Screen Size for a STEAM game

Guyon

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
What is the best screen size to make a Visual Novel, if you want to sell it on Steam?

Raizen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm doing a VN also, not using actual VN Maker, even though I bought it, instead RPG Maker, but I would say Full HD seems the best if you can, followed by HD keeping the 16:9 ratio, which is the default resolution of VN Maker.

Guyon

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So would you say 1280×720 (720p HD)?
1920×1080 sounds like it would make the game very big if you have a lot of backgrounds.

Thoughts on size?

l8rose

Perpetually Exhausted
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I haven't sold anything on Steam but a smaller resolution does mean the game will have the potential for a larger audience. Not only because of final game size but there are more people with resolutions other than 1920x1080 compared to those with it.

1280x720 is what I use but you can always look at the more popular Visual Novels and compare to help get a good idea if you're intending to go commercial.

Guyon

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I am starting to think 1280x720 is the number.
Is there a way to let the user change the screen rez in game?

l8rose

Perpetually Exhausted
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can adjust from one resolution to full screen (and back) through the Set/Get Game Data commands (Full Screen is one of the settings). I don't know of any command for any other resolutions.

It should be possible but you would probably need a plugin/coding for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Yaaay! My second public script is out and approved! A VX Ace Final Fantasy IX styled Throw Script!

I look forward to all the constructive feedback I get but most importantly I hope everyone who ends up using it enjoys!

Yaaaay! Making scripts is fun lol. :D
When you're lost out therrrrre and you're alllll alone, ahwahwah waitin, to carry you hooooommmme, uhhheverywhere you look! (someone hit me with those backing vocals)
X.X cant focus... too many thing want do... help!
Day 2 of teaching MV, student can move cat across the map.
Got inspired and started writing a simple tower defence battle system last night :o

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nwr