Script for auto-changing keyboard controls

Discussion in 'RGSS2 Script Requests' started by narabuster, Aug 9, 2015.

1. narabuster

narabuster Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    So I'm making that a game that is almost near completion, and I have set specific controls for the player in order to prevent awkward controls. Here is a screenshot that shows the controls intended for the finalized game:

[​IMG]

Problem:

When I playtest the game, the controls that I have set using F1 work on the computer that I'm playtesting on. But when I take the project files over to another computer, the controls that I have set reset back to their default. Sure, I can use F1 to change the controls again, but that would just seem detrimental to one of my players for the game and it would ruin some the intro sequence I have set for the player. I resolved to use a script in order to allow the game to change the controls to fit the image above, without having the player to do so.

This didn't turn out so well. There is a script that allows the game to auto-change the controls by an external script: HimeWork's "Full Input Keyboard" script. Sadly, that script is in RGSS3. Here is the link to that script:

http://himeworks.com/2013/07/full-input-keyboard/

After some extensive searching, I haven't found an RGSS2 equivalent of the script. There is Glitchfinder's Key Input Module, but that's only for checking pressed keys, not changing them. Even more unfortunate is the fact that I know very little RGSS2. 

Request:

I want a script (in RGSS2) that changes the controls the developer intended for automatically, instead of having the player press F1 and doing that all by themselves. In terms of reaching out to a wider audience, I also want part of this script to be edited so that the script will change the controls into what the player has asked for in the script (For example: the player changes part of the script in order to make the S key the D button on the keyboard). Having comments on the script that explain on changing the settings would be greatly appreciated.

Alternatively, one can also convert Zalerinian's Keyboard Manager (written in RGSS3) into RGSS2, as that would also fulfill my request.

That script can be found here: https://adrarian.wordpress.com/2014/03/11/keyboard-manager/ 

Why Should You Make This?

There aren't a lot of people who use RPG Maker VX extensively (because let's face it; VX Ace is better). This script would prevent any new players of the RMVX to change the controls manually while playtesting on multiple computers, as it would be a nuisance to gameplay and disturb what RMVX games have to offer. It will allow for the developer and the player to get a win-win. Of course, anyone who does make this script will be credited in whatever RMVX games that would need this.

Any help is appreciated.  :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2015
  2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's not that easy, because you're forgetting the reason for that configuration option:

What will you do to compensate for international keyboard layout?

For example, there are a lot of countries where the Z key is in the middle of the keyboard, rather difficult to use (Z and Y are exchanged). Same is for several other keys depending on the country.

3. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    The config options for RM is tied on the computer, and is actually shared by all RM games of that engine played on that computer... You could always use a keyboard script that has the config on the script rather than relying on RM's config but make sure to have some way of modifying it from the user side because configs exist for a reason, like the scenario that Andar said above.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2015
  4. narabuster

narabuster Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I assume this is a keyboard you're talking about:

[​IMG]

If that's the case, then one can substitute the Z button for the Y button. Using a keyboard script with configuration (like what Adiktuzmiko mentioned above) is a script that I'm looking for (sorry if I wasn't clear enough on that request). This way, international users can set the controls in the script in a way that feels comfortable to them.

I knew that it wouldn't be easy; I'm just trying to see if there is some way that it can be done by those who are good with RGSS2.

The config options for RM is tied on the computer, and is actually shared by all RM games of that engine played on that computer... You could always use a keyboard script that has the config on the script rather than relying on RM's config but make sure to have some way of modifying it from the user side because configs exist for a reason, like the scenario that Andar said above.

That's pretty much what I'm looking for, but all the keyboard scripts that I've found are in RGSS3. It's really frustrating to see that most of the scripts that have potential in other engines are in RGSS3. 

Here are some of the scripts that don't work:

HimeWork's Full Input Keyboard: http://himeworks.com/redirect.php?type=script&name=Full_Input     

Zalerinian's Keyboard Manager: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/24868-rgss3-keyboard-manager/

Fomar0153's Keyboard Module: http://pastebin.com/Q6Y1tW2z

If someone can even convert HimeWork's or Zalerinian's scripts into RGSS2, that would work just as well.

Thanks.