Willibab

The Lord of Whackery
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I used the DevTools to add text to the status menu.

Code:
SceneManager._scene._statusWindow.drawTextEx(" \\c[0]Job Lv. \\c[4]10 \\c[0]-\n\n \\c[0]Job Lv. \\c[4]20 \\c[0]-\n\n \\c[0]Job Lv. \\c[4]30 \\c[0]-\n\n \\c[0]Job Lv. \\c[4]40 \\c[0]-\n\n \\c[0]Job Lv. \\c[4]50 \\c[0]-", 15, 210)
SceneManager._scene._statusWindow.drawTextEx(" \\c[0]Job Lv. \\c[4]60 \\c[0]-\n\n \\c[0]Job Lv. \\c[4]70 \\c[0]-\n\n \\c[0]Job Lv. \\c[4]80 \\c[0]-\n\n \\c[0]Job Lv. \\c[4]90 \\c[0]-\n\n \\c[0]Job Lv. \\c[4]99 \\c[0]-", 320, 210)

Which makes it look like this

SceneManager.PNG

But I don't know how to implement it tbh. Anyone able to make this into a plugin or can I use the code as is?

The intention is to show which skills the class learns at the indicated levels, it can just be text form as I don't have class changes, or show the text based on skill id I suppose?

If I could just see how the text is implemented then I would not mind manually adding each text to each class even.

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Each game window controls how its own contents are drawn. For a plugin, you would at least need to know the name of the constructor for the _statusWindow instance. If you're not sure what that might be, you can enter this into the console to check:

SceneManager._scene._statusWindow.constructor.name

Willibab

The Lord of Whackery
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Capture.PNG

@caethyril found a solution, tnx. I had used Window_StatusBase instead of Window_Status :p

Managed to get the static text working. (I may have screwed up the xp/to next lvl in the process though xD)

Now I need to find out how to draw skill names :p

Last edited:

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Looks like you have the general idea! Notes:
  1. JavaScript:
       this.drawText(this.JobLevel(), x, y + lineHeight * 4, 270, "left");
    The JobLevel method doesn't return a value, but you're using it as if it returns a string here. It's probably drawing undefined somewhere way off to the right, because x is 800. It looks OK because when JobLevel is called, that method draws the text. Better to rearrange that~

2. You're passing 6 arguments in each of the drawText calls, but that function only handles 5 arguments: text, x, y, width, align. I assume you first typed the 3rd , instead of a + by accident, then worked around that result.

3. Block 2 of the status window is the area next to the face image. I feel like it would make more sense to add this drawing call somewhere else.
Suggestion (untested):
JavaScript:
/*:
 * @target MZ
 * @plugindesc Status screen stuff!
 * @help Terms of use: free to use and/or modify for any project.
 */

// Patch - after usual refresh, draw job info if appropriate
(() => {
  const alias = Window_Status.prototype.refresh;
  Window_Status.prototype.refresh = function() {
    alias.apply(this, arguments);
    if (this._actor) {
      this.drawJobInfo();
    }
  };
})();

// New - draw the job info block
Window_Status.prototype.drawJobInfo = function() {
  const lineHeight = this.lineHeight();
  let x = 15, y = 220, level = 10;
  for (let n = 0; n < 5; n++) {
    this.drawJobLevel(level, x, y);
    y += lineHeight;
    level += 10;
  }
};

// New - draw a single job info line at specified coordinated
Window_Status.prototype.drawJobLevel = function(level, x, y, width = 270) {
  const text = "Job Lv. " + level;
  this.drawTextEx(text, x, y, width);
};
I used a loop because it seemed appropriate here. Remember you can reference the displayed actor as this._actor if you need to check their stats, e.g. current job level. I also replaced drawText with drawTextEx for text code support, like you had in your console stuff.

Also, in case it helps to clarify things: Window_Status inherits from Window_StatusBase, i.e. if there isn't a Window_Status method for a thing, it will be "auto-filled" by the Window_StatusBase version. You're correct, though: this override should be for Window_Status because you don't want to affect the others (Window_MenuStatus, Window_EquipStatus, etc). :kaophew:

[Edit: corrected a couple of typos in the code.]

Last edited:

Willibab

The Lord of Whackery
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thanks! The reason its all a mess is because I don't know much about coding at all xD

I wanted to use drawTextEx too but couldn't figure out how to do it.

Or, maybe I learned a little bit now.

Got an error but it was fixed when I added ''= function'' to two places.

I don't even have a clue what that means but it seems to have worked (Maybe its not fixed?)

stsa.PNG

Last edited:

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Oops, sorry! You're correct, e.g. this
JavaScript:
Window_Status.prototype.drawJobInfo() {
...should be this:
JavaScript:
Window_Status.prototype.drawJobInfo = function() {
I just edited my previous post with the corrections, thanks for pointing that out~

Looks like you've got it working, nice! :kaojoy:

Willibab

The Lord of Whackery
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I used the DevTools to add text to the status menu.

Code:
SceneManager._scene._statusWindow.drawTextEx(" \\c[0]Job Lv. \\c[4]10 \\c[0]-\n\n \\c[0]Job Lv. \\c[4]20 \\c[0]-\n\n \\c[0]Job Lv. \\c[4]30 \\c[0]-\n\n \\c[0]Job Lv. \\c[4]40 \\c[0]-\n\n \\c[0]Job Lv. \\c[4]50 \\c[0]-", 15, 210)
SceneManager._scene._statusWindow.drawTextEx(" \\c[0]Job Lv. \\c[4]60 \\c[0]-\n\n \\c[0]Job Lv. \\c[4]70 \\c[0]-\n\n \\c[0]Job Lv. \\c[4]80 \\c[0]-\n\n \\c[0]Job Lv. \\c[4]90 \\c[0]-\n\n \\c[0]Job Lv. \\c[4]99 \\c[0]-", 320, 210)

Which makes it look like this

Capture.PNG

But I don't know how to implement it tbh. Anyone able to make this into a plugin or can I use the code as is?

The intention is to show which skills the class learns at the indicated levels, it can just be text form as I don't have class changes, or show the text based on skill id I suppose?

If I could just see how the text is implemented then I would not mind manually adding each text to each class even.

My original post should have looked more like this, having a full mock up instead of me trying to explain the rest of it in text :p I wasn't sure how to do it even in the SceneManager stuff, displaying different skills depending on the actor.

But yeah, phase 2 is to add the skills next to the Job Lv. xx :p No rush though :p

I tried to do a sneaky one and morph @caethyril's code for this purpose but...

Code:
  (() => {
    const alias = Window_Status.prototype.refresh;
    Window_Status.prototype.refresh = function() {
      alias.apply(this, arguments);
      if (this._actor) {
        this.drawJobSkills();
      }
    };
  })();

// New - draw the job info block
  Window_Status.prototype.drawJobSkills = function() {
    const lineHeight = this.lineHeight();
    let x = 150, y = 220, skillId = 47;
    for (let n = 0; n < 5; n++) {
      this.drawSkillsLevel(skillId, x, y);
      y += lineHeight + 30;
      skillId + 2;
    }
  };

// New - draw a single job info line at specified coordinated
    Window_Status.prototype.drawSkillsLevel = function(skillId, x, y, width = 270) {
      const text = "- " + skillId;
    };

Just shows the text ofc, like I said...No idea what im doing xD

Would something like this be possible though? Like showing a list of skills downward? And have a different list depending on actor.

sdfds.PNG

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You can get the database record for a given skill ID like this:

$dataSkills[skillId]
The name of the skill is stored in its name property. So you could try:
JavaScript:
Window_Status.prototype.drawSkillsLevel = function(skillId, x, y, width = 270) {
  const skill = $dataSkills[skillId];
  const text = "- " + (skill?.name ?? `(skill ${skillId})`);
};
As I mentioned earlier, you can check some property of this._actor (a Game_Actor reference) if needed, e.g. you can make skillId depend on this._actor.actorId() or this._actor._classId.

In case it helps, you can find details about RMMZ's database structure here:

Willibab

The Lord of Whackery
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@caethyril Thanks! I'm still not quite sure what to do tbh, but I think I'll try to learn more about js. I've always been a really slow learner when it comes to anything to do with computer stuff, not sure why as all I do is sit in front of one xD

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

WHEEL3.gif
Ooker spookers and fun attack mechanics! What a Friday!
Not today... Not today...
I guess I should send my CV to Hasbro. I've made Monopoly cheaters edition more fun and challenging. I've developed custom cheats and chest/chance cards for it. And I've cleared many nightmares through my cards and rules.
I'm only missing 2 more bgms for my game but maaaaan, searching for these tracks is killing me. Can't find anything good to replace MZ's Theme 2 and Scene 5 I have as placeholders. Everything is too epic or too evil or too alarming. That 'scene 5' track in particular would fit nicely with my scene. Well, at least I finally figured what my last click-fest of a gameplay element will be like, so something positive :D
Finding new interesting stuff to make for the resource calendar becomes harder every year D:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vestrio