Perpetual Toil
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hiya!

This has been a long-term search I've been on to find some way to scroll text up the screen outside of show text.

I know there are plugins that allow you to have text show up and come and go here or there without player input, but those do not offer the ability to move the text around once it's on the screen.

What I'm ultimately looking for is an upwards scroll much like old-school text MUDS. I keep having this suspicion that a plugin for this already exists but darned if I've been able to find it in over 5 years ;)

If anyone has any leads, I'd be very grateful! :LZSgrin: :LZSjoy: :LZSgrin:

SGHarlekin

Orc Jester
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I mean... Depending on what you want to do with this scrolling text exactly, you could just save the text as png and move it around however you please.

cuby

Perpetual Toil
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

It's a good thought, and one of the first things I tried :) Alas, no go.

I mean... Depending on what you want to do with this scrolling text exactly, you could just save the text as png and move it around however you please.

Right, that's always the last-ditch option. But for how I'd be using it, we'd be talking an absolutely monumental amount of work. That's why I'm trying to exhaust all available text options before I jump down that bottomeless pit.

SGHarlekin

Orc Jester
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Might help to describe what the heck you plan on doing with a scrolling text that requires any amount of work? Just curious at this point lol.

cuby

Perpetual Toil
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Might help to describe what the heck you plan on doing with a scrolling text that requires any amount of work? Just curious at this point lol.

Sure thing --

In old MUDs, which were like text-only MMORPGs, the text for battle would scroll up the screen as battle progressed.

So you could have it show up as "You hit Ant very hard!" Then after a few frames, that would move up the screen and you'd see "Ant hit you SUPER hard!"

And the text would scroll up the screen like that. I'm exploring a battle system that overlays text over the screen in this fashion. It's too bad no one seems to have a solution for it quite yet, but I understand why, it's not exactly a widespread feature request :LZSgrin:

SGHarlekin

Orc Jester
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Maybe try playing around with the battle log? Those messages to exist there, maybe you can work it out to have the log displayed in that way?
Yep_Action sequences have some functionality with the battle log. Maybe that can do something for ya.

As I'm not a scripter, I can only think of creating some form of system via common events perhaps....

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

MaryFaces.png
Finally drew a face for my character Triple M, aka, Mary Mars McQueen. She's only ever had the TV thing on here head for her wrestling gimmick.
I have a screenshot from my Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild fan remake:
screenshot.png
I wish I'd been able to take a photo of the kittens at work. I love working at the pet shop... also those kittens just wanted my attention all day, but I had to stock the cat food and stick stickers on pet beds.
Of course, I did make some time for those sweet little kitties. They just wouldn't stop meowing!
Slightly late due to PC issues, but come and join me for Throwback Thursday! Tonight we'll be continuing Beneath a Steel Sky. https://twitch.tv/trihanstreams

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimsoncrimes