Scripting problem

Discussion in 'RGSS Script Requests' started by Ryptide, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Ryptide

Ryptide Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    ok so I want to make a better combat system than the original why, is it not user friendly to design a combat system?

Idea(1v1 turned based combat like pokemon with typing dictating the damage flow)

what is the best way to do it, and how should I focus my combat system..

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Your profile says you're using IGM, so can you just confirm that you ARE asking this question about RPG Maker XP (which is the forum you posted in - still the wrong place as you're asking about scripting)

You need you have a script for that. I suggest you look through the Master Script List (if you're actually making your game in Ace), or do a search for Pokémon scripts for XP.

3. Ryptide

Ryptide Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    yeah the igm thing was just a trial tried it once and that was it. very impractical for me. I make better sidescrollers with basic256 than igm.

I mostly use rpgmaker xp but I started with rpgmaker 2k3, and vx ace feels like a down grade and I don't understand why...

Reason I use rmxp is to build  a place-holding demo for my game, since I have no money to hire a team yet but I need to finish that demo.

Im supposed to be using rgss on xp but I have never played with those kinds of scripts and some of my features probably don't have a script for it yet.

so I kinda need some help with scripts.

4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So you're looking for a script that changes the battle engine, and you're using XP.

I'll move your post to XP Script Requests then.

But google RPG Maker XP Battle Script and see what comes up while you're waiting. Most people here use Ace, and the Master Script Lists only contains Ace scripts so won't be of much help to you.

5. Ryptide

Ryptide Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    should I google rgss then? because every xp script search I make bring me to ace scripts...

6. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Really? When I google "battle rmxp script" I only get xp scripts.

7. Ryptide

Ryptide Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I often get confused maybe I over typed...

Ok so script requests is where this post was supposed to be? so hard to navigate forum ....

ok so the script I need for a battle script should have similar elements to pokemon with a few differences

1. the defence reduces damage to 1hp (and allows a second action such as using an item, swapping monster or leaving the battle.)

2. the attack function is separate from the skills. so your monsters can have normal attacks or elemental skills.

3. at the end there should be a choice (be a streaming water, be neutral or be nice). which will be different from trainer battles and wild battles.

I wonder if that makes better....

8. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    There's a Pokémon kit out there. Maybe you can edit their battle script? I've never worked with it, so I don't know how easy it is, but it's better than nothing right.

9. Ryptide

Ryptide Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    yeah I think its called pokemon essentials but I don't want to use their graphics... and im wondering how to make my battle script since rgss is still hard for me to grasp.

1. turn 1 check agility(either player agi>enmy agi or enemy agi>player)

2. then selection phase (player selects action before his turn ends)

3.if enemy is faster then player gets attacked first otherwise enemy takes damage first.

4. damage calculations factoring (attack+typing mod)-(defense+typing mod)= total damage taken.

back to initiative phase.

then its mostly adapting it to my stat system god knows how...

10. Ryptide

Ryptide Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    sorry for double post but... where in the main script is that battle system?

11. MobiusXVI

MobiusXVI Game Maker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    If you're looking to create a custom battle script either from scratch or by modifying the Pokemon Essentials, then you'll need to get a solid understanding of RGSS. Making large changes to battle flow, damage formulas, etc is generally not easy to do. It's also not something that someone can just walk you through how to do either.

If - on the other hand - you're wanting someone to do most of this work for you, then you might be better off bringing a dedicated scripter into your project since you seem to have so many requirements. The "Project Recruitment" forum would be a good place for that.

12. Ryptide

Ryptide Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    ok sure thing... but im looking for a scripter with commitment so... that might be hard to come by.

13. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Ryptide, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

If you need to add something, simply edit your previous post.

If, as you say, rgss is still hard for you to grasp, then forget about doing your own battle system - battle systems are among the hardest things to do, and are not something that a beginner should think of tackling.

Picking up slimmmeiske2's suggestion - can you not change the graphics that you don't want to use?  All you'll be using is the script there, not everything else.

14. Ryptide

Ryptide Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    sorry about that didn't mean to post I had internet lag.