Zyphli

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looks Great @PsychicToaster. Ive been looking forward to your next update on it.

I think your lighting is fine. It shows that the scene is darker and the lights are lit without obscuring either the lit or dark areas.

Jesse - PVGames

Game and Graphics Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@PsychicToaster - This. Is. Awesome! Great work! Only a couple of minor things, which I am sure you already know, like the center roof tile being a little wonky due to the strange shape of the roof, but overall this is fantastic. The building itself is great, but you also did a great job with the environment surrounding it as well!

In regards to the dark scene - try setting your light layer to Overlay, it can get rid of that "foggy" effect when you just use semi-opaque color while still highlighting the area you want. Also, a yellowish hue might do well too for the candles!

PsychicToaster

Best Clairvoyant Appliance 2018
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Some more(not super great) lighting done in a few minutes with zero consideration for actual shadowing.

Zyphli

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Lighting - For me it is the bane of mapping. So often I feel like trying it actually makes a good map worse so rarely use it.

I can't say I'm a fan of your latest attempt with the bright light source that doesn't seem to actually shine any light into the rest of the room.

I feel like you need to cut away the darkness layer from most of the interior into a much more transparent layer. Just leaving the room with no light as is, then if you want to get fancy - fade darker down the two hallways with no lights.

I was going to upload what I've been trying to do as a comparison last night but every time I started to, Id go back and say "no, its still not right".

PsychicToaster

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I plan on just using Terrax or something because I can't stand lighting via drawing xD. Im bad at it

Jesse - PVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Just wanted to share this beautiful example with you, not made by me. It was made by Kaelan/RainbowP.
I am particularly intrigued by the UI work! Great job!

Jesse - PVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Looks like you're getting there! I do love that the giant one-eyed dragonthing is like... "can I come in, too?"

Paladin

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Just wanted to share this beautiful example with you, not made by me. It was made by Kaelan/RainbowP.
One question. How?..

How did he install option to change clothes and weapons? How did he changed whole UI? How did he changed battle, so it became so fantastic and not in the different battle screen?.. How?..

A magic? A lot of javascript code?..

PsychicToaster

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Holy COW yes they do. Wow! How hard is that plugin to use?

padr81

Guy whose game is taking too long.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
Holy COW yes they do. Wow! How hard is that plugin to use?
It's not really difficult but does take a little bit of time to get familiar with. Maybe an hour or two, if you download and play about with the demo.

PsychicToaster

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Curious if you can add a few more frames to the attack animations. If you can have like 8 frames and just play them at an increased rate then it will smooth out the animations. Been working in another engine and doing that, it works marvelously.

padr81

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
If you are using QSprite you can make animations as many frames as you like, I'm just not able to art well enough to add inbetween frames.

PsychicToaster

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Just duplicate each frame in the sequence. So the first frame you'll have two or three of, the same for the other two frames. Then play the animation a bit faster to cycle the extra frames. It'll smooth it out.

padr81

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
Just duplicate each frame in the sequence. So the first frame you'll have two or three of, the same for the other two frames. Then play the animation a bit faster to cycle the extra frames. It'll smooth it out.
Cheers dude, soon as I'm going back to my sprite editing I'll give it a try.

PsychicToaster

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think I have a nine frame attack animation played at 12 ish frames per second? I can't recall, but fiddle with the frames per second setting. It just fills in the gaps in the animation. It won't add any "between" frames to it, but it does create a pretty great optical illusion of more motion.

mardin

"...pretty please?"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses

Intrigued is not the right word...more like: How the **** have they done that!?

It's awesome to see what you can do with RPG MMV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Here's the graveyard area I'm currently working on for another small project! (This is actually an RPG and not a puzzle game for once)
In the strangest turn of events, my animations now live in the characters folder, and my character images now live in the pictures folder. It's a complicated world, but weirdly a more resource efficient one. :LZSexcite:
Did you know that we use robotic spy animals to learn about how different species behave in the wild? We're only a step away from robotic spy humans, and then Terminator. :p
Not being able to do a commission/request after all and having to give back the money is so heartbreaking.

Sometimes I'm just way too eager to help people out and suddenly find myself in a very deep hole because I'm not gonna be able to finish it. I really hope I don't come across as unprofessional to these people and in general. =n="

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AikoKurasu