.

1. samkfj

samkfj Bug Powder Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    2018 is almost over--and already done for many on this forum as you read this. Was it a bad year? Was it a good year? I can't answer for anyone but myself... but it was good--and it was bad.

I lost my father this year--I miss him very much; he was my hero and my biggest fan, I regret that he never got to hear me play my piano. I lost two friends too, one to drugs, and one to sickness; neither of which I spoke to in a while, and I regret that I didn't.

--but what good happened? Well... I came here, and I met all of you. Oh--sure, I had an account since 2016, but it wasn't until this year that I finally said something; and that, I do not regret--only that I wish I had done it sooner.

This place is a haven for amazing people; artists, musicians, scripters--but beyond that... this place is full of witty, intelligent and unforgettable peeps from around the world. Some of you I may have only spoken to once, some of you I have interactions with every day... and others not at all. However, many of you are what I call my friends; and I hope to increase that number this year.

This year, let's all continue to do what it is we're here for--to continue to make games that we want. That no one governs what we enjoy, and what we dream of. Let this year be the time where your dreams become realized. Look for that new job, find your girl/guy, buy that expensive thing you want. Find your joy, in whatever it may be.

--but above all, continue the work you put into your game; whether you complete it or not this year--let this be the time that when you look back on December 31st 2019... you can say "Wow--I did all this in one year?"

So--have a drink (in moderation), kiss someone, and get some rest... because on January 1st... I don't want to see anyone say they can't do it--because this is your year. 2019--belongs to you.

So--good night, good morning, good evening and good afternoon, and know that I love ya all--'til tomorrow. If you need me for anything; you know where to find me.

-Sam

2. OmnislashXX

OmnislashXX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I had a stroke- so yeah, it was bad for me. At least I had one last good summer at Mrytle Beach, I got to hold an alligator.

kaukusaki and samkfj like this.
  3. samkfj

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hold on strong, brother.

But yes, alligators are great creatures.

4. OmnislashXX

OmnislashXX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I am getting better. It's slow, no doubt about it, but things are coming back.

5. Philosophus Vagus

Philosophus Vagus The drunken bird dog of rpg maker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Been a mixed bag for me as well (as most years probably are for most people). Lost the greatest dog in the world (and no I'm not exaggerating) and my grandfather within two weeks of each other.

Met and dated a girl for 7+ months, was a nice change from my typically misanthropic existence.

Successfully flipped my first house and made out way better than I had initially hoped to do, also quit three jobs at the end of November and spent most of the last month van camping checking out potential places to move to.

Been a more positive than negative year overall I guess, If you cut out October it was a real great year; oddly enough bad things consistently happen to my family in October for some reason. My dad, both my grandfathers now, my dog and best friend all died in Octobers, as did my mom's best friend. We all drink a little more readily at this point when October comes around.

kaukusaki, OmnislashXX and samkfj like this.
  6. samkfj

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Let's hope October 2019 will be better.

kaukusaki likes this.
  7. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom, Ham of a Hamster Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For me 2018 was generally bad. I have pumped a ton of money into things I won't use, I have pumped a ton of effort into nonsensical things... I feel like I wasted another year of my life. I didn't get a girlfriend. And I lost my dad.
    And my 2019 didn't start well either. Fireworks until 5 am and I needed to get up at 7 to work.
    Nevertheless, I have learned a lot in 2018. I have matured a lot. I finally have a job. Badly paid, yes, but at least the demands are adequate. And I'm still alive and quite healthy.

I'm not looking forward for 2019. Because while I needed to be strong for past 5 years... Now I need to be stronger than ever. Crisis is at sight. In all economical, political and military spheres. And in our family as well. Mom is a total mess and brother only plays tough, but won't accept/take any responsibility. So I need to be stronger than ever.

kaukusaki, OmnislashXX and samkfj like this.
  8. Ryisunique

Ryisunique Detective, AUEI Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Well, I had a few major things that have left a bitter taste in my mouth over 2018. Forced out of our apartment of 10 years, completely passed over for DM of the section I've put 3 years into and the person brought in was someone I kinda "trained" (it was my second summer, so I knew some of it). Found out that someone else was told bs when he was passed over. Grandpa diagnosed with cancer, cousin's boyfriend committed suicide (am and will worried for her).

Had tiny good things happen. New things to watch, new fandom. This place, with funny people. First fandom things, starting to buy YouTuber Merch. (Game Theory. Next is Jack and Mark. Maybe.)

Well, 2019 is already starting with an early shift and my brain rebelling against my new glasses. But, days off coming up. As long as they're not conscripted into doing all of the housework.

OmnislashXX and samkfj like this.
  9. Sauteed_Onion

Sauteed_Onion Mmm Tasty Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I had a much better year (2018) than I thought I would. It started off I was in bad health, and getting over the drama of a divorce, and horrible bad feeling all around.. Learned a little about vidya game making thanks to this site, went from destitute broke and fighting with insurance company to actually having some $ toward the end, and got better job than I initially had. Overall, I can say I was undoubtedly blessed beyond anything I was hoping for. So can't say I ever got a justification to be a negative ninny anymore.

samkfj likes this.
  10. samkfj

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Am glad you're doing better now! Sorry to hear about your divorce. I went through that myself a few years ago. It certainly does get better, and your health being better is very good to hear.

Here's to you having a good 2019 :)

Sauteed_Onion likes this.
  11. kaukusaki

kaukusaki Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    2018 was a bad year. I was under the negative influence of fake friends who didn't have the best interests in mind. I can't talk about it but let's say I was severely punished for my involvement with those jive turkeys while they ran off free.

I could be bitter and plan my revenge but the best revenge is success. So I'm hard at work on my projects and getting them out of dev hell for these companies who want them. while those fools flip the same $250 and worry about getting shot up by cops and/or gangsters I'm chilling in my office doing the work I enjoy putting my degrees to use.

Sauteed_Onion and samkfj like this.