Schematist

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello all! I am new to this forum, but I thought it would be a great idea to introduce myself!  my name is Calbert Warner and I am an inspiring Videogame composer.  I come from somewhat of a classical background since I have played the piano for about four years. I am a huge Nobuo Uematsu Fan as he also taught himself how to play the piano at a fairly young age.   

I also draw inspiration from artists such as Dave Wise, Yuzo Koshiro, Elton John, Koji Kondo, Nujabes, Zircon, Yoko Shimomura, Aivi Tran, and Hans Zimmer.

I have always been an avid listener of video game music since playing Super Castlevania 4, Super Mario World and Donkey Kong. Each game had such memorable tunes that had me humming for days on end, but my spark to compose was triggered by Nobuo Uematsu's work (Particularly in FF4 and FF9). He really brought life to the environments of the game and I wanted to bring that same rush of emotion to players as well.

If not at all too much trouble please have a listen to some of my tracks and let me know what you guys think ^_^

Battle Theme Concept 1

https://soundcloud.com/schematist/deadlock

Battle Theme Concept 2

https://soundcloud.com/schematist/rpg-battle-concept-fatal-frost

Town Concept

https://soundcloud.com/schematist/rpg-town-theme-concept

Forest Concept

https://soundcloud.com/schematist/phantom-forest

Swamp Concept

https://soundcloud.com/schematist/hollow-marsh

RPG Title Screen Theme Concept

https://soundcloud.com/schematist/rpg-title-screen-theme

Haunted House Concept

https://soundcloud.com/schematist/original-vgm-night-shift

or pay a visit to my youtube channel to look at my full portfolio :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/CrimsonAzure7

Thanks again!

OM3GA-Z3RO

Wounded Seraphim
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
OMG That deadlock one sounds amazing although it would be nice if it was a loop, wish I could use that for my game, keep up the good work

Last edited by a moderator:

Schematist

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
OMG That deadlock one sounds amazing although it would be nice if it was a loop, wish I could use that for my game, keep up the good work
Thank you so much Om3ga!   You might be able to use it if the current team I am working with (Crimson Forge Games) does not have a use for it :) It would be easy to loop when I convert it to an OGG File.

LittleSandcat

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You make me want to go back to Sibelius and try to compose something decent, haha.

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Deadlock is definitely an awesome piece.   

Some of the others like Fatal Frost (well named BTW) are very nice for certain environments.

The town piece really reminded me of elves/faeries.

What's also interesting is how RPG maker can change the tempo which can radically alter the mood of the piece, since it also changes the pitch of every note accordingly.  I've been putting that to use in my first, mini RPG.

Schematist

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Deadlock is definitely an awesome piece.   

Some of the others like Fatal Frost (well named BTW) are very nice for certain environments.

The town piece really reminded me of elves/faeries.

What's also interesting is how RPG maker can change the tempo which can radically alter the mood of the piece, since it also changes the pitch of every note accordingly.  I've been putting that to use in my first, mini RPG.
I actually ended up putting a lot of energy into deadlock so I am glad you found it enjoyable Whitesphere! Thank you.

Fatal Frost is actually the battle theme for a snow mountain area so it's awesome to hear that someone could pick up on that environment feeling.

As for the town theme I was aiming for mellow and a little sad, but I love how everyone has their own interpretation!

Lastly, I had no idea that RPG Maker could change the tempo of songs!

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Schematist:

To try it out, import the song into RPG Maker's Resources.  Then, choose the song as background music or a background sound.

Then change the nifty slider that says, I think "Tempo".  It ranges from 50 to 150%.  When you press Play, it will play the song faster or slower than normal (normal = 100%).

I've taken lighthearted Town themes and made them downright eerie that way, by slowing them into a minor key...works splendidly for, for example, a town mostly destroyed by the final boss...

It's a great way to get more music out of a single piece.

Schematist

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Schematist:

To try it out, import the song into RPG Maker's Resources.  Then, choose the song as background music or a background sound.

Then change the nifty slider that says, I think "Tempo".  It ranges from 50 to 150%.  When you press Play, it will play the song faster or slower than normal (normal = 100%).

I've taken lighthearted Town themes and made them downright eerie that way, by slowing them into a minor key...works splendidly for, for example, a town mostly destroyed by the final boss...

It's a great way to get more music out of a single piece.
Wonderful Advice Whitesphere! I will have to experiment with that and see what I can come up with : ). Much appreciated!

LittleSandcat

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I truly appreciate the positive feedback Sandcat! It means a lot, but I am sure your compositions are more than fine :)
Heh, you're welcome. And I think they're okay, but I'm still learning the ropes, to be honest. Hehe.

Palsa

General of Aurda
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Outstanding works, I especially love the Hollow Marsh and Night Shift pieces. :D

Schematist

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Outstanding works, I especially love the Hollow Marsh and Night Shift pieces. :D
This means a great deal MetalRaptor! Thank you! This is truly a passion of mine and I hope to fully break into the industry one day. :) Of course this is a distant dream hahahah.

Simon D. Aelsi

Voice Actor/Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hylian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
..this is a distant dream...
ANY dream is attainable if you truly work hard at it.

I like your distinct style-- My personal fave is the title screen. You've got great samples too! Where'd you get 'em?

It'll take a lot of blood, sweat and tears on your part but believe in YOURSELF and you WILL get there!

Schematist

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
ANY dream is attainable if you truly work hard at it.

I like your distinct style-- My personal fave is the title screen. You've got great samples too! Where'd you get 'em?

It'll take a lot of blood, sweat and tears on your part but believe in YOURSELF and you WILL get there!
Thank you for the motivational words Iron Croc! I could really use any bit of support  to make this happen! It took me a while to really start finding my style and sound, but once I did I just kept on practicing until it really began to take it's final form.  As for samples I use quite a few, but my main hitter comes from  Kontakt 9 . A lot of people don't like kontakt but I think it has a nice selection of sounds. This includes samples from massive, and Fm8. 

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Evening humans! How goes the game make?
The anime characters we saw 20 years ago,
still have the same age when we see them now.
Somehow it's strange but also beautiful.
It's like no matter how much we change,
there's certain part of ourselves we can reconnect to when we see them again.
Took a long, long time, way longer than it should to be honest...but I've finally finished the big content update to my demo!
Lots of not good things happening IRL but I'm not gonna let this day end like this. Quote time:
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." -Winston Churchill

So, keep going, lads. Whatever you do keep going. Until next time.

It's a Spanish devlog don't get scared!. (please)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colonn