Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As I stated in my introduction, I came to this forum to get a feedback and advice about my game, "Schlangan et la fine équipe" (Schlangan and the dream team). I didn't know exactly whether I should put it here on in Projects developments, since I've been working on it for several months, but since I need feedback, it could be subjected to major changes, so I'll post it here for now. This is the description of the game in its current state, which takes around 30 hours to complete chapter I. Chapter II is for now at ~20 hours play.

Synopsis

This story starts in the year 325 of the universal calendar. The universe, in the definition we all know, is composed of numerous races and populations. They are dispersed on myriad planets throughout galaxies. The space age has been reached by several planets, and they started the conquest of the universe. Because of this, many intergalactic empires have been created. To face so many opponents, the empires started to group themselves into alliances.

We'll follow what becomes of Schlangan, commander of the Ragnarok alliance. He is a strange snake humanoid, ruling his empire from the planet Releeshan. Being quite quiet until now, his usual pace will be set upside down due to extraordinary forces far superior to him, whether they are god-level of not. By assembling a team of fighters, Schlangan will have to face what destiny has stored for him. Will he be able to reach the levels of gods and stronger beings ? Only the future can tell us...

The story was initially based on fun facts on the browser OGame, where you control an intergalactic empire. But, since I read a lot of mangas, the story has become a shonen-like story, with enemies that become more and more powerful (Dragon Ball influence from my generation I suppose). That's why I think the RPG genre is the best choice for that story, the characters gain XP and also progress. A lot of references to other universes will appear inside the game, as well as mythologies. I also took the shinigamis from the Bleach manga, so if you know about it, you'll surely find things similar to it concerning Schlangan.

Characters

In the first part of this story, you'll follow along Schlangan and his four elite soldiers. Then, new characters will come and join the fray.

Schlangan
The snake humanoid with bat wings. He rules the empire of the planet Releeshan, as well as the Ragnarok alliance. His strength and fighting abilities are far beyond normal humans. Because of this, he let his team deal with basic missions. He only intervenes when there is no choice. After he vanquished the dictator Koyata, he took control of the planet. The four elite soldiers that were forced to obey Koyata thus decided to join the ranks of Schlangan.

Yurok
The first of the four elite soldiers. Like his teammates, his real name is kept hidden, and he prefers to be called under this codename. Very proficient with dual pistols, he also know how to give first aid to his teammates.

Wenk
With his strong personality, he's always ready to directly attack his opponents. He fights at close range with a short sword, and knows how to resist damages.

Xayt
Logisitics manager, also the most patient of the team. He'll usually be setback to shoot the opponents with his precision rifle. He also uses several kinds of hand grenades to deal with enemy groups.

Zerf
The swiftest of the team. Using two daggers, he knows how to quickly and precisely hit his opponents. He inflicts damages to handicap them, for example by striking the central nerve system to paralyze them.

Antoine
Quite hefty, he is a composed person, able to provide good advice. His strong build helps him to intimidate his opponents.

Mathias
Very smart, he tends to speak far too much, being always interrupted by other people. However, his powerful mind helps him find extraordinary solutions when confronted to terrific problems or enemies.

Michaël
A person using Karate as a basis to fight. He however possesses a strange power. When he is too hungry or tired, a black aura surrounds his body, and make him stronger but uncontrollable.

Voice
A small person whose name is not known. All people call him "Voice" because he usually wear T-shirts with "Voice" written on them. He suffers from an advanced from of narcolepsy, as he can fall asleep at any time, even during a fight.

Katerina
A woman encountered in the city in later missions. She is very strong, and will join the team later on. No more information to avoid spoilers.

Gameplay

It's far too much to try to map the whole universe for a single game. Because of this, it won't be possible to go anywhere and anytime. Instead of that, I created a mission system. Primary missions are used to follow the main story that I wrote, while secondary missions bring side details on the universe and are used to train the characters. Any unlocked character may be played during a secondary mission, while there is no choice for primary missions. That's why it's really recommended to train all characters.

During missions, you have Camping kits to completely heal the team. While secondary missions let you go back to the main base at any time, it is not always possible with primary missions. However, clues on the required levels will always be given by NPCs.

The main system follows the RPG classic systems, where characters gain experience while winning fights. They gain levels and increase automatically their stats. Two major differences also exist compared to "standard" RPGs. Firstly, there is no equipment in the game. The stats won't improve by changing items. Secondly, the stats may completely change during primary missions. For example, the characters will train in the story and have all their stats upgraded at a result. Because of this, the level of a character don't necessarily reflect its strength. Schlangan is far stronger than the four soldiers. To beat Schlangan lvl. 30 with the four soldiers, it would for example require something like the four soldiers at lvl. 120, which is not possible since the maximum level is 99.

The stats of the characters will change in between chapters, since it is one RPG Maker project per game. However, the strength of the characters storywise is not reduced. Instead, the units of the displayed values is changed to avoid extremely high values later on.

The fight system is using a side view, paused activated time battle. Doing so, the fastest character will act more often. The ATB pauses during command selections, to let you time to think, especially for characters like Schlangan who have a tremendous amount of skills. The game language may be switched between French and English.

The enemies are visible on the map. They will come towards you at different speeds once you're in their range, and will be sometimes avoidable, depending on the situation. There is no respawn for the enemies. Secondary missions will also have a "fully complete" mode if you beat all the enemies.

Screen captures
Here are some screen captures of the new MV version of the game.

Landscapes :

Fight system :

Interface :

More screen captures can be found on Deviant Art :
http://schlangan.deviantart.com/gallery/59030739/RPG-Maker-MV-SFE

Game advancement

Since the game is based on the story I write (which exceed 3000 pages and is around... one third of the whole story), RPG Maker MV is not enough to put everything in a single game. To exceed those limits without using scripts that may complicate the mapping too much, I'll make several games and put them together in a single application that'll deal with the save transfer. In the end, it'll make a single game with many chapters. But due to the actual length of the game, if I want to finish everything, it would take years. Thus, I was thinking of a "patch" system, by adding missions bit by bit to the game. You'll just have to replace the game with the new version in the same folder. Your save won't be overwritten, and you'll be able to resume the game at that point. Also, it'll help for the debugging.

If I had to give a percentage of the first season of the story, I'll compare with the chapters of the story. Obviously only primary mission account for it, since secondary missions are not part of what I've written.
  • Progress of the story : Chapter 85 / 490
Available missions :

This is the list of all current missions of the game. Purple missions are primary missions that follow the story, while green italic missions are secondary missions to train characters and add optional elements to the universe.

* Chapter I - The Yosha cult
  • 1. Treh Ning's arrestation
  • 2. Treh Ning's gift
  • 3. The contaminated forest
  • 4. Flotin's Christmas gift
  • 5. The former prison
  • 6. Problems in Nathrax
  • 7. Flotin's father
  • 8. Koyata's experiments
  • 9. An eventful Christmas
  • 10. The golden dricater
  • 11. A new Year
  • 12. Trainings
  • 13. The escapee
  • 14. The L.A.G. alliance
  • 15. The Shayo center
  • 16. A new trade
  • 17. Invasion
  • 18. Schlangan's plan
  • 19. The artifact of Yosha
  • 20. Attack against the alliance
  • 21. Chasing Rashi'k
  • 22. The final goal of the Yosha cult
  • 23. Stop Zestar
  • 24. Koyata's resurrection
* Chapter II - The deceit of Gods
  • 1. Yureka's accomodation
  • 2. Power-up
  • 3. The weapon traffic
  • 4. The Order of the Sigh
  • 5. A new alliance
  • 6. Agenusha and the Yosha cult
  • 7. The unbalanced rift
  • 8. The end of peaceful days
  • 9. Hellish trip
  • 10. Eagle and amazon
  • 11. The last android
  • 12. Zuzudith's defense
  • 13. The level of minor gods
  • 14. The lost planet
  • 15. The cult of The Life
  • 16. The trial of The Death
  • 17. The forbidden weapon
  • 18. Unpredictable
  • 19. Koyata's successor
  • 20. Deadly resurrection
  • 21. The dragons of destruction
  • 22. The heart of Jigoku
  • 23. Available in v4.15 --
  • 24. Available in v4.16 --

Credits

Here is the list of credits for resources that I did not create myself.

Audio resources:
- RPG Maker MV, RPG Maker VX Ace
- Ryan Fogleman
- Bitter Sweet Entertainment (Future Steam Punk Collection)
- Joel Steudler (Cinematic Soundtrack)
- Joel Steudler (Modern Music Mega-Pack Resource Pack)
- Kain Vinosec (The Blackheart Power)
- Murray Atkinson (Rebel Rapture SND)
- Murray Atkinson (RPG Maker MV Base DLC)

Graphical resources:
- RPG Maker MV, RPG Maker VX Ace, RPG Maker XP
- First Seed Materials - (FSM Map - Town of Beginning)
- Celianna (Ancient Dungeon Jungle)
- Pandamaru's trees
- Laura Fehér (Fantastic Buildings: Medieval)

Plugins:
- RPG Maker MV default engine
- Yanfly's Battle engines and scripts
- Terrax's Lighting system
- Orange Overlay plugin

Download link - Current version 4.14

Since I'll be adding new content bit by bit, I finally decided to create a launcher for the game. Doing so, it will automatically check online if there is a new version of the game, and propose you to update. It will also be useful if I have to create an urgent fix for something. The launcher will deal with the download of all the files.

The complete size of each chapter is :
- Chapter I : 656 MB
- Chapter II : 753 MB

Each chapter can be downloaded separately and played in any order, even if it is recommended to progress in the correct order of chapters. There is no save transfer in between chapters, so a completed chapter can be deleted from the computer if you need disk space.

As of the recent rework, only chapter I is currently playable. Chapter II will come back by the end of the year.

Here is a link to the executable file of the launcher. Usually it should work :
SFE Launcher - 250 kB

If for some reason it doesn't work, use the Setup for the launcher. The missing .NET framework will be installed.
SFE Launcher setup -50 MB

I'm lazy, so the file are not protected; you can find them in the launcher folder. If you want to use any graphical resources for yourself, please do so. It would be nice to tell me or give me some credits, but I can't force you, it's my choice to give it freely. To play the game, click Play on the launcher. You can put in Full Screen mode using F4. I'd recommend to leave the BGM; even though I used the some of the ones provided by RPG Maker, they are chosen in order to accompany the events in-game. You can change the volume using the options for a better comfort.

Thank you for taking time reading this massive block. I hope you'll enjoy the game if you try it :)

Last edited:

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A little update;

I'm almost done with the next mission, but I'll take a bit more time before releasing it; I decided, after reading several posts on this forum, to remove the random encounters and switch to a system where you actually see the enemies. It'll make the maps more lively, and it'll avoid one-step encounters as it sometimes happen. The enemies should respawn every time you change the map, to allow grinding if required (even though I'll balance them to avoid that).

I'll also try to redo the facesets to make them a bit better.

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
New update : As I posted in the screenshot section, I made a brand new status menu. I intend to do the same with the item/skill/mission/bestiary menus too. I will also switch from a global item bag to separate bags per character. Doing so, separated parties won't possess the same items.

I also plan to create an ATB system for the fights. Indeed, Schlangan being far more powerful than others characters, it's unfair that he only acts one time per turn. He's much faster than the others. It'll be a partial ATB though, the player will have time to select the actions, the ATB time will pause meanwhile. I'm also thinking of a new HUD for the battles.

Thus, there will be a lot of work to do before the next version is released. I'll put the screens here as soon as I have more. For now, the new status menu.

- New status menu

- New skill window

- New item windows

Last edited by a moderator:

Haofeng

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I figured because you'd been so kind as to reply to my topic and give feedback, I'd do the same for you.

The concept is quite interesting - I'm hoping it has some huge galactic scale, I like that kind of vastness.

I also like how you've edited the RTP, it looks quite good and matches your sprites, but, I do notice the issue you mentioned in my threat about shading. There is a lack of shading on the facesets as well as on the RTP edits I think you made. The map with spaceship (I think it is!) is nicely done and it gives the game a unique style. I think if you redid all of the RTP tilesets in this style it'd really benefit your game and make the visual style tie in with the facesets.

Talking about the facesets more in depth, I think they don't really need shading, as they've got a kind of retro look to them, with the hard pixel edge. Some of the them could do with some tweaks to the proportions, but overall I like the style (reminds me of early Elder Scrolls games).

I'll try the demo after my exams have finished next Monday, and give you some more in-depth impressions then.

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you for your feedback :)

I'm not sure i'd be able to redo all RTPs with hard lines; if the resolution of RMXP was twice what it is, (i mean 64x64 tiles instead of 32x32 and thus bigger resolution than 640x480), I'd give it try. I will rather redo the facesets, and also the spaceships since you mentioned them, by replacing the black lines by somehow darker greys to actually match RMXP default style.

I currently have two spaceships to redefine :

Concerning the demo, you can either try current version, or wait one of two weeks; by then I should be done with the new version that changes a lot of things in the HUD as well as the systems; There are no more invisible encounters, enemies are now visible on the maps; and I'm working right now on a separate bag system, with each character having its own items, and possibility to give items to others, and so on. Then, my main change will be the battle system that will become Active Time Battle.

Haofeng

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
What kind of style were you looking for, for the facesets? And visual style you would like to go for (such as from an anime or manga). If so, I can take a look and let you know how to replicate a similar style. Although, if you're using Paint it might be kind of hard...

Alternatively, if you're looking at recreating the facesets again, and they're all using one set facial expression, I might be able to help redraw them (as long as you use a style I'm comfortable with). Just a thought, I can't promise anything since like I said, it depends on what style you want to go for. As you might have guessed, my style is more 'cute' than it is 'gritty and shonen' ;P

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Don't worry about it, I'll manage at some point ^^ Though when I'll try new ones, any advice would be great at that moment. As for the software, I also have Corel Paint Shop Pro, so it should be sufficient to do shadings. But typically, I need to learn to change the structure of the bones of a face to not make simple copy/paste of characters ^^ Then with shading it should be better than using hard lines. The thing is, unlike you, I plan to make facesets for all NPCs, and they obviously have different face expressions regarding the situation.

That's why for now, I plan to complete my new HUDs and battle system, I'll work on the facesets again after that. I alos need to make progress on the story, for now 4h play is worth 1% of the season 1 of my story, so I still have a looooot to do :)

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Little update; now the new battle system is implemented, I'm currently revamping the battle maps to fit in the new appearance. I'm also editing the AI with the new possibilities I created such as healing allies depending on their health, sending poison to characters that are not affected by it, and so on.

I also have to work on the remaining menus, the basic one, the bestiary and the mission window. Then all what remains will be the two additional missions.

Clockwarkgate

RGSS2 User
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Good concept! And I agree on having simple and scriptless game play BUT more focus on the story. Just like "Wadanohara".

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Big news for once, with the release of the version 1.06 of the game ! It can now take up to 5-6 hours of play to explore everything. While waiting for any comments and suggestions, I'm going to work on the next mission, and see if I can finally change the facesets that everybody hates :D

I'm going to change the screen captures of the introduction posts, it will be better.

Edit : That's done.

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Little update, the new mission is in preparation. The mapping of the first island is done, I need to complete the second island (smaller), the undergound passage and the military subterranean base. The enemies have yet to be drawn, but it'll be done after all the events are in place.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've tried your demo and it was interesting, until I got to the tutorial planet.

I must say first that I'm not the kind of guy who likes combat and even less grinding, so that may explain what'll follow:

There are far too many fights. Your maps are made to encourage exploration, but the never-ending-respawn of impossible-to-avoid enemies discourage it.

It'd be better if the dead stayed dead. I spend more time in combat screens than on the maps and each time I transfer, there are several enemies to kill, running towards me.

And if I need to return to the ship for whatever reason, I have to go back to where I was. Including all those fights...

When you add the impossibility to save anywhere, with the obligation to do all those fights again each time I enter a map, that was too much for me.

I didn't even finish the tutorial because of this, which is a shame because your game has a lot of qualities.

I liked the inventory system, the level of interaction you added to the base and some humorous dialogues here and there. But I'll pass on your game, I'm not your target audience.

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was actually wondering about the fights. Whether to make them respawn or not. In fact, there are enough enemies on the way before the boss to prevent the need of grinding. So, it should be possible to make the enemies fightable once.

If the fights were happening a single time, would be you be more likely to continue ? (just to get a general idea, whether you do it or not)

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
There was no need to grind, but of course I was only on the tutorial planet with the first combats (which were easy, only too numerous).
I like to explore, but having respawn kills the pleasure. And since I can't avoid the enemies (narrow passages + enemies running + I can't run myself = fight each time) it's as boring (for me) as having random encounters set at a 5 steps threshold.

In my opinion, removing the respawn would be beneficial, but it would also require rebalancing the whole game, which may be too late now.

Or make the maps more straightforward to eliminate the need to explore and go back. At the risk of making the game look boring...

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I see your point. Many fights are unavoidable, because for me there is no way bandits will let you freely roam in their area ^^ In the 8th mission I'm coding, it's the contrary, enemies are slow so fights can be avoided, and it will be advised because of their strength.

Removing the respawn would not require any rebalancing. Optional areas will still be there to grind, and the boss are made to be beatable without grinding. It means that the shortest path with minimum encounters is enough to beat them. I'm starting to think of an option system to adjust difficulty : respawning/non respawning monsters. That way, it'll be up to the players.

The need to explore will not be removed. It is an important part, especially in later missions ^^

Edit : I'll add that in the next version, thanks for the idea :D

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
UPDATE :

Version 1.07 has been released ! Enjoy the new option that allow to enable/disable enemy respawn, as well as the new mission that will force you to use your brain and explore for a while ! For once, you may want to avoid enemies if you can, they hurt a lot :)

The first post has been edited, but here is the current download link :

Download Link

For those who have already started to play, just overwrite the contents of the game folder, your save will be still usable.

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Little update :

I decided to merge missions 9 and 10 into a single mission : An eventful Christmas. Consequently, I'm now half done with the next mission. At this rate, the new release should come by the end of the month. (If I manage to keep that pace of course).

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
UPDATE :

Version 1.08 has been released ! Discover in the new mission the members of the Ragnarok alliance, and enjoy a stealth minigame to bring in the two new main characters !

As usual the first post has been edited with the new download link. You can overwrite your game folder, it won't affect your current saves.

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Little update, some new changes are coming along for the next version. The training room will be renewed, the NPCs in the base will be properly sit down.

One the main changes will follow what cabfe what saying during the short test of the game; now the teleport beacons will be activated upon encounter, and it will possible to teleport back to the beacons from the ship. No more needs to walk all the way back !

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
UPDATE

Version 1.09 is now available ! Enjoy the new training room, or track the mysterious golden dricater !

As usual the first post has been edited with the new download link. You can overwrite your game folder, it won't affect your current saves.

Here is the new download link : Download SFE v1.09

The first post also lists the changes of the version, but here they are to gain time :

• New content :The story is properly introduced after selecting the New Game option
  • New secondary mission : The golden dricater
  • Filtering and sorting options for the bestiary
  • The NPCs of Schlangan's military base are now correctly sitting down on their chairs.
  • It is now possible to sit on the chairs, instead of only walking over them
  • New training room system
  • Improvement of some tilesets
  • Better fog effects for ambient lights in some interior maps
  • Two-way teleportations from/to teleport beacons
  • Bug fixes :The sleeping NPCs in the infirmary does not have their eyes opened anymore.
  • Missing singular form texts in the military base (if the players keeps strolling around with one soldier only in the party)
  • The puzzle door in mission 8 was blocked if the player chose to reset the command consoles after solving the puzzle.
  • Healing no longer removes paralysis everytime
  • While standing on cliffs, monsters below you cannot attack you anymore.
  • Coherent escape system from the monsters, they will no longer disappear if you run away
  • Typos in some dialogs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The new intro Logo for my videos.
The workweek is now over. Now I can work on my GamZzzzzZzzzzZzzzZzzZz....
Just watched Onward with the family. One of the best movies I've ever seen. <3
2 hours & 20 minutes remaining. :D
...trying to hurry finish up all commissions before I never put the controller down again ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AaronWho