Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Enter at your own risk. >: D

@ Avery  I adore tiny ghosts. You made a tiny ghost. I am very happy. I can actually think of many ways I could use these so that’s excellent!

@ Candacis The talking mirror is legitimately freaking me out.  I also really love the bone fence. That’s so creative and I’ll definitely use it!

@ Caz It’s so adorable. Everyone running around in their costumes!  A lot these are time period outfits too so they can easily see use outside of Halloween!

@ Marimo This battler is beautiful! The colors are well done, the detail is wonderful and creative, and she just looks so darn cute and dangerous.

@ Masteb I’m always really impressed with how much you seem to get done each month. I especially love the Jack O’ Lantern.

@ Panda Maru I am becoming the biggest fan of your trees and I really love that you've made a matching battler to for the rat skeleton.

@ Thalzon I really love how whimsical your battlers are, or these ones at least. They capture the wonderment and sensation of Halloween. Most people go right for the scary but I like that a lot of these are playful and strange.

@ Desperate Measuserz  “Asian Graveyard” is a unique location. The instrument that plays around 1:13 is a pleasant surprise and keeps the piece moving. I get the desolate feeling while there still remain the touches of mischievous as well. “Hollow Eve’s Ritual” definitely has that spooky vibe. The voice patch is downright terrifying. The moving tubular bells at :40 are a bit distracting (to me), personally. But I am known to have hearing issues with instruments that have a very metallic timbre. “The Phantom’s Castle” That moving line that starts at :08=yes.  You know that—stuff—is going down in this castle. Drums ended up being a huge surprise in this song. I almost wish they’d have hammed up more and really went for it, even.

@ Iron Croc   The melody is wonderful and the overall flow of the song is well done, indeed. I think it captures that wonderment I was talking about earlier, quite fantastically. I love it but I feel like the organ patch you’re using and general lack of dynamic control covers up the nice woodwinds though, probably due to many frequencies overlapping.  Taking some of those melodic patches up an octave and working the panning around would keep every part lucid so we can hear those woodwinds while being able to keep the church and chapel vibe from the organ blended in.

@ Scythuz   “Zerkses” We’ve talked many times how I feel about the organ. It’s not personally an instrument I like working with but that aside the chords and melody in this song are spot on. For an organ piece I always feel like they are so apt to merge both melancholy and cheerful melodies. There is both hope and dread in this song.  “Don’t look behind you” I’ve listen to this a couple times and I still feel absolutely uncomfortable when those voices chant. I also love the intermittent swells and hits throughout. “Whispers of a dead age” is probably my favorite of the two as far as ambient noise goes. It’s completely unsettled and not looking to resolve anytime soon, which is what good scary music does.  It also has that complete sense of desolation. The ‘blip’ noises are actually my favorite little detail!

Last edited by a moderator:

Alkorri

Proofreading Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Had to wrestle a deadline, but now am free to give feedback!

Graphics

@Avery - You know I absolutely adore your icons, and I especially love the butternut squash and the bat :) Ha, I'm glad I asked you to do that skeleton mouse sprite; my spouse loves it!

@Candacis - A bone fence! What an excellent idea! And I am sooo in love with those books, especially the monster face ones. Make more? Pleeeease? I love that bookshelf too. Together with those gorgeous walls, this is definitely going into my gothic fantasy game. My favourite wall is the spiderweb pattern, by the way; for some reason, I feel the wood should be a different shade. But it's an easy thing to change!

@Caz - Justice Girl and Pirate Girl are too adorable for words. I also appreciate the fact you made a Vampy without the cape; he looks like a Van Helsing here! This sprite could play a vampire hunter. Thanks for the Jill -O-Lantern. I can't help but feel as if there are pixels on the top of her hair that are a bit light and need more definition...? Anyway, thanks! 

Speaking of Justice Girl, can we see more superhero-themed DS sprites from you? :D

@Marimo - Whoa! You're here! I'm not that familiar with Halloween or Jack-O-Lantern (isn't he a pumpkinhead?) but that Jill looks nice and up to no good ;)

@Matseb - The Four Horsemen is a brilliant idea! Those horses almost look too cute for words, but they are certainly fearsome. The only one who tends to stand out, I feel, is Pestilence because he looks 'normal' looking. Perhaps if he had greenish skin or was a zombie for instance...? Also, do you think the top of the hooded horseman could use more definition?

Those animated battler sheets are much appreciated! I'm sure people would love the ones for Ralph and Demon King. 

@Pandamaru - Eeeee! You made a battler out of that skeleton mouse! ;D Thanks for Death and that Skeleton.

@Thalzon - I'd been looking through your entire collection for more undead-types for a game, and this certainly fulfilled some of that need! I think Bones10 is my favourite because it's so versatile. I also love your armoured battlers, thank you.

Caption: Passing through a twilight realm, on the way to wreck havoc in human lands...

Music

@DesperateMeasurez - Oooh, Hallow's Eve Ritual is creepy, in a good way. Immediately unsettling, and I like the constant level of suspense throughout the piece. A bit sad that it ends suddenly for me ;D

I love the bells(?) kicking in at 0:07 of The Phantom's Castle. It can get a bit repetitive, but really nice. I love the midi version especially for some reason, perhaps because it hits a lot more notes for me. 

I like what you're doing with Asian Graveyard. Sounds more to me like something you'd hear in Japan because I keep hearing what I think are Japanese instruments. I think I would try and slow it down a bit, but thank you for this piece!

@Iron Croc - Lord, I love this piece. It half makes it poignant because this has to be one of the last things Iron Croc contributed before he had to take a break from the forums. But anyway! I could listen to this on repeat. Suited for a title screen, and exploring a haunted castle.

@Scythuz - Oooh, I love cathedral music. Zerkes is a track I could almost imagine the Phantom of the Opera playing before he bounds off to kidnap Christina.

Don't Look Behind You - I love the mood of this BGS. Tense, creepy, and there are notes of this that could also be played in a deserted spaceship infested by an alien ;)

Whispers of a Dead Age - This is the kind of piece that should be played in a wasteland, bringing a sense of growing horror. If I were to play a game with this, I might not be able to sleep.

Awesome job, everyone! This is one Scarestaff that delivers the shivers ;)

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ Alkorri: Love that picture. It's so delightfully gothic.

In regard to how Pestilence horseman looks, yeah, I agree, he is the most normal looking of them all. Depictions of horsemen can be very interesting, depending on the artist. He is usually associated with conquest and many even interpret him as a false prophet, whose main purpose is to deceive the world and spread lies. So I figured he had to be pretty and somewhat elegant compared to the others to show that sense of deceptive charisma that will cloud the mind of mere mortals. :D

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't have time to do anything atm (RL is keeping me busy with a lot of things) but I found some spare time to make this silly thing:

Thanks to:
Avery, Candacis, Caz, marimo, Matseb2611, PandaMaru and Thalzon for the materials.

Alkorri

Proofreading Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hah, I was waiting for you to do your brand of screenshots! The wait was worth it  :D

Edit: Why is Jack-O-Lantern on her back? ;>

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hah, I was waiting for you to do your brand of screenshots! The wait was worth it  :D

Edit: Why is Jack-O-Lantern on her back? ;>
Thanks a lot Chris.

I renamed him Jack O'Nitemare (Nightmare) and he's on her back because he's supposed to be her pet, ahahahahah.

Jack O'Nitemare is actually one of my characters, he's a mix between Jack O'Lantern and Jack Skellington from Nightmare Before Christmas. He will appear in my game as an Easter Egg.

Thanks again. :D

DesperateMeasurez

Darren Curtis
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@whitesphere: Thank you! And I had not heard of that before. You've given me something to look up later when I get some time.

@ksjp17: Thank you. Even though it's not a "spooky" game, I'm glad the pieces will still be able to help! I hope they serve you well!

@Amysaurus: Thank you! Very much appreciated! Hallow's Eve Ritual was probably my favorite to work on. Anytime I get to mess with haunting, shamanic voices, it's always fun!

@Dalph: Thanks! Ooh... I made the Dark Lord shiver? I wasn't sure if that was possible. I must have been on a very right track here!

@Susan: Thank you! Yes, it was interesting including both versions as each had to be mixed very differently. I wanted to include midi versions for the others too, but I just ran out of time!

@slimmmeiske2: Thank you! Yeah, I've seen a few people asking for Asian or exotic music, so I've been trying to include at least one piece like that each month. Now I suppose it's on to an Asian sounding Christmas Carol, eh?

@palladinthug: Thank you for the feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed!

@CashmereCat: Thank you! Sure, that'd be awesome. Be sure to let me know so I can hear it if you do!

@Caz: Thanks so much! The PS2 jRPG thing is a huge compliment for me! 

@Ms.Littlefish: Thank you for the feedback! The bells could be my fault. I really love any kind of tubular bell and orchestral chime. So sometimes when I go for them... I really go for them! Haha. That being said, they probably could be turned down a bit. That's actually a really good suggestion for the drums in The Phantom's Castle. Really laying them on thick as the piece progresses toward a finale. I may have to give that a go when I get some time here. Thanks!

@Alkorri: Thank you! Asian Graveyard is a bit of a mix culturally. One of the flutes playing is an Xiao Flute, which is an ancient Chinese instrument. But I have it layered with an Aztec Clay Flute. Haha. They sounded good together! I couldn't help it... And some of the shakers/light percussion clacks I have in there are Vietnamese. 

The "plucky" strings in there are Guzheng and Pipa strings. They are both Chinese as well, but they do indeed have close Japanese counterparts. The Guzheng is considered an ancestor to the Japanese Koto. And the Japanese Biwa is supposed to have been derived from the Pipa. They can sound very, very similar. Lastly, the bowed string that comes in at the end is an Erhu, which is also Chinese. Sure! I can try a slower version. It wouldn't take too much to do that and see what how it sounds! Thank you!

Thanks so much again to all who took the time to review everything. I really enjoy reading through everything and seeing the responses! I hope I didn't forget anyone! Best wishes, all.

Scythuz

Explorer Bot *beep beep*
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Can I give a feedback, do you want more?!

Graphics:

@Avery - At this rate I think we should just have you do every icon possible haha, you're so prolific.  They're cool and so is the skelerat.
@Candacis - I do love the talking mirror and tiles you have here.  I particularly like the wall tiles.

@Caz - I think I've already told you how much I like these, don't think I mentioned that Jill-o-the-Lantern is my favourite one though.

@Marimo - Speaking of Jill-o-the-latern... awesome battler Barrymo, hope we see more contributions from you in the future :)

@Matseb - So..much... stuffz!  The animated battlers are my favourite part though I'd say!

@Pandamaru - I'm surprised you still managed to contribute after the amazing amount of stuff you did last time!  I like the rat skeleton the most this time I'd say.

@Thalzon - Impressive range of battlers, no excuses for anyone not to put battles in a Halloween themed game now!
Music

@DM - Asian Graveyard is pretty out there haha, it's a nice track but I feel it's not quite varied enough (which is what I'd say about my own music this release tbh, we did kinda have to rush though).  
So what's the name of the person you kidnapped for Hallow's Eve Ritual?  Moaning old man? :D  Got no issues with this one and I like the bell sounds.

The Phantom's Castle is nice and spooky spoopy, I really like it when the drums come in later on.  Only suggestion I have is to maybe increase the sustain or reverb on the piano bass so it sounds even more unnatural, I like how you included a midi version of this too.

@Iron Croc -  Well you already know what I think of this but I'll put it again here so you can refer back to it.  My main concerns are that the tracks samples don't sound particularly great and that the dynamics of the song and overall production could be improved.  Look into having the organs come in slightly less dramatically, a build up would have helped a fair bit too here.  Also the organ sample you used sounds pretty grating when it goes to the high notes and I probably would have replaced it with a different instrument specifically at that part.  

Don't be discouraged though, it's one of the first times I've seen you break away from doing that relaxing style music you're so good at, just keep at it, take the criticism on board and you'll be fine :)
Good work everyone and I hope to see you all in the Xmas release! :D

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Thank you all for your feedback! :)

Just wanted to say that I made a lot more book tiles and worked together with PandaMaru to create a library tileset. You can find it in my resource thread under Coop Tilesets, and soon, I'm sure, also in her thread.

Super121830

Play-fighter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Very good resources, I was needing battlers like that to a halloween-themed game I just started last week.

And the music, specially Scythuz themes are amazing, planning to use them.

Congrats everyone who made the resources.

Little Paw

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey um, someone told me that some of the ReStaffs have edits of DS pack tilesets and stuff in them. Can anyone please point me in the direction of which ones have these edits?

Caz

Green Eyes Blonde Dragon
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The edits to the original tilesets are very minor. Most (if not all) of the DS/DS+ resources in ReStaff releases are from scratch. I'll make a list of any resources in that style I can find from a quick search. I think this is all of them!

September 2013:

Caz's DS+ Fort Tiles

RM Birthday:

EvilEagles' DS Addons

March-June 2014:

Caz's DS+ Castle Tiles

EvilEagles' DS Addons Update

July-August 2014:

Caz's DS+ Holiday Tiles

September-October 2014:

Caz's DS+ Spaceship Tiles

Palladinthug's DS+ NPC Charactersets

November 2014:

Caz's DS+ Halloween Outfit Charactersets

Little Paw

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The edits to the original tilesets are very minor. Most (if not all) of the DS/DS+ resources in ReStaff releases are from scratch. I'll make a list of any resources in that style I can find from a quick search. I think this is all of them!

September 2013:

Caz's DS+ Fort Tiles

RM Birthday:

EvilEagles' DS Addons

March-June 2014:

Caz's DS+ Castle Tiles

EvilEagles' DS Addons Update

July-August 2014:

Caz's DS+ Holiday Tiles

September-October 2014:

Caz's DS+ Spaceship Tiles

Palladinthug's DS+ NPC Charactersets

November 2014:

Caz's DS+ Halloween Outfit Charactersets

GGSlayer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
Great Staff 

Thanks  :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I've heard a lot of dumb stuff in my time, but I just had someone contact me via FB. Just so they could tell me they know the most about the pandemic because they have ties to a crime family. I guess for some people 2 + 2 really adds up to 5. :LZSwink:
My sister is a saint. Specifically Saint Peter. Because shes my best friend until other ppl are around then shes all "nope, dont know him, dont like him."
Making it a rule that I don't do any world building for my new game before the actual gameplay is concrete and working. I have 16 years of lore to work with anyway.
Cheesy power metal makes everything better. No matter what you do, you'll feel heroic doing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinwick11