Sci Fi Battlebacks

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score

Today, we've got a super exciting new product - and something quite a few of you have been asking for!

Sci Fi Battlebacks is a resource pack filled with hand-painted battle backgrounds created by Michael Rookard. The pack includes a large variety of futuristic and science-fiction backgrounds, from alien landscapes to star-ship decks.

Click here to see screenshots and read more information.

Member+, don't forget your generous discount!

GIVEAWAY

Winners:

AwesomeCool

Athryl

xspec

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
wow, these are totally cool. If only I had a real scifi game to use them in. lol. Well, I suppose I might just have to make one up.

I shan't join the competition because I'm having a very hard time thinking of a universe quirk to have. lol.

poorrabbit

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Here's a question: how big are they?

I tend to bump the resolution of my games up a little bit, so I can't use standard battlebacks

without stretching them, a process that has mixed results.

Skyfrid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Awesome! Hmm... as for the question, the strangest feature of the universe would be that everyone had to wear dress the give them "extra features". (yes even the guys.) Imagine them fighting alien in a dress and armor. :D

AwesomeCool

Bratty and spoiled little sister
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Awesome pack!  

The strangest thing would be all of us being robots yet still be able to procreate.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Here's a question: how big are they?

I tend to bump the resolution of my games up a little bit, so I can't use standard battlebacks

without stretching them, a process that has mixed results.
They are standard size, however I did build them in about triple the resolution.  I'm not sure if that really helps you though, haha.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Beautiful, beautiful work!

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
The strangest feature would be:  Why are humans alive and how is human society still recognizable, after the alien invasion?    This would be set not long at all after the invasion, and now aliens and humans live together in reasonable harmony.

Think about it:  If aliens were, say, 400 years more advanced than humans, they could flatten us easily in combat.  And, just by the odds of sheer chance, the odds are vanishingly small that aliens would be only 400 years more advanced than us.  If I do sci-fi, I try my best to have it be as logical and scientifically plausible (with any necessary handwaves, of course) as possible.

captainproton

Dangerously Nifty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
These look great!

Quirkiest feature? Hmm. Every planet is actually a parallel world. Everything and everyone would have an analog on the other planets.

boldpaste2

The Dragon Heretics
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This is really neat :p

I guess for a futuristic universe and had a strange feature. I would say planets evolved that live and travel on their own accord and we would have to role with it.

The Prince of Sarcasm

Prince of sarcasm
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sarcasm
Primarily Uses
My universe would have a planet creator. People could go in and design their own planet, with watever they could imagine. The planet I created had candy trees that grew video games.

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Dekitaaaa~!

Right, worldbuilding! Love this sort of thing :D

Naturally, every element's application in this new universe would likely be different, such as the use of helium to create some sort of bedding or floating chair. However, it is a given that the life forms in this universe will also differ from ours, and thereby have very different needs. There is a possibility that the species there survive off materials otherwise toxic to us. As such, they will likely have very different bodily structures and shapes. If the atmosphere was not made of oxygen, but solely of something that enabled these species to survive (such as carbon dioxide?) then the species would have evolved to be lighter than ours. As a result, they may be lighter than helium, and therefore able to sit on the aforementioned helium chairs.

Now, I have to say I don't know what the casing for the helium would be! Perhaps some sort of light metal alloy made from nanoparticles?

In short: Different element uses. Helium for floating chairs, for example, as the species in the other universe may be lighter than ours.

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Love these! Really beautiful backgrounds and it's something we've always needed since there's always been a deficit in sci-fi battlebacks. Definitely going to be getting this once I'll start work on Incitement 3.

As for the giveaway question - well I have come up with a sci-fi universe already (more than one), and the strangest and quirkiest thing will have to be an incredibly chatty computer that keeps trying to sell furniture to the player every single time they enter its shop. :D

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Very nice battlebacks there :)

I guess the quirkiest thing in my universe would be this:

It is common knowledge that the whole universe is nothing more than a particle within the 'inf-verse' (yes, an infinite expansion of universes).

There would obviously be public transport to each of the other universes at  "8* : ☽" (8 stars past moon) each zerday...

This obviously created a very different environment from what we would be used to :p

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ok... been thinking about it.

If I was to make a Sci-fi universe, my quirk would be that there was not some universal translator. so you wouldn't be able to understand an alien race, and they wouldn't be able to understand you.

My example;

Jane was abducted at 7 years of age and kept in a cacoon like thing on an alien space ship to preserve her until the ship, which had been sent throughout the universe collecting samples of other lives for study. But on the way back something happens and the aliens all end up dead, and one by one the containtment containers fail, until at last there are only two, Janes and another alien child. Their containtment chambers open (for whatevr reason). The only problem is that neither of the children can understand each other, or the ship they are in, and have to somehow get the ship to work and build their trust. In the end, they are too far from their galaxies and are in fact in a very futuristic type of place, where they understand absolutely nothing.

I have this vision of 'Chamelon' being able to only communicate through the changing of skin colour, so each colour respresents  certain feelings, so Jane over time has to learn which colour means what, and Cham needs to learn what Janes bizare mouth sounds mean. they literally will never be able to communicate in each others language, and are in a place where no one has ever seen either race before. And of course they grow up to be awsome space pirates... or something...

Because all too often in alien adventures they all speak perfect english, or have translators, as a study into how people adapt I find it frustrating.

Bonkers

Get ready to be Wowed!
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Very small issue when going to the read me that is marked sci fi battlebacks: "READ THIS CAREFULLY BEFORE INSTALLING OR USING RPG MAKER Dungeon Music Pack."

Otherwise everything else is in order and I enjoyed my purchase =3 I was making a few computer generated backgrounds for conversations in an adventure game setting and these will do nicely as filler for some areas while my friend gets the others in order.

Jesse - PVGames

Game and Graphics Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just wanted to say that these look really awesome!

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
These are wondrous - far exceeding my expectations. Awesome set!

The quirkiest thing about my universe is that when you kill an enemy, you must carry part of him (in your person) for the rest of your life. Since most creatures have disfiguring traits (snouts, talons, tails) that would be awkward to accommodate, most fighters carry their souls.

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Oh man, these are amazing! I looove the green one.

As for my entry, I'll have to get back to that when I think something up. Will make a 2nd post :)

Athryl

The Reticent
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
In my science fiction universe you play as an 'alien' race (are they really alien if they are you?). They do not age, their bodies do not deteriorate, they are not susceptible to illness, but they can be injured and killed.  They also do not reproduce through any traditional means, the only way to further their species is for one to undergo a highly ritualized and lengthy metamorphosis where the original individual ceases to exist but two individuals are born fully developed.  Because of their extreme value for life they avoid military confrontation at all costs, losing individuals to battle greatly hurts their population.  While they are technologically more advanced than humanity they are not vastly superior and are just beginning to explore the universe and encounter the other forms of life in the universe and must tread carefully or else risk their entire species existence.

It or something similar has probably been done before, but I've not seen it at least :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Is there anyone who would like to resize some of sprites I've got and put them into MV sheet? I'm bad at that kind of things. I want to make a game, but I lack in resources and I'm bad at recolouring them, so my only option was to use a sprite maker from one game (Ive got permission to use it) but these are sprites from VX Ace and I only have MV. So, is there anyone interested in helping me?
Wow! This game looks great! Streaming now :D
Working on a system that allows you to define events in an easy to use text file format!!! Would you use such a thing? 0o
Have my fingers crossed, waiting for a discount sale on MZ on Steam.. Its normally around the corner during Halloween or x-mas season on Steam, if i remember right..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hjuy87