SCAREStaff November 2014 Mini Pack

Caz

Green Eyes Blonde Dragon
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
After a tiresome day of game dev, you saved your game project and made sure the tilesets were safe for the night.. But you forgot one thing..

That's RIGHT! It's..

(cue ominous laughter)

WoooOOooooOOOooo~ and our lovely contributors have
banded together for a little surprise treat
for you today!

I will also being whipping up a list of members today who
didn't receive their badges from feedback and contributions,
so hold tight guys!

Per usual:
Information about Commercial usage can be found here.
If you want to be a Guest Contributor, go here!

We are always open to guest contributions and would love to
see your work if you want to contribute, so please don't be
shy! You can shoot me or Archeia a PM with any questions
regarding becoming a Guest!

Avery has made some really noteworthy icons for
classes and some Halloween related items, like a
butternut squash! It looks delicious, you have my word!

We've also got this absolutely precious
skeleton rat characterset.. n'aww..

Candacis is still kicking some serious butt.
Check out these incredible Ace style tiles! They're
a must for all your gothic dungeons.

Caz has your Halloween party outfits
covered, with a bunch of DS+ style
charactersets in costume!

We got this crazy wicked battler
from Marimo of Jill-O-Lantern! (get it?)
This one is certainly a treat!

Caz has also provided this one with another
DS+ style characterset.

Matseb has brought us some really awesome
charactersets of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse!
Plus he's included battlers, and a couple other
Halloweenie goodies too!

PandaMaru has given us some battlers of
spooky skeletons, plus a battler for
Avery's skeleton rat!

Thalzon has also contributed some creepy
battlers! Though that ghost dog is just
pure cuteness..

DesperateMeasurez has made some
really awesome, scary tracks for dungeons
and the like! Check them out!

Scythuz is holding strong with a
spooktacular organ tune, and he's also
contributed BGS files for adding an extra level
of creepage to your environments..

Iron Croc has sent in a guest submission
of a cover of an eerie Hebrew song!

DOWNLOAD RESTAFF NOVEMBER 2014

Last edited:

Jaide

"This guy are sick."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
What a treat! :D I'm already in love with that ghost dog. He reminds me of Zero from Nightmare Before Christmas.

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Great work everyone!  DesperateMeasurz's Asian Graveyard tune reminds me of an interesting bit of Asian folklore:

According to (I think) Japanese tradition, when someone dies, their soul splits into 3 parts.  One remains at the grave, one remains with the family and one goes on to the afterlife.

Great justification for any Asian horror type RPG encounters in said graveyard.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This is a very difficult release to give feedback on, because one runs out of superlatives before getting to the end.  So sorry if it reads a little repetitively, but there are only so many synonyms of 'excellent' that one can find.

Avery Halloween icons - the detailed excellence that one has come to expect from you.  Having those figures as icon size is going to be very useful.  And the skeleton rat - yessssss!!!!

Candacis I never knew I needed a talking mirror until I saw this.  Now I wonder how I ever managed without one.  A bone fence, just what every self-respecting abandoned town needs.  Those tiles - just as a dog is not only for Christmas, so these tiles are not only for Halloween.  I can see several uses for them.

Caz A great selection of sprites.  I especially liked the Jill O'Lantern.

Marimo love the battler, and thank you for coordinating this with Caz's sprite.

Matseb2611  I fell in love with these the minute I saw them.  They are the sort of sprites that lead one to start thinking about how to adjust one's game so that they can be incorporated.  And so good to have the animated battlers.

PandaMaru The battlers are more than welcome, and so good to have one for Avery's skeleton rat.  Although I don't use XP, I love that tree, and just might be able to find a home for it.

desparatemeasurez

Asian graveyard - how I wish I had a place to put this.  I thought the way the Asian location was presented was excellent, and the eeriness of the graveyard was very effectively evoked.

Hallow's Eve Ritual - I'm not doing a 'spooky' game, but I know exactly where this is going to go.

The Phantom's Castle - is going to go into the area immediately after the area where H.E.R. is going.  Two excellent tracks together will give that whole section a very distinct feel.

Ironcroc I don't know the original, so have no idea what you've done to transform it, but you have ended up with a lovely piece which could have a wide range of uses.

Scythuz

One can never have too many BGS, and when they are the caliber of these you can be sure that they are going to appear in many people's games.  They certainly do the job of creeping the player out.  Very effective.

Zerkses - lovely use of organ to evoke a wide range of images, making it a very flexible piece.

So long story short - well done everyone.

EDIT

I realized that I had omitted to say anything about the amazing battlers by Thalzon.  Sorry about that, it was on the back of my notes, and I forgot to turn over the page.  Needless to say, I was impressed, as I always am by his work.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkstarMatryx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I have only looked at Matseb2611, Thalzon, and PandaMaru's battlers and love the all.   I can't wait to get out of work and look at the rest of this pack. I am sure it will all be as outstanding as your work has been in other packages.  Thanks to all of you for putting this scarestaff pack together.  

Amysaurus

Digital Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Music:

DesperateMeasurez:

• Asian Graveyard: Ooooh - very spooky! I love the melody of this, as well as the footstep-esque sounds I can hear in the background. It definitely brings to mind a stroll through a graveyard at night.
  • Hallow's Eve Ritual: I think this has to be my favorite piece out of your submissions. There are so many spooky elements to this, and yet it all flows together in a wonderfully creepy way.
  • The Phantom's Castle: This is a great theme to bring about a sense of impending doom. The overall melody is lovely, and the bells add a wonderful sense of urgency to it all.
  • The Phantom's Castle Midi: This brings about that sense of doom in a very similar way to the other version, yet almost serves as a build-up to the sense of doom the other provides.
  • Overall: Great work - I'm really impressed with how these came out.
Iron Croc:

• Rozhinkes mit Mandlen: Overall this piece is a nice cover, but I think I would've liked it a bit more if the organ had been toned down. It almost gives the piece a confused feeling, as if it can't tell whether it wants to be sinister or peaceful.
Scythuz:

• Zerkses: ORGA-Nah, we've already discussed this, and this is actually a really solid piece. It has a great sense of balance to it, and it all melds together very well. I almost get the impression of walking through a haunted castle or church, which is quite lovely.
  • Don't Look Behind You: 0_____0 Okay, trust me, I won't. You did a great job of creating a really spooky vibe with this. It gives a really subtle feeling of paranoia.
  • Whispers of a Dead Age: Yikes - the more I listen to this one, the creepier it gets! It evokes a really great (awful?) sense of dread, as if someone's watching you.
  • Overall: Lovely! The organ piece is great, and the BGSs came out fabulously.
Graphics:

Avery:

• Icons: Adorable! I love the little characters (especially the witch on the broomstick), and everything else is wonderful as well! I don't know what it is, but something about that gourd keeps drawing my eyes to it. :)
  • Skeleton Rat: Spooky! You did a great job spriting the bones, and it turned out lovely!
  • Overall: Very very nice!
Candacis:

• Talking Mirror: I don't have a game, but if I did, this would be in there. I've always had a thing for talking mirrors, and I think this would be a great addition to a spooky game!
  • Bone Fence: Awesome - I would put this around a graveyard in a heartbeat! I think the edges of the bones might be a bit too defined in a few spots, but it'd be hard to understand what they were if they weren't.
  • A4 Tiles: Okay, I think you must have crawled around in my head and picked out my favorite patterns for these, because they're just perfect. You did a great job of making them look very clean
  • Halloween Tiles: I think this is my favorite part of your submission right here. I absolutely love the coffins and mirrors, and everything else is just as great-looking.Those creepy books are just the icing on top.
  • Overall: Fantastic! Keep up the amazing work.
Caz:

• SO CUTE! All of the characters look super adorable, and just perfect for Halloween. I think my favorite would have to be the Vampy w/ Cape sheet.

Marimo:

• That looks absolutely gorgeous! The choice in color was superb, and I love the lantern.

Matseb:

• Horsemen: Creepy! I really like how you represented each one really well, and how they almost glow a bit. Very nice!
  • Jack-o-lantern: This is very nice, though the shading could be touched up in a few spots. The behavior sprites were a great touch as well.
  • Battlers: You did a great job with these! They all look very well done, and the variety of poses is nice.
  • Blood Animation: Goodness! I especially like the first animation, but both of them are very well done.
  • Overall: Great job! It seems like you really went all-out for this month!
PandaMaru:

• Battlers: I love how spooky all of these are, and especially that there's a bone rat to go with Avery's awesome sprite! All of these are really well done.
  • Tree: I'm a firm believer that you can never have too many varieties of tree, and this still holds true. I really like the subtlety in the colors, and the curly branches are just adorable!
  • Overall: Awesome awesome awesome~
Thalzon:

• I'm pretty sure I've never NOT been impressed by your work, and my love of Halloween just makes these even better. My absolute favorites would have to be the ghosts and pumpkin (especially #12 for that major Nightmare Before Christmas vibe I get from it), but all of these are equally great.
  • Overall: Fantastic :D
:wub:  Great job everyone, and I hope y'all have a fantastic Halloween! :wub:​

Dreadshadow

Lv 38 Tech Magician
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Epic! Thank you all of you people!!!

I will come back to review it properly.

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok here we go.

GRAPHICS
Avery:

Very nice icons, the werewolf and the witch are my favourites so far...I like also the amount of details you put on the skeleton rat. The materials are definitely a must have for Halloween games, I'm curious to see what you will do for Christmas now. Good job Avery, your work is always so nice.

Candacis:
That talking mirror is so amazing, it reminds me about Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, it was my favourite Disney movie when I was a kid. Awesome work on the bookshelves and the creepy books (I can't stop thinking about the Necronomicon when I see them), definitely very creative stuff and in RTP style too! The tiles are perfect for crypts and\or mausoleums I think, and that bone fence is a very good addition to the set. Great job.

Count Cazula:
You're becoming better and better with sprites! Jill O' Lantern and the Vampire are my favourites, also thanks for adding the variation for him (cape\not cape)...seriously they look lovely creepy. I like also how you made the ninja and the hairstyle of the vampire (it really fits). It's hard to be so detailed when a sprite is so small, but you really did an amazing job with them.

Marim O' Lantern:

Dat creepy evil grin...she looks seriously impressive, very good idea and nice colour scheme too. She definitely needs to be added in a game somewhere, alongside with Caz's sprite. I hope you will make more stuff for the next Restaffs, your work is awesome Marimenstein.

Matseb2611:

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse ffs! I can't believe someone made them, I remember Thalzon made some battlers but I never saw the sprites, they look amazing. Guess who's my favourite? YES, Death! A very accurate colour choice for the horse btw (it's a perfect green and fits so damn well). Jack O'Lantern is made from scratch? That looks really nice, you should totally start doing commissions man. The animated battlers are impressive too and the poses are very dynamic, I tried them in game and they look so good. I love also that you followed my hint in the previous Restaff and made an RTP character (Ralph), thank you very much for that Matseb. And finally I can see some new animations...and gory ones! Lot of awesome stuff, great work.

Pandamaru:

wow! These battlers are both creepy and awesome looking, I like Death and the amount of detail you put on the bones for the skeletons. The rat skeleton is perfect when used with Avery's sprite, also very neat idea and execution on the tree. Your work is impressive as always.

Thalzon:

I say this every month but I'm never tired to repeat it, thanks to you we have the most huge and varied collection of battlers...thanks a lot for your hard work. I have a folder with all your stuff on my desktop and I keep adding new battlers everytime, I'm also impressed by how you keep being original with their design, even if you made a lot of them you always come up with awesome ideas. The ghosts are my favourites (especially Ghost_11). Amazing work.

MUSIC

DesperateMeasurez:

Asian Graveyard: Very original idea, the track keeps the perfect balance between being both scary and oriental.

I can also feel a bit of sadness and melancholy in it, it's definitely perfect for an asian cemetery at night.

Hallow's Eve Ritual: Damn...you made me shiver here. That's seriously creepy as hell and sad at the same time, it can totally fit as a villain theme or as the title suggests for some sort of demonic ritual. And I'm with Amy, this track is my favourite too. Impressive job.

The Phantom's Castle

Yes! An Evil Dungeon theme, perfect for creepy dungeons of any sort (Castles\Towers\Mausoleums\Catacombs), sounds really awesome from 0:57 with the echoes and all.

The Phantom's Castle Midi

It's the previous track but Midi styled...even if they sound different, I honestly like them both equally. Great job on both of them.

Iron Croc:

Rozhinkes mit Mandlen

It's a good track but I have to agree with Amy, I struggle too with understanding if it's supposed to be scary or calm...sounds like a mixture of both the things.

Scythuz:

Scythuz_Zerkses

A Great piece. I like the spooky organ a lot, I can feel the villaneous intent and\or the exploration of both an evil castle or a church in it (like DM track it's pretty flexible and can fit for a lot of evil dungeons). Awesome work.

Scythuz_Don't look behind you

Perfect BGS for horror games. Very scary and sinister atmosphere, I'm listening to this (at night) and I really feel like there's something creepy behind me, this is so bang on...ahahahahah. Great job.

Scythuz_Whispers of a dead age

Another awesome creepy BGS, you scared my brother with this one...it feels like a lot of ghosts are staring at you. This is really a must have for an horror game.

To everyone: Great job as always, thanks a lot for the awesome stuff and for your hard efforts. Happy Halloween!

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Awesome work on the bookshelves and the creepy books (I can't stop thinking about the Necronomicon when I see them)
That's not the Necronomicon.... The Necronomicon didn't get finished in time :D   It will be revealed on 2nd or 3rd November when a german ReStaff is ready.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! :)

Susan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
No idea...
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First resource pack review, so here goes!

Took me seven hours to get the pack but it was worth it!
This is definitely NOT a mini-pack!

Avery :
- Lovely one-of-a-kind icons! NOW I appreciate icons! I've got to make me a Halloween game.
- Nice animated skeleton rat. Now I know where all those poor things went to....

Candacis :
- Beautifully made tiles and animated chars! The mirrors and face fit well! Finally something I can use for a dark lord's castle!
- Those bookselves, and those books! One can never have enough books!

Caz :
- Great DS sprites! I love DS sprites! Excellent for modern day settings!
- JillOLantern looks like she can be a great character in a fantasy setting!

Marimo :
- Beautiful battler to pair with Caz's sprite! Very well done!

Matseb2611 :
- OMG, The Four Horsemen! The four horsemen vs one jack-o-lantern! Who will emerge victorious as the greatest villian of Halloween?
- Excellently done animated battlers to go with the sprites! How do you find the time?
- Thanks for the bonus Ralph animated battler to help fend off those horsemen!
- Those two animations look great!

PandaMaru :
- Well done battlers! Just right for halloween and horror games!
- I'm so partial for that skeleton rat!

Thalzon :
- Awesome battlers as usual! What more can I say that others haven't many times over?
- That ghost dog! I can't hit it! No way! It's too cute!

DesperateMeasurez:
- 'Asian Graveyard' really captures the essence of the an ancient chinese/japanese burial site.
- 'Hallow's Eve Ritual' is like the lull before the storm. I can feel something's about to happen...
- Both versions of 'The Phantom's Castle' are beautiful! I can see how you decided to include both.

Iron croc :
- First time hearing this kind of music. Lovely music, a I feel like I'm in a cathedral in Paris.

Last but not least
Scythuz :
- 'Zerkses reminds me of dracula's castle or the neclord's from suikoden 2. Great organ music!
- 'Don't look behind you' really made my hair stand especially since I was listening to this at 3am all alone & with the lights off.
- 'Whispers of a dead age' make me feel all alone in a ghost town located in the middle of a spooky forest.
- Great soundscapes! Different from those in the store.

Excellent work from the the contributors! Thank you all kindly!

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Many thanks to everyone for feedback. It's very helpful (and certainly uplifting)!

Jack O'Lantern is made from scratch? That looks really nice, you should totally start doing commissions man.
Hehe, actually he was made from the ogre's head and jellyfish's body. Though I did do a lot of editing on those, so maybe that's why it looks as though he was made from scratch.

Thanks for the encouragement. I have been considering of starting commissions sometime soon, most likely for animated battlers and behaviour poses.

Excellently done animated battlers to go with the sprites! How do you find the time?
I guess I have a bit of a routine procedure when I make them. It's aligning them correctly that can be time consuming, though with 32x32 pixel RTP characters that's not as bad as larger sprites, so overall it takes me roughly 2-3 hours per each spritesheet. I did learn a lot about these animated battlers when working with Monster Legacy ones in my current game project.

I love also that you followed my hint in the previous Restaff and made an RTP character (Ralph)
Thanks for the bonus Ralph animated battler to help fend off those horsemen!
It's funny, but I made a short humourous gameplay footage video with these battlers where Ralph is trying to take down the Demon King (but with catastrophic results). Maybe I'll upload it somewhere for all to see. :D

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Awesome stuff as always folks :D

Graphics:

Avery: Those icons are great as usual. Very handy for a Halloween game. I also love the skelerat, definitely have use for him. :D

Candacis: Awesome stuff! I rreally like the monster books and the coffin with flowers. Also, that mirror face is scary D: (So good job :p )

Caz: DS sprites! :wub: Loving them all, specially Jill, supergirl and the piratess (If I could fall in love with pixels, it would be her <3)

Marimo: Oh my god! That's amazing, just way too amazing. Here's to hoping, we'll get to see more of your work for Restaff ;)

Matseb: So much sprites. Love them. Good job on the animated battlers as well; they look so time consuming, so your work is more than appreciated :D

Pandamaru: Awesome battlers. ^^ And is that an XP resource in Restaff? And such an amazing one at that? You made my day, Maru, you really did :D

Thalzon: Superawesome battlers as always. Really love the Nightmare before Christmas vibe from the pumpkin and the ghost dog :3

Music:

DesperateMeasurez: Those are all terrifying. Good job! The Asian themed one is much appreciated as I don't think there's a lot of those. :)

Iron Croc: I don't know why, but the song reminds me of Corpse Bride. Anyway, it's great. :D

Scythuz: Zerkses sounds perfect for a vampire castle. Those BGS are way too terrifying. D: (That's a compliment :3)

PixelHeart

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
WOAH!!....THANK YOUS TOO ALL OF SCARE STAFF!!!! everyone of these are friggin awesome!!!!!

Bonkers

Bioware, do you need a nap?
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Restaff Feedback:

Avery: Really Lovely Icons.  I especially love the cute little bat.  I'm looking forward to your advent calender.

The skeleton rat is something I'd never thought I'd see given the size you've made it work much better than

I could have hoped.

Candacis: The Wall tiles are certainly welcome editions.  I am particular the deep blood red one with the texture

as it has a very regal feel behind it.

The variety of books is the real eye catcher here, the golden frames, locks/bindings, and ruined monstrous books

add a lot of personality.  Well done.

Caz: I am going to pretend the cape less vampire is actually Goblin King/David Bowie.  The Vampire, Robin, Jill o Lantern, and Minuteman/Seafaring girl are 

all incredibly adorable.  You are setting the standard with Archeia much higher for the DS set.  Thank you

for utilizing it so well.  I'm literally blown away by how good the Jill lantern horns look.  Finally some

non human features.

Marimo: The Jill o Lantern is a wonderful concept and well executed with your design.  I feel it has potential

as a stand alone demoness/villain outside of the Halloween theme as well.  The little pumpkin bloomers

and separated sleeves were a nice touch as is the ghostly lantern.  I love that her horns aren't uniform in color 

and continue the unique style of her clothing.  The touch of eye liner in red really gives her a sadistic look.

Masteb: You are making me want to utilize a side view battle system more and more with all these wonderful creations.

Your work over the past year has really had me and others take a frenzied interest in your Game Dev.  Your work with graphics

is becoming much more than simple edits and I feel your style and personal touches in the work you've been submitting

and displaying.  I'll have to ask for pointers!

PandaMaru:  The battlers are wonderful!  I'm a bit confused on the XP tree, is that a tile or a battler itself?

I love the curled branches.  Death works so well as a battler, but having the skeleton rat and the sprite now 

makes me want to use them as enemies with the perfect pair.  

Thalazon:  You make such a plethora of stylized painted battlers it's hard to decide which is my favorite.  A lot of the inspiration I 

can see from Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas and your own inspiring talent.  Your fluid style really brings out the baddies.

Thank you for so many of them.  The sitting figure pose used twice is the most dynamic of the bunch.  I tend to like enemies

that give their personalities without seeming static, something you excel at.

Warning.  I am tone deaf.

Desperate Measures:

Asian Graveyard has a powerful opening, and while it does have some regional elements the vibrancy of the background sounds and wind make it pretty spooky for general use.

I don't think the instruments deters too much from what the piece aims to do, and that is to instill ambiance and atmosphere of walking around in haunted grounds.

Hallow's Eve Ritual has a nice smooth cold start with a pick up on the growing piano influence.  I feel like the refrain and build up are a bit part of this one.

It's not particular to any one setting, and I feel it could work in a variety of dank environments.  The moan is a very nice touch, and I think it even loops which makes

it twice as powerful for atmosphere.

The Phantom Castle, and Midi Version:  Oh Dear, this is magic.  Totally and complete terror and chills caught in musical form.  This is the sort of piece you'd find in a dramtic

scene or pre battle to any good rpg.  The rock beats and organ melt together.  I love it.  A total sense of menace and terror.

The bells of the regular version are very powerful and give it that much more power behind it.

Iron Croc:

Rozhinkes mit Mandlen:  Now this started out as such a nice tranquil scene music, and then changed into a completely different song altogether.  If possible I'd ask that the regular pre organ

cello and the organ itself be separated into two different versions.  Having the organ pop up unexpectedly shatters everything each time.  

Mellow and stable turns to Gothic and disciplined too quickly with no transition.  The song itself is good, but the instruments clash with each other.

Scythuz:

Zerkes:  Building organ with a deep lasting monotone beat giving a sense of disciplined prayer for starters.  Something solid for a church or holy setting.  The pace

and atmosphere are spot on.

BGS:  Something that we're beginning to see much more of since the last few product releases.  I love them.  First of all the mixture of sound and subtle elements form a 

basis for a haunted setting.  We have quite a bit to work with here, and nothing seems to droll on for too long or catch our attention which can let us focus on game play 

elements.  Very nice touch.  It's hard to not put something in that will break up the other sounds, and it works for what we need it to do; which is enhance the existing music or setting.

Susan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
No idea...
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@PandaMaru :

It'd be a great battler, though. Fit in with the chibi battlers from the DS+ pack IMO.

Scythuz

Explorer Bot *beep beep*
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks to all the contributors, Caz for putting it together and all the people who have left feedback :)

You are all awesome.

C-C-C-Cashmere (old)

Resident Weirdo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Nice, guys! I'm not at my comp so I can't really wade through the graphics submission and other miscellanea, but I am going to review each song on a moment by moment basis. Here we go, from start to finish.

DesperateMeasurez – Asian Graveyard

Brooding strings are accompanied by these Asian plucks. There’s some drum sticks clicking against each other. It’s all very very scary like Beauty and the Beast. Well played, my friend.

DesperateMeasurez – The Phantom’s Castle

This sounds like the beginning to some Lex Luger beat. I can hear the 808 snares trilling in now. Some fat bass could be inserted in there. I might even make a remix. It shouldn’t be too hard, all the basics are already in there. Good work.

Scythuz – Zerkses

Organ scares me to death. Reverbed to the heavens. Sounds like two of them, or is that two hands? Anyway, simple and sweet.

Scythuz – Whispers of a Dead Age

Brooding. Hard-hitting. Knocks me off my seat. Floored. Divine retribution. Death. Killing. But really though, ominous stuff. Proudness emanates from my bones. Good job, Scythuz.

Iron Croc – Rozhinkes mit Mandlen

Nice title. Those brooding strings, this is very well constructed and composed, like I am balancing on a tight rope above some crazy alligators who want to bite my flesh off. Some demented circus. As far as I can remember, Iron Croc is on hiatus. Hope he comes back soon. Good job, man.

And that's all I have for now. Good stuff, people. You really deserve all the treats in the world.

Caz

Green Eyes Blonde Dragon
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you all for the great feedback, and I hope everyone is enjoying their brand spankin' new badges! I'll try to keep on top of everyone who fed back this month too, so you'll all get your badges after the next release~ <3

As for all the lovely peeps who continually put in so much effort every single month, I'll plorp out some thoughts too:

Music:

@DesperateMonsterz: 

Asian Graveyard is so creepy and amazing, it actually reminds me of something out of old PS2 jRPGs. The feelings captured here are just incredible, with so few instruments.. I really love the quality on the samples too.

Hallow's Eve Ritual is another fantastic one, that piano notation is to die for. It all blends together so splendidly, I'm really feeling this haunted vibe from it like in a spooky old house or a castle maybe. It'd go so perfectly in a Halloween game!

