Script to access word doc or notepad file in-game

Jello

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello,

I'm new to the forum.  I develop games using RPG Maker VX Ace and RPG Maker MV for fun outside of work.  I work on different IT-Projects, non-programming based, at my job.  I am a complete Java Script novice, and still in the processing of learning.  I have searched through Google trying to find a script that would allow me to pull up word documents or notepad files in-game.  My plan is to take our training/new hire guide and use RPG Maker to replicate our Data Center in the game.  And when you access the terminal/computer you are sitting at, you can access the different documents that are stored within that shared folder.  Sort of like just using the game as a GUI to access those training documents.  It would be much easier to have a script that would allow me to access these documents in-game, rather than have to retype them all into a journal/notepad in game.  Think anyone might be able to help with this?  Thanks!

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
You want the game to just open them (meaning the program makes it open on Word for example) or make the game show it inside the game window?

Jello

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I wanted to be able to boot up the game like normal.  And when the character goes to a computer and hits the action button.  I want to be able to pull up a menu where you can select different Word Documents.  Our training material that we use here at work.  Like for example, the character walks up to the computer, you press the action button, It pulls up a menu in-game.  It has different options like, "Common Abend Codes", "WDC Unit Sorter Wave SOP".  If you were to select one of those, it would pull up the Word Document in-game or outside of the game.  Either one works.  Not sure if it's actually possible.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
It would be easy to make it open outside of the game I think (well on Ace it was just a simple call to the system to open any external file or program)... 

Try this one if it works

require("child_process").exec('youApp').unref();

just change youApp to the path of your word file

Jello

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'll test it out this week or next week when I finally get the time to sit down and work on it.  Thanks Adiktuzmiko!

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You wouldn't be able to make it open up a Word document in-game, because of all the extra crud that MS puts into its word documents for the formatting and settings.  You could probably make it open up a plain text document and show the text in the game window, but not Word.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Oh, stop with the Melodrama...

...Listen to it instead!

anybody else like getting baked whilst coding?

When you go to the beach watch out for coconuts. Coconuts are more dangerous than sharks. Fact.
Try to get into pixelart again, so far its a sucess.
Also finally found a useful pixeltutorial which helps a lot.
♫ Anyone knows an ant can't move a rubber tree plant, but he's got high hopes, he's got high hopes, he's got high apple pie in the sky hopes ♫

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gundu