10kk

Parallel Process irl
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi, I was wondering if it's possible to scale up a VX-size Iconset to MV, I understand it's not as easy as just Resizing in an image editing program (without a big loss in quality). Can someone detail this process and specifics? Or share free to use resized Icon sets? Big thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:

10kk

Parallel Process irl
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are a number of threads that discuss resizing for MV and different tools available.  You should get some ideas if you do a search for them.

10kk

Parallel Process irl
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are a number of threads that discuss resizing for MV and different tools available.  You should get some ideas if you do a search for them.
I've read them but simple resizing just doesn't work. It's hard to sift through threads hoping to find a random post about the proper ratios they need to be upscaled :l

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV uses assets 1.5 times the size of Ace.  So 24x24 needs to be upscaled to 32x32, for an individual icon.  So whatever icon set you're using, you would scale it to 1.5 times its original size.

10kk

Parallel Process irl
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV uses assets 1.5 times the size of Ace.  So 24x24 needs to be upscaled to 32x32, for an individual icon.  So whatever icon set you're using, you would scale it to 1.5 times its original size.
Thank you, I ended up using waifu2x scaling a set to 1.6 then resizing it down in paint.net to the divisible width for MV (448?). Not really sure if its the most efficient way, because the icons are slightly blurry, but acceptable. Have no idea what im doing tbh, but at least it worked.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nope, 24 multiplied by 1.5 is 36
In the case of icons, they need to by upscaled by 1.333 to fit the new size

10kk

Parallel Process irl
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nope, 24 multiplied by 1.5 is 36

In the case of icons, they need to by upscaled by 1.333 to fit the new size
Is there any way to maintain decent quality on upscaled icons? In Paint.net , it seems all the resampling options don't make any differences.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This is has gone into territory covered by other threads about upscaling and isn't really about finding icons anymore, so I'm going to close it.

FYI, 10kk, there is absolutely no way to upscale to MV size without a 50% quality loss.  It's the nature of upscaling.  There are ways to make that loss of quality less obvious, but the only way to get something be at the right quality level for that size is to make it for that size or larger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I just noticed the minigame challenge. Now considering...
My project just started lagging during battle and I haven't been able to figure out why...
Oh, Google is now warning users against installing extensions on Edge Chromium
on my plate today- animation.
"Your service has been identified as part of an outage. This is expected to be restored by 7pm IN SEVEN DAYS!!!" Guess I won't be around as much over the next week :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vlzvl