The Phantom's Castle has that same Tubular Bells style backing to it, maybe that's why I love it so much hahah.. Though this one is much more upbeat and creepy, it has a couple more layers of emotion to it than the others. It's a bit more frantic than just regular creepies!

@Iron Creep:

The song you chose, Rozhinkes mit Mandlen, is a really well composed song. Putting all this together must've taken some work, and I just love the notation. I do think it could use a little more dynamics to it though, perhaps some sections that are quieter than others just to give a little contrast where the song picks up and falls down again. Some of the samples are bit deep too like the organ, but I suppose that's a matter of just finding better ones.

@Spookthuz:

The echo on that organ in Zerkses really adds to the depth of the environment it makes me imagine, like a massive echoing church.. It does really well to set a visual scene up in my brain, you did spectacularly on this one!

Don't Look Behind You sounds pretty pro when it comes to BGS. The atmosphere on it is so subtle yet it has this breath suppressing quality when I hear it. It's hard to explain exactly, but it would do its job magnificently in a horror game.

Whispers of a Dead Age is a little more upfront with its horror, like I imagine the other BGS would build up to something like this. You start out slow with something hardly noticeable in the background, and then maybe a spook in-game and this track comes in behind it.. I like it, and I love the setup so much.
Graphics:

@Avilery:

These icons are so cute, I don't even have to tell you how much I love that butternut! The class icons inspire me to make so many Halloween games though. I especially love the way you captured the witch and the werewolf!

The skeleton rat is so sweet.. but it looks so deadly. I really love the way you depicted the bones in this one!

@Candycis:

The walls are so beautiful, I really like what you did with the themes here. My favourite part has to be the autotiles for the roofs. The details on the parapet-thingies (I dunno what to call them but they're COOL) are so astounding! 

The objects like the coffin and the mirror are really awesome, especially with that talking mirror characterset - but the object I personally love most is that book with the mouth, hahaha! I really love tiles that can tell a story without anything needing to be added to them, and your tiles always have this incredible backstory to them.. I love your work, I hope I keep seeing more from you!

@Scarimo:

Hngghh that Jill O' Lantern.. where do I even begin. That outfit is so good with all her swishy parts and the cape, and those flamey feet are so shiny and nice.. I love her face the most though, her expression is amazing. She looks so sinister and sadistic hahaha like you are definitely the one who's going to get the trick instead of a treat.. Damn it every time I look back on her to do feedback, I find another thing I like and I CAN'T KEEP LISTING THEM OR I'LL BE HERE ALL DAY. She is fantastic though, I wanna use her as an evil MC or something..

@Batseb:

Good god man where do you find the time to do all these.. I love how unique each of the four horsemen are, there's some real creativity put in here. Famine's tongue attack made me laugh out loud.. Ralph is looking so gallant and heroic, though part of this makes me want to see him fight alongside the horsemen in some weird mashup battle. 

I am also pleased to see some animations! We definitely need more of these. Keep up the good work!

@PandaMacabru:

Wow these skeletons are so detailed and nice.. and I just love that you made the battler to go with Avery's sprite! I like to imagine some hilarious scenario in a game where that rat is Death's pet.. or that one of the battlers is a cloakless version of himself.

The tree is also super beautiful, I really love the bark effect you've made.

@Jack-o-Thalzon:

You always come up with such fantastic and diverse battlers. I want to see into your mind sometimes and find out where you get the ideas for these, because they're so incredible and there's always something so different every month. I can tell you're really getting better too, like your improvement is definitely showing through. I've spent so long examining that horse skeleton, and spent even longer looking over the ghosty one. Some really nice ideas here as always! 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

convention concluded, i'm glad the books well received and sold out
not every content is decent, but i'll be better for the next work.

now back to game developing
I hope to be able to post my vxace resource edits this Wednesday.
Not sure if I'll get to the library though.
Me: Man, I'm definitely burned out this time. Time for a break. Me three hours later: I'm ready to work again, let's go! Me another hour later: Okay, I can't do this anymore. Repeat for infinity.
Just got MV and am working on porting over my new game from VX Ace to it! I haven't done much with my new game so it should be pretty quick.
I was doing forge runs on D2 with my wife last night, and singing like a leprechaun to annoy her XD. I was calling it 'The Farge'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldencarroteater