aminiczilch

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
ENGLISH
Primarily Uses
Hi guys, new here :D

I was wondering. Does anyone there know how to make a script that will display the "controls" in the lower right corner of the screen at all times. Like press ESC for menu and those sort... THANKS :D

DangerSushi

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
italian
Primarily Uses
You can do this with ''Show Picture'' command i think ! I dont know if you really need a script for this.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You can do this with a picture - however, you will only be able to display the default controls.  If the player changes the controls with F1, your picture will be wrong.  Using a script instead of a picture won't help, either, unless you go through extraordinarily complicated measures to detect the player's F1 keyboard settings.

MeowFace

Meow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meowish
Primarily Uses
Last edited by a moderator:

Sixth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
... unless you go through extraordinarily complicated measures to detect the player's F1 keyboard settings.
Unless you ditch that whole F1 button altogether and disable it with a script. Best option, in my opinion, those Fxx buttons should have never existed to begin with. >.>

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Unless you ditch that whole F1 button altogether and disable it with a script. Best option, in my opinion, those Fxx buttons should have never existed to begin with. >.>
But then how do you change the keyboard settings if you live in a country where the important keys are in a different location?
I remember some DOS-shooters where you used Z for shoot and X for bomb. They could have been fun - if I didn't have a German QWERTZ keyboard that has YX at bottom left instead of ZX...

Sixth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The default buttons are made for gamepads anyway, not for keyboards. At least I get that impression with all the button combinations they did (Z+Enter+Space, all do the same things, etc).

It's a terrible input system, to be honest.

Once that F1 button is disabled, it's not really hard to make a custom in-game scene for button configuration (no idea why isn't this a built-in, default scene/feature).

I made one for my project, and I was surprised how easy it is to make one.

Maybe I will extract my game specific stuffs from that script and share it when I get some free time. I bet many people would love to use a script like that.

MeowFace

Meow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meowish
Primarily Uses
What OP needs is a way to show the user what key to press.

It doesn't really matter what the keys are changed by the end-user.

The keys that are shown will always be A B C X Y Z L R.

[IMG]http://s8.postimg.org/yatmf4vqt/Config.png[/IMG]

If the end-user changed those keys, they should know where to refer those back in the F1 setting.

Sixth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Those signs (A, B, C, X, etc) don't mean anything to a keyboard user.

There is nothing more annoying in a tutorial/guide section of the game than to see some irrelevant symbols instead of proper keyboard letters. It is confusing for sure.

If the OP would want it for gamepad stuff, he/she wouldn't write "ESC" for the example, right?

If he/she wants this for keyboard instructions, yet use those symbols instead of keyboard buttons, I can only advise against doing such a thing.

MeowFace

Meow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meowish
Primarily Uses
Not only RM games, but a lot of games out there are doing this. So i am not going to argue about the "effectiveness" here.

The trick is as simple as how you are going to display them on the screen.

Eg. using buttons and text

[IMG]http://s1.postimg.org/ijj282nxb/Inputs.png[/IMG]

Press [A] button(default key: Shift) to run.

Default keyboard users will know the key right away. If they did changed the key, they will know where to find the references like what i said above.

Aoi Ninami

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Why would they know? The game never tells you that F1 is the "configure settings" key. I didn't know that until just now :p

MeowFace

Meow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meowish
Primarily Uses
Why would they know? The game never tells you that F1 is the "configure settings" key. I didn't know that until just now :p
The exact reason why the OP wants a tutorial guide for his/her users. ;)

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I understand where you're coming from, but in my eyes the best approach would have been to accept all (standard) keys as input, convert the keyboard/gamepad inputs to symbol inputs in Ruby, and include functions for returning the key(s) currently bound to a given symbol.

Apparently, there is a way to figure out what the player has done with the F1 settings, but it's more complicated than it would need to be if Ace had used a better approach for handling input.

aminiczilch

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
ENGLISH
Primarily Uses
Thank you guys. Your comments are really helpful :D THANKS VERY MUCH!!!

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You are very welcome. :)

aminiczilch

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
ENGLISH
Primarily Uses
Not only RM games, but a lot of games out there are doing this. So i am not going to argue about the "effectiveness" here.

The trick is as simple as how you are going to display them on the screen.

Eg. using buttons and text

Press [A] button(default key: Shift) to run.

Default keyboard users will know the key right away. If they did changed the key, they will know where to find the references like what i said above.
Hi sir, need help.. so I installed this script... https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17484996/scripts/cdr-guide-1.0.rb

[IMG]http://www.imageurlhost.com/images/2nrxtcpwuochc8tgkzvl.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://www.imageurlhost.com/images/w547vu9rwqrlxe7pxaa.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://www.imageurlhost.com/images/1rwt3g1j4ar4elmvda.jpg[/IMG]

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
"Tutorial" is not a number, and that script needs a number in its command.

And you cannot choose a random number either, it need the number you assigned when you wrote that tutorial as part of the script.

I suggest you follow the link "how to use a script" from my signature, because you missed several points of that.

MeowFace

Meow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meowish
Primarily Uses
Hi sir, need help.. 
The script calls enable a pre-set tutorial in the script.

Check out the part GUIDE_DATA in the script and you can set it up with the examples there.

This script call will later enable the tutorial in the list.

GuideManager.enable(x) where x is the id number you set up in the GUIDE_DATA

there's already 3 examples of id 1 2 and 3.

so eg.

GuideManager.enable(1) will guide the users to the status scene.

It works like an emulator with key pressing and message displaying. So you can set up the keys to work automatically in your tutorial and explain it with text.

Edit:

If you wish to use the icons in your text.

eg

You will need to add them to the IconSet.png in Graphics\System in your game folder

The original copy can be extracted from the rpg maker editor or found in your RTP folder.

then in the script message making part in GUIDE_DATA:

[:msg, "This will show the icon \\I[12]" ]where 12 is the icon index number.

aminiczilch

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
ENGLISH
Primarily Uses
The script calls enable a pre-set tutorial in the script.

Check out the part GUIDE_DATA in the script and you can set it up with the examples there.

This script call will later enable the tutorial in the list.

GuideManager.enable(x) where x is the id number you set up in the GUIDE_DATA

there's already 3 examples of id 1 2 and 3.

so eg.

GuideManager.enable(1) will guide the users to the status scene.

It works like an emulator with key pressing and message displaying. So you can set up the keys to work automatically in your tutorial and explain it with text.

Edit:

If you wish to use the icons in your text.

eg

You will need to add them to the IconSet.png in Graphics\System in your game folder

The original copy can be extracted from the rpg maker editor or found in your RTP folder.

then in the script message making part in GUIDE_DATA:

[:msg, "This will show the icon \\I[12]" ]where 12 is the icon index number.
So based from the script. what should I type at the command to enable battle, shop and etc. I did GuideManager.enable(1) but the screen just froze

MeowFace

Meow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meowish
Primarily Uses
So based from the script. what should I type at the command to enable battle, shop and etc. I did GuideManager.enable(1) but the screen just froze
It shouldn't freeze, unless something isn't set up right.

Just did a test with the script and it works. But need to setup the mock party thoroughly.

The easiest will be comment out the mock party line in GUIDE_DATA.

add # in front of

:party => 1,in the script.

eg

:party => 1,This will run the tutorial in current party without the need to set up the mock party.

Edit:

Or in the mock party part:

#=============================================================================  # MOCK_PARTY_DATA  #=============================================================================     # Here is the list of fake parties for guide purposes. It can be realy useful  # if your guide depends on the selection of a specific party member, or a  # specific party state, like certain item available on top of the item list,  # a member with depleted HP or high TP. After the guide stops, the original  # party will be automatically restored as it was. The dictionary key is for  # reference only, but must be unique for each mock party.  MOCK_PARTY_DATA = {     1 => { # Optional, the party member's ids            :members => [1,2],            # Optional, the weapons on the party inventory            :weapon => [# [id, quantity]                          [1,1]                        ],            # Optional, the armor's id's on the party inventory            :armor => [# [id, quantity]                         [1,1],                         [2,1]                      ],            # Optional, the item's id's on the party inventory            :item => [# [id, quantity]                        [1,2]                      ],            # Optional, the party gold amount            :gold => 1000,            # Actor setup, here you can define default values for each actor            :setup => [              # [actor_id, {options}]              [1, {:hp => 100, :tp => 20, :mp => 20}],              [2, {:hp => 150}],            ]          }, #end of example mock party  }#end of mock party data
change actor id 11,12 to 1,2 both on the top and the end of mock party settings.

the script return in error because it can't find actor 11 & 12, so you will need to change that to make it works.

Edit again:

Misread a part in the script.

GuideManager.enable(1) will only enable the tutorial to be access from the guide scene. so the user can re-peat them any time at their own pace.

to have it automated.

you will need to turn on a game switch with the same id.

eg.

game switch 1 will turn on game status tutorial. means it will automatically run when you enter a status scene.

game switch 2 will turn on battle

game switch 3 will turn on shop

to use automated feature, you will need to turn off the switch after the tutorial or it will repeat over and over again.

add this to the end of each tutorial you will be building.

[:sw, 3, false]where 3 is the switch/tutorial id

[IMG]http://s10.postimg.org/z6hf9nhfd/Untitled_1.png[/IMG]

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Hey everyone! No Studio Blue RPG Maker Critiques Stream today! But you can always check the playlist for old streams you've missed!

I ran out of paper sheets to draw, so I guess I'm forced to do digital for a while now...
x778xt8.jpg

Still haven0t found a colouring style that I like :kaoswt:
woods.pngshop.jpgboss.jpgRoom.png

Mapping is becoming so much easier!
FirestormNeos wrote on Neikoku's profile.
the cat in your profile picture is adorable
Are the default-size "chibi" sprites really a bad thing for a project? I'm not planning to sell my game anyway but I was wondering if they were as hated as some videos seem to claim...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GalertyEarth