Sarlecc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I have kinda been playing around with the idea of allowing players the option of using scientific notation vs normal long numbers. Which would also allow developers to use much larger numbers and still fit them in a small area to display. Also large numbers in scientific notation are easier to read for some player groups. This script would be an effective space saver for numbers that are 1,000,000 or larger.

So a number like this:

1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 becomes 1.0e+21

Largest number you can have without it displaying inf: 1.7976931348623157e+308 doubt anyone will use numbers this high but still...

Because Yanfly has scripts that allow developers to go beyond the normal number caps this script will support them.

You will be able to set what size number will get converted to scientific notation for each category. You can also use a switch to turn the scientific notation on or off.

Currently my script supports:

Gold values

Skill costs < custom skill costs are only partially supported at the moment

Actor levels < Found out I have a display bug with this one right now

Actor param's < Status window supported now

Equipment param's

Shop prices

Battle damage and battle log

$game_variables in windows

Debug < only for displaying numbers need to find a way to allow you to change numbers in debug to large numbers

Item menu
Need to work on support for:

Enemy target info

Saves

Enemy levels

Some of the lunatic scripts

Possibly some other Yanfly scripts
So my questions to you all is this a script you would be interested in seeing me finish? And are there other scripts you would like to see this script support? I won't be releasing this script until it supports all of Yanfly's scripts at least.

Edit: Due to current obligations I am putting this script on hold for now.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Good idea. It's better if it's also support game variables in message box using \V[n]. Can you make it?

Anyway, I never saw any game that use larger than 5 digits. So honestly. I have no interest to seeing this on status menu or in any menu or any HUD. Smaller number is easier to see and easier to balance. But it may be important to use in \V[n] since there's possibility that to use $game_variables in larger number.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I could see this being useful if someone wanted to make a game like Disgaea, where your stats could hit insane numbers.

Sarlecc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Think I will be able to do this for $game_variables. :)

Edit: Yes $game_variables can be displayed as scientific notation now in windows (should work with all windows that can use \V)! :D

Anyway, I never saw any game that use larger than 5 digits. So honestly. I have no interest to seeing this on status menu or in any menu or any HUD. Smaller number is easier to see and easier to balance. But it may be important to use in \V[n] since there's possibility that to use $game_variables in larger number.

It really depends on game type but I have played a few games that go past 1.0e+100. Generally speaking they are the same balance wise they just don't worry about digits past a certain point. Example: A game that limits you to 45,537 health with hits that do say 15,289 vs a game that limits you to 4.5e+10 hp and 1.5e+10 damage. In the high number example you would probably round all numbers that are greater than a certain amount till you only worry about the first two digits. This brings up another question I have though: would you want greater precision with the large numbers so 4.5e+10 would be say 4.55e+10 or 4.553e+10?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I have a really hard time keeping all these goodies secret til December... but I swear, it is worth the wait!
Working on a Premium version of my minimap plugin that will have advanced functionalities such as drawing a Terrain map based completely on the users tilesets, whatever they may be, and drawing minimap radar icons automatically based on texture of the event the note is applied to.
Psttt come look, this is the secret technique to tenderizing steaks, it makes it extra beefy. :rwink:

pixeldailyaxemeatsheild.gif
#screenshotsaturday update, featuring vaporwave angels lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoodieraady