Script call to restrict player based on player location?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Tea's Jams, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Tea's Jams

Tea's Jams I'm human Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So, I searched the forums a bit and can't seem to find the right answer (although I'm positive it's buried somewhere in here... sigh)

Anyway, I would like to use a plugin that breaks Yanfly's region restrict. I'm hoping to do something to resolve the issue it creates for a game that already has hundreds... if not thousands of doodads.

I would like to use a player location parallel event (I need no help with that, I got it working great) and (I'm assuming) a script call to restrict player movement when they touch a certain region, only within that region.

So if my player is walking around the map, I want to block access to all tiles with region 4 (for example) over them.

Alternately, I would also like to allow passibility based on a specific region in the same fashion (obviously a different script call though, haha)

Is this possible?

P.S. Using just the vanilla move route I can make the player go back a step when touching the region, but it just looks and feels weird.

2. SwiftSign

SwiftSign Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Tea's Jams likes this.
  3. Tea's Jams

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you very much for that. I may have to try that if no script call exists. Also I wonder, if this plugin breaks region restrictions, would it also break common events? I don't know.

I am hoping that if there is a script call that works for this though, that someone sees this thread and tells me. I like to avoid using plugins wherever possible.

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    there is no such script call - can't be due to the way computers process data.
    the only thing you could do is the same as used with the other plugins: redirecting the move check to a plugin and modifying it. but that requires a programming override by plugin, it can't be done with a simple script call.

because basically, when a move command is given the computer checks if the next tile in that direction is passable or not. That is a series of data checks based on map and current position, and you could redirect that to add your own additional checks. but a script call can't change this series...

Tea's Jams likes this.
  5. Tea's Jams

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ok, thank you so much for that clear and comprehensive answer, I really appreciate it. :)