MRD256

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Which do you prefer? Modern Day/Sci-Fi Themed RPGs (with machines an things of the sorts), or Old Time-ish/Medieval Fantasy RPGs (with no machines), or even a mix of both (where only higher classed nations can use machines)

For me, I like Sci-Fi themed RPGs since they have cooler looking animations and also makes me think it could actually happen at some point (if you don't count the use of Magic).

Feel free to share your reasoning.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just prefer good games. The setting really doesn't matter all that much to me. Modern, Sci Fi, Mideval, Prehistoric, whatever. A good game is a good game, regardless of when it is set. Good stories are timeless.

Now, if we're talking about books... I prefer to write medieval style, but I prefer to read Sci-Fi books.

But, again, a game is a game. So long as it's good, what does it matter what time or place it takes place in? A laser gun makes people just as dead as a sword to the face. A world ending asteroid makes the world just as ended as a super necromancer spell that turns everyone undead. Love, friendship, and comradery are the same regardless of time period and location.

JGreene

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My current project utilizes both themes, but not necessarily mixed like you explained. I don't want to give away any spoilers!

I agree with @Tai_MT though. A good story is a good story, no matter how you decide to end the world... Lol :stickytongue:

If someone makes a game that makes any of the classics look like amateur work, I'd play the heck out of it! Even if the theme strongly resembled Candyland.

Last edited:

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Firefly.

that about sums it up.

DireSloth

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
A mix often makes for a more interesting setting. I really like steampunk because it's a natural way of mixing these two, actually.

l8rose

Neeeeerd
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Mixed for me. My first two RPGs were Chrono Trigger and FF6/3/whatevernumber. Both had elements of technology to varying degrees and it just meshed so well in each game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm an adult married woman

Being a hobbyist dev and also loving my job is like nothing to lose during both busy days and holidays ~ ♥
I tried to free some space in my phone and this is what I find: https://framapic.org/Dio090k00QQ6/8tiNZ3AV5IYw.png
...Almost 60% of all images in my gallery is just that- books and notes and guides...
I've bought a set of Harry Potter to entertain myself. However, my crazy geography homework accounts for more than half of my homework.
Girls with swords are cool on their own. Then I give them guns. *Profit*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssalum