Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sarcasm
Primarily Uses
Scale Encounter Script

Created by Neon Black

What is it?

So while the random encounter rate is good, I personally do not like it since it takes a lot of the "random" out of random encounter. Sure it does prevent you from having to take hundreds of steps before you get into an encounter, but I really like having more of a random feel to when I get into random encounters. Aside from that, I don't really like when I take one or two steps and get into a battle right after another. Back in the days of RPG Maker 2003 I had decided I didn't like how "random" random encounters were, so I developed a custom random encounter formula. This formula pulled a value for a random encounter every turn and also increased the chance to get into a random encounter every turn by a small amount. Now I've just adapted this formula to work in VX Ace. Below are both the default encounter formula and my scaled encounter formula.

Old Formula: encounter = 0~average + 0~average + 1

This formula means you WILL get in to an encounter after a maximum no more than double the "average" plus 1 steps.

New Formula: encounter = the max of (1 to (100 - steps)) ~ (1 to average)

This is more or less a rough formula, but is should more of less give you the idea. The best way to put it is that the encounter rate starts at a ratio of 1 to 100 and will scale down with each step until the ratio reaches 1 to average steps.

Aside from this new encounter rate, you can also have an encounters gauge similar to the Ar Tonelico series which determines the max number of battles you can get into in an area. This option can be turned off if you so choose.

How can I use it?

Place this anywhere in your project above main but below the default scripts. There are a few settings that need to be set, namely the top value and scaling amount. You can also choose to enable or disable an encounters gauge. If you enable it, you will need to set the total number of encounters in an area. The best way to do this is to add the following script call to any transition events for entering an area.

• encounters(x) - Set "x" to the number of battles you want to have in the area. Once the player has gotten into that many battles, they will not get into any random encounters until the value is reset.

What does it look like?

What does it work with?

This script modifies how encounters are done performed, so generally any script that changes that will mess up compatibility with this script. Changing the appearance of encounters does not affect this script, however, such as my Unique Transitions script.

How can I get it?

Version 1.0b (base script, 7.17.2012) is available from my pastebin account here.

I would like to use this code.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.

Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://cphouseset.wo...d-terms-of-use/.

Author's disclaimer:

Day 3 of my week of crappy scripts! Just kidding. Anyway, I pretty much covered everything I wanted to about this script in the top section. I will say that this script did give me a little bit of a headache because of how Ace's default scripts decide to do things... oh well.... As always, if you have any issues with this scipt or any questions, feel free to post here or contact me, though honestly I've only been contacted about my VX scripts.... Either I have very issue free scripts or no one uses them. Anyway, as always, enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Err, so basically every step you take has an increasing chance of encounter.

Neon Black

The Classy Prostitute
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sarcasm
Primarily Uses
Err, so basically every step you take has an increasing chance of encounter.
Yes, that is the idea. I guess I kinda got off point in my description. With the default settings, the encounter rate starts at 1:100 odds. After taking a step, it would be 1:99 odds. With each step, the odds to get into a battle get greater until the odds reach the average steps on the map (I think 30 by default, so 1:30 odds). This makes it pretty darn unlikely to get into a battle on the first step (only a 1% chance) but increases the chance with each step.

Last edited by a moderator:

hyde9318

RMC Coordinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow. This is quite an awesome idea. I think this will help a lot for people who would rather use the random encounter method over the on-map encounters (like me).

Funny thing is, I was thinking about something similar to this the other day, but I wasn't 100% sure how to go about it. So thank you for this.

Hibiro

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Oh the irony. This is the exact thing I wanted to do on my game, but it's apparent the love for Ar Tonelico and Atelier are so small it's hard to find anything like this.

I was happy to find this script, but i'm getting a really annoying error. Not sure why either.

Script 'Game Interpreter' line 1411: NoMethodError occurred.

undefined method 'encounter' for #<Game_Interpreter:0x90d9af4>

Sorry if this is necro, but I REALLY want to use this script. It's one of my favorite methods for random encounters.

Neon Black

The Classy Prostitute
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sarcasm
Primarily Uses
"encounters" with an S buddy.

Glad you like it. :D

Hibiro

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
>.< Thanks. Mega derp there. Guess I was just so excited that someone did this.

The only thing now though is seeing how to alter it to use pictures to give it more graphical appeal like AT. But again, thanks so much for just doing this. I can now proceed with working on my game. (Once I get the kinks of the Djinn system worked out.)

Hibiro

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Sorry for double post, but quick question: Anyway to make it so the script shuts off on the World Map/certain maps and allows unlimited encounters without the gauge displaying?

Hibiro

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Really? No help with this at all? Please? I really just need it to not show on the World Map, still allowing encounters, but do show in Dungeons. Maybe I'm just missing something event wise.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I haven't make anything new yet, but I'm back addicted to writing some MZ plugins. Man, I wish I have more free time like I did 5 years ago.
Holy cow... work is demanding and I'm back in college. I'm kind of scared of my dad right now after the incident, but at least I don't live with him all the time. Anyway, working on Fandom Scouts and my FNAF character set. The FNAF sprites are actually going to be used in the game... unfortunately the enemy sprites are FNAF World traces, so no sharing those.
The honeymoon period is over with Cyberpunk 2077, It sadly doesnt live up to the hype, pretty graphics arent everything (especially when I cant even do something as simple as changing the radio station over!). Replaying Breath of the wild has reminded me what a good game really looks like, plus that one has good glitches!....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeJoTa