sanguine1038

Clueless Enby
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
hey i was wondering if theres anyway to find common events through some kind of event searcher or plugin to see if it's unused. i have a project that i know has unused common events although im not sure specifically which ones or how many.

am i gonna have to search through each event to see or is there an easier way?

Kaszdev

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
hey i was wondering if theres anyway to find common events through some kind of event searcher or plugin to see if it's unused. i have a project that i know has unused common events although im not sure specifically which ones or how many.

am i gonna have to search through each event to see or is there an easier way?
Atleast in MZ you can use ctrl+f to search anything, I don't know if in mv it's the same.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
There is a way, but it's a bit complex. You'd need to open the data files in a text editor and do a search for the "call common event" code in a command parameter object. The good thing is they use a specific format so it's not *hard* to search for them as long as you know what the codes are.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Atleast in MZ you can use ctrl+f to search anything
When I boot up MZ and press Ctrl+F, nothing happens.

If I click on the Event Searcher tool, it only searches map events like in MV, it doesn't do anything to help you find where you called a common event.

Can you explain how you're using this to find references to common events? Which screen?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It depends on what the common event does.

in case of autorun/parallel process those are always activated by a specific switch, so you can use the build-in searcher to find if those switches are used in events. It won't work if the switches are used by javascript, but that would be a rather strange construct that is unlikely to exist as a plugin has better methods for handling things than controlling CEs.

in case of a called common event there is Trihan's solution above - which is anything but easy to handle as you need to know how the data is stored.

In case of attached common events (attached to skills that is) you can either go through the database skill by skill, or you can do the equivalent of the text search described above for the skill database.
But in that case the codes for attached common events are different than the ones for called common events...

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I've actually been considering writing an app that searches data files for things like this.

Kaszdev

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
When I boot up MZ and press Ctrl+F, nothing happens.

If I click on the Event Searcher tool, it only searches map events like in MV, it doesn't do anything to help you find where you called a common event.

Can you explain how you're using this to find references to common events? Which screen?
I missunderstood the question, I thought he wanted some shortcut to search trought common events in the editor.

Vis_Mage

Wisp Charmer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's a pretty handy plugin that can help out with this, Shaz's Cross Reference Tool.

This plugin adds an option to your title screen, that allows you to see exactly where each Switch, Variable, Actor, Class, Skill, Item, Weapon, Armor, Animation, Enemy, Troop, State, and Common Event is referenced all throughout your game. It's incredibly helpful.

The only thing to keep in mind is that it won't detect any of these that are either referenced by a plugin itself, or if it's referenced in a plugin command/script call.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

no longer using rm2k3
Don't you hate when you're trying to sleep and suddenly the smoke detector needs batteries? That's exactly what happened to me. Now I'm sluggish and tired after that darn thing started chirping at 11:30 at night. Man I wish I had one of those smart smoke detectors that sends a message to your phone way before it starts chirping.
Interior of a bus, may do more vehicle interiors :kaoswt2:
1670089782219.png
I can hardly believe it is the third day of Christmas and I have yet to put up decorations! Spending my morning cooking breakfast and getting them up.
https://itch.io/s/83641/1-week-sale Do you want a Roguelike game like a turn-based Hades? Get Zodiac Hunters now while it's on sale!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danone_Adventures