Scrolling Laggy for Tile Sizes other than 48x48

MikeMakes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
- Through using Shaz's Change Tile Size plugin for 32x32 tiles on a 70x30 map, the scrolling feels laggy/choppy.

- I turned off that plugin and all other 3rd party ones and set the tile size in rpg_objects.js to 32x32 and still have this problem.

- I think the engine itself doesn't correctly calculate for smooth scrolling for tile sizes other than 48x48.

Anyone else have this problem of laggy scrolling for different tile sizes?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are lag issues, but they're not due to using different tile sizes.  There is a big thread on lagging.

Does any of that sound like what you're talking about?  If you disable the plugin and go back to 48x48, does the problem go away?

MikeMakes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@If you disable the plugin and go back to 48x48, does the problem go away? 

- Yes it does.

No Problems with smooth scrolling:

----------------------------------------------------

Option 1: Disabled only that Change Tile Size plugin for 48x48 default.

Option 2: Disabled all 3rd party plugins for 48x48 default.

Option 3: Enabled only Change Tile Size plugin for 48x48 (not 32x32) *Therefore, it may not be the plugin's problem.

Problems with laggy scrolling:

----------------------------------------------------

Option 1: Enabled Change Tile Size plugin for 32x32. 16x16 is like this, too.

Option 2: Disabled all 3rd party plugins and went into rpg_objects.js to change the tilesize to 32 x 32. (This does work like the Plugin, except without feature of having in game tile files from another folder). Scrolling lags occurs the same way as enabling the Change Tile Size plugin for 32 x 32.

The Engine might not be calculating something correctly to adjust for scrolling at different tile sizes other than 48x48.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
oh - you don't have the plugin in there twice, do you?

Can you give me a screenshot of your Plugin Manager screen, as well as a screenshot of the Change Tile Size plugin screen showing its settings?

MikeMakes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Also, the player sprite walks slower when the tileset is not 48x48 (when 32x32 in the Change Tile Size plugin or changed in rpg_objects.js).

I don't have both the Change Tile Size and rpg_objects.js with the tile set to 32x32 both at the same time. It's either one only. I did this to see if the problem was the plugin or the engine.

EDIT:

*** Possible Solution?

I changed both the tileHeight and tileWidth to 32 in rpg_objects.js (Gamemap) and rpg_core.js (Tilemap) and it seems to run much smoother.

I also turned on the Change Tile Size plugin for 32x32 and going into rpg_core.js to change tileHeight and tileWidth to 32 and it also runs much smoother. (rpg_objects.js was unmodified.)

In both cases, there still seem to be a only a bit jitter in the scrolling left, especially for holding down arrow to walk. The scrolling w/ screen edge detection may need to be somehow modified.

I don't really know how the Change Tile Size Plugin was designed, but it seems to modify the Gamemap tile size only, but not the Tilemap size as well, which may be causing the scroll lag.

*** STEPS (Please make backup before performing changes as doing the following may cause errors in some other parts of the engine.)

1. Turn on Change Tile Size plugin and make appropriate settings (e.g. set up tile size and folders )

2. Go into game folder -> go to js folder -> open up rpg_core.js

3. Look for: tileWidth and tileHeight and change the 48  numbers to your desire tile size (e.g. set both to 32)

this._tileWidth = 48;
    this._tileHeight = 48;

4. Save.

JAD94

The lunar knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you, this helped a lot. It's still a little choppy but it's a huge improvement   :)

MikeMakes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yeah, a little choppy for me, too, still yet. What size are you using?

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I originally had both changed, but that caused other issues, and I discovered the Tilemap ones didn't need to be changed at all.  However I'll experiment some more - it may be that the issues I experienced when changing both of them were actually due to something else.

MikeMakes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
May I ask what were those issues? I suspect some screen scroll refresher calculation might also be involved.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
mmm ... you're asking me to go too far back now, I'm afraid.  I did that plugin a few weeks ago - maybe a month ago, and I had a lot of different issues as I tested and changed a lot of different things.

Sophitia

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
At 72x72, the fix seems to work perfectly but I'd have to test it more to be sure. Thank you for your efforts!

MikeMakes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Try test it on fullscreen because I have a bit choppiness left there. I almost don't experience it when it's not fullscreen.

Sophitia

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Try test it on fullscreen because I have a bit choppiness left there. I almost don't experience it when it's not fullscreen.
Even on 1920x1080 fullscreen I'm not experiencing any choppiness that I can see. Although none of my maps are especially detailed yet.

JAD94

The lunar knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Also, the player sprite walks slower when the tileset is not 48x48 (when 32x32 in the Change Tile Size plugin or changed in rpg_objects.js).

I don't have both the Change Tile Size and rpg_objects.js with the tile set to 32x32 both at the same time. It's either one only. I did this to see if the problem was the plugin or the engine.

EDIT:

*** Possible Solution?

I changed both the tileHeight and tileWidth to 32 in rpg_objects.js (Gamemap) and rpg_core.js (Tilemap) and it seems to run much smoother.

I also turned on the Change Tile Size plugin for 32x32 and going into rpg_core.js to change tileHeight and tileWidth to 32 and it also runs much smoother. (rpg_objects.js was unmodified.)

In both cases, there still seem to be a only a bit jitter in the scrolling left, especially for holding down arrow to walk. The scrolling w/ screen edge detection may need to be somehow modified.

I don't really know how the Change Tile Size Plugin was designed, but it seems to modify the Gamemap tile size only, but not the Tilemap size as well, which may be causing the scroll lag.

*** STEPS (Please make backup before performing changes as doing the following may cause errors in some other parts of the engine.)

1. Turn on Change Tile Size plugin and make appropriate settings (e.g. set up tile size and folders )

2. Go into game folder -> go to js folder -> open up rpg_core.js

3. Look for: tileWidth and tileHeight and change the 48  numbers to your desire tile size (e.g. set both to 32)

this._tileWidth = 48;

this._tileHeight = 48;

4. Save.
Yeah, a little choppy for me, too, still yet. What size are you using?
It's still a little choppy as you said, but very very slight. I'm also using 32 x 32. 

MikeMakes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yeah, it's very slight. I haven't found the way to completely get rid of the choppiness, but it seems to be apparent mostly on fullscreen.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I believe there is still an issue we are waiting to be fixed for lag on full screen. Do you have water tiles?

MikeMakes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yes, full screen is a bit slower and has that slight choppines when scrolling compared to the normal start up size.

No water tiles and no autotiles. No events. Just 4 pieces of B star tiles / no tiles tested with / without Change Tilesize plugin with other plugins disabled.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Made another map, this one even has a cool moving waterfall. I'll have an animated GIF later whenever I'm done adding stuff. :LZSwink:
Back here again?! RPG MAKER, I can't quit you. :kaosigh:
um... why didn't anyone tell how easy it is to add motions to Sideview battlers? I literally copied the last one, changed the name and index, said where it should play, and boom... I've got intro motions.
Lately when I listen to 1970s songs, I always think that the "real world" is still at mid 70s. What we experience now is a futuristic dream. With this point of view, even 80s and 90s looks super futuristic. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kubet88net