Scared someone will steal my music when I release a free demo

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by SongQueenSaeryen, Feb 19, 2015.

1. SongQueenSaeryen

SongQueenSaeryen Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So I'm planning to release my first demo (more "sneak peek" since it's actually exploring a certain area) of a game I plan to sell. I turned the demo into a file with encrypted game data, but there's still a "Music" folder with my original soundtrack in there! I'm scared that if I upload my demo, someone will download it and steal my music (copyright it as their own).

Any advice? Am I just being paranoid?

2. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is one of the strangest realizations I've made about VXAce's encryption. Perhaps I'm just extremely unsavvy of how such a thing works, but I've always wondered why the audio files are left out in the open like that when the scripts and graphics get tucked away. I'm sorry that I cannot provide you a better answer but I'm curious of this myself.

Lars Ulrika and Saltwater Croc like this.
  3. Scythuz

Scythuz Explorer Bot *beep beep* Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The only encryption I know of is hiding the files using the hidden files function.  There's one other very unreliable method too but it doesn't seem to be worth the fuss.  It's unfortunately what we're going to have to deal with until someone figures out a way to encrypt music properly.

4. EternalShadow

EternalShadow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Tsukihime's worked with someone to make an encryption system (FEUX) - maybe look into that?

5. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
  6. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

You could just pay to have F.E.U.X protection as your game is commercial after all and why not properly protect it?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2015
  7. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Consider taking the appropriate measures to prevent this from happening.

8. SongQueenSaeryen

SongQueenSaeryen Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for your advice.

9. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

I'm curious how you expect them to copyright it as their own. In most countries copyright is something that is applied automatically for anything you create. Unless you sell your rights, you keep them well after your death.

10. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Suppose SongQueenSaeryen released the demo and then another person posts shortly after "Hi, that piece of music you have used in your game is mine."

How would you determine who is the rightful owner?

11. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

Put them on Soundcloud for example? One way or another if someone wants to rip their music, there are easy ways to do that anyway but at least with Soundcloud uploads you have a proof.

Also original author would have the required files that were used to make the specific music piece.

12. Nathan Frost

Nathan Frost ... only the world's greatest Secret Agent. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Time stamped files online could help justify it too. Meaning if you have an archive of your work uploaded somewhere as clord was explaining, it could defiantly help justify any case of someone claiming something of yours. I know audio is pretty easy to acquire no matter what though. But at least this way you could prove you created the track at the appropriate date and it would be on your account.

13. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

Disclaimer: I'm not a professional lawyer. Anything I tell you about the law related matters should be double checked.

14. Gui

Gui Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    In this case, the one who claims to be the rightful owner has to give proof of his claim, not the other way around: you don't have to prove you're innocent, your accusator has to prove you're guilty. And like stated before the legitimate owner usually possesses the source files from which the piece is made.

For example, for a 3D scene, if someone stelas one of my pic, I can provide the 3D file from which the pic has been rendered, when the thief cannot. Same thing with a bitmap file made from several layers in Photohsop: having this original file is proof that you're the creator.

I believe it is the same thing with music although I dunno how music tracks are made...

Otherwise, I do know that french law accepts the time date of files burned onto CDs and DVDs as proofs because it cannot be altered afterwards; it probably works the same in most countries.

Lars Ulrika likes this.
  15. Wingu

Wingu Warper Member

FYI, just as a note...Windows offers a "take ownership" option for files created and stored on your machine. I do this all of the time with any work that I output from my HDD.

Intellectual property right laws grant you the protection necessary to keep people from claiming ownership of anything you imagine or physically produce. It's a protection of ideas...so to speak. As long as you can prove that this is your original piece and have the method to back it up I really wouldn't be too concerned about people stealing your work. If they do, then eventually it will catch up with them. It always does. :)

16. Chris Hurn

Chris Hurn Warper Member

I wouldn't worry too much. There's very little point to having them encrypted IMO because ripping audio is so easy. Also keep in mind that the same could be said about anybody that releases a soundtrack of the game. If the game has good music, that you want people to listen to, then you'll probably be uploading it to bandcamp or soundcloud or something at some point too.

Futhermore, the problem you describe could be true for every single game out there, especially indie titles -  You protect yourself by creating a strong identity - ie, if you're a composer, you have a soundcloud, website, etc, established the fact that those are your tracks, uploaded at x date. Create a strong idenity for your work and you will be OK. It is usually very easy to prove who created what if the original composer has a good presence online with the tracks uploaded and dated.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2015
  17. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    While it is somewhat easy to rip or record a music, most people are just lazy.

Just making a simple protection would be enough in my opinion.

There are a lot of "collector editions" of games that include the OST, sometimes that's even the only bonus you get from this edition.

If it sells, that's because people didn't bother ripping.

Lazy people, but this time it's a good thing for the artist :) .

18. Revival

Revival Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I will say first off that metadata could more than likely solve this, if you use modern audio editing engine they usually hide in the file info the name of the PC User who created the file in a place that can't be touched, assuming the uploader could prove he was that user then he would be okay.  Of course proving this would require somebody who knows how to do it (and has access to said User and PC), which if OP is asking he likely does not know how, which would mean hiring somebody to prove it.  

that said though it is proveable with the right person behind the wheel.

Imo I wouldn't worry about this, the chances of music being stolen from an RPG maker game to me seem 0 to none.  I look at games like Mass Effect which have millions of players and yet under 1% players of the total fanbase have downloaded the tool to rip the music (myself included).  If it was easier I'm sure more people WOULD do it... but the question has to be asked, how many people WANT to do it regardless of ease?

I think if you ever see your music 'stolen' it will be one single guy out there and for nonprofit use, you will likely never know it happened nor be remotely effected.

Paranoid = more than likely. 

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2015
  19. Matchitza

Matchitza Finally Inspired! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    And if the people steal it, ask them one question.. Who made the game? And who created the music, you or them.. If you remind them, they'll realize their mistake about stealing your game's content. And no, you're not paranoid.. This things happens to every game whose developers released a demo for everyone. Stupid people out there who tries to steal in-game music or ripping of game contents are bad, real bad.. I'm reminding you, do not share your game's demo outside of this forum.. Because thieves are waiting out there, waiting for someone to upload demos.. And bang! They proceed to rip of in-game contents.. 

One final note:
    Don't trust Anoynymous people who ask for demos..

20. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    But then how would he publicize his demo? Even if he posts only here and just post news elsewhere, people will surely find that demo uploaded here... 

And how about the finished game? The topic might be for a demo right now, but then again, this problem will extend up to the release of the finished game...

EternalShadow likes this.