Status
Not open for further replies.

DBee

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm working on eventing a title screen, but I can't find the script call for starting a new game in the script call database (mainly because I'm not sure what it's called). Loading and deleting saves and everything is going fine- just missing the new game script call.

Thank you!

Thedemonpit

Lord of the Formors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other

DBee

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I appreciate your response, but I actually already have those things- I'm using Himework's pre-title events and I have the save-sync for persistent data. Everything is already set up and working fine, I just need a script call that will start a new/fresh game- I already have a system in place for detecting and loading previous save games, etc. Just need something for new ones.

Thanks!

Edit- Unless you're suggesting I just have the title screen launch right into a new game? I mean, I guess if it doesn't make any difference? It feels like 'start new game' handles things like player start position and stuff in a nicer fashion.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think it might help if you explained what it is you are trying to do.

Can you tell us why the normal route of selecting New Game from the title screen does not work for what you want.
Under what circumstances would a player be choosing New Game except from the title screen?

Thedemonpit

Lord of the Formors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I appreciate your response, but I actually already have those things- I'm using Himework's pre-title events and I have the save-sync for persistent data. Everything is already set up and working fine, I just need a script call that will start a new/fresh game- I already have a system in place for detecting and loading previous save games, etc. Just need something for new ones.

Thanks!

Edit- Unless you're suggesting I just have the title screen launch right into a new game? I mean, I guess if it doesn't make any difference? It feels like 'start new game' handles things like player start position and stuff in a nicer fashion.
All you need is to use a event as your character while you start the real one invisible. Have the event with the character pic do what you need. Then fade out the screen with a player transfer. Have the player go univisible before/after you transfer the character and have the screen in. Since you can use the transfer command to place them in any direction you want it could prove to be versatile. Or is there something specific you are trying to nail that something like that can't?

DBee

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Can you tell us why the normal route of selecting New Game from the title screen does not work for what you want.

Because I'm eventing the title instead of using the built in default title scene, as I'm customizing it to my needs. I don't know javascript, so eventing is the route I'm most comfortable with to get the look and feel I want. I have a splash screen, a cutscene that plays if no previous save files are detected, a system to delete save files, access options and credits, a background image that changes depending on variables, etc- all through an event. I just didn't have something to prompt the 'start new game' the way the 'actual' title scene would. And I know that because it's an event I could just go directly into the game and not need the 'new game' option, but I was unsure what that'd do to the game data. I thought it'd better to use the methods that already existed in the system because it's already set up to handle it that way- plus then it would use what I've set up for player start position, etc.

That's why I was specifically asking for what the call for a new game would be.

At this point though I think this topic can be closed- after posting the question I kept looking for an answer on my own and I ended up replacing Himework's pre-title events plugin with this Title Screen Map plugin. It's not my ideal solution because I trust Hime's work a lot more in regard to things like avoiding conflicts, but this plugin has a command prompt for 'new game', which is what I was looking for.

Thanks for your time regardless. Apologies if I come off as snappy at all- it's not my intention, I've just been working on this all day and I tried my best not to let that frustration seep into this. I know everyone here works hard to help each other out and I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

New profile picture! This time, it's representative of my current project.
I suddenly feel like making a game for little kids: a pointless sandbox of cute animals, silly collectibles, and random mini games.
Anyone else just like, not bother to make games themed around specific holidays? I know I won't get them done in time for it to make sense.
time to enter the playtest dimension
Sherriff: This permit you're renewing expired two months ago, you haven't been concealing illegally have you?

Me, remembering the sheriff was at the range with me a couple weeks ago and unsure if he'd noted me draw from IWB: I plead the fifth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VuThanhLong