ladylannistarth

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi there RPG fans, I'm looking for some advice...

I'm currently spending some time figuring out the best way to handle screen sizes, upscaling and that side of things. My game will be a HD pure pixel art commercial game so I'm not prepared to accept anything less than wonderful. That means no pixel distortion or blurriness for folks who are playing on different size screens and those who prefer to play in window mode over full screen.

My game won't be on mobile, but with the new Steam Deck handheld coming out soon on Steam, it wouldn't be smart to only consider those who have a 1080p monitor or laptop.

I previously had my screen size set at 1920x1080 (with the Mush resolution options plugin for extra choices) and used a x2 zoom plugin, but now I'm rethinking this and considering setting the screen size to 960x540 and NOT having the zoom plugin. I've tested that and everything is half the size now, and much smaller than I want it to be for people who have larger screens, but when I press F4 for full screen, it double everything by x2 and looks pixel perfect, successfully achieving the same look I got from the x2 zoom plugin, which is great.

BUT not everyone I speak to likes to play in full screen, especially those who stream and want to be able to switch to different programs easily. Many prefer to play in windowed mode (but still with a full screen), so I want to give them the option to resize the window to their desired size.

I'm using SRD_Game Upgrade to allow people to do this but there is one huge problem... The pixels go VERY distorted when the window is resized. Obviously I don't want that to happen. Ideally I'd like the pixels to stay at their 1x size until the window reaches a certain size that will automatically upscale the pixels to 2x — giving the same pixel perfect look I have currently when in full screen, but in windowed.

Is there any way at all that I can achieve this? Maybe SRD_Game Upgrade does but I've missed an option somewhere? Or maybe it doesn't and there's another way I can achieve this. It be extremely grateful for anyone who knows a solution to this because it would make a lot of people very happy and improve the quality of my game tenfold for them.

Last edited:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Not possible to control on your end. What you see is why movie upscales and such have issues too. The only solution would be to make different versions at different resolutions (which is what most AAA games do), and let the player set the resolution in game and use that.

ladylannistarth

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah damn, well nothing is that easy, I guess. :D

I'm messing about with Mush's resolution plugin which allows different resolutions for the player to choose from in the options menu. It's great because it has an option to prevent the graphics from stretching and going all distorted. Instead it just hides tiles/crops the edges for the smaller resolutions options and keeps everything the same size, which is awesome.

Unfortunately though, when I do choose a larger resolution, it keeps everything at the x1 size which is too small when the resolution chosen is 1920x1080. If only it upscaled that resolution to x2 then it would be perfect. It's not an option for me to keep them at x1 for that size, the graphics are just too small, so I'm a little stuck now. I'm not sure what to do... maybe I'll have to return to using the x2 zoom plugin, but again, that makes things tricky because I want the x1 view to be available for those playing on smaller screens.

Anyone got any thoughts or worked around this with their own games?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hmmm...maybe code an option to select the smaller resolution and if that is picked it doesn't zoom and if the larger is picked it uses the 2x zoom? That's the best idea I got for this.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Too bad the Boss Battle Build Bout isn't also for VXAce.
I might not participate in the Boss Battle contest after all... I have more important things to do, like Wishful Wanda. And of course the Dark Deception spinoff I plan to pitch, Demon Slayer.
Changed my avatar, goodbye Alan Sugar, hello George Carlin (one of my favorite human beings ever)
If you still don't subscribe our Polish channel please consider it :)
1.png
Who wants to see my review of the worst star wars movie? This movie has all the excitement of being on Jury Duty of the most boring case ever about trade negotiations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wizard54