Season Pass DLC4: Kids Released

Discussion in 'Product Announcements and Sales' started by Archeia, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM

If you can pm them to me, I can probably arrange something that will make it shareable on all season pass 4 dlc holders. But are you also planning to edit the child SV/TV/TVD parts? Cuz that's a lot @_@

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2016
  2. mara_vertin

mara_vertin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Archeia Oh, that would be really cool!  :D Just give me some days and I will do what I can. The face parts are quite difficult to edit (at least for me) but the rest should work fine (even though it's pretty much content).

3. M.I.A.

M.I.A. Goofball Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @mara_vertin & @Archeia, I'm not very proficient with editing graphics, but if I can help in any way, please let me know! :)

-Mia

4. mara_vertin

mara_vertin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @MiacuroThank you very much! It's not that unlikely that you will hear me cry fo help... :D

5. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow! I am so glad to hear that this is out. Pardon but how can I get this dlc separately on Steam? It says in the Season pass that it will be priced at $10 but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

6. beliziam

beliziam Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Germany
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Right now you can only get it with the season pass. Only DLC 1 can be purchased separately at the moment. 

7. chalkdust

chalkdust Resource Staff Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Great work, everyone!

8. Alexander Amnell

Alexander Amnell Jaded Optimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    For the first time I regret not having MV through steam, didn't care a lick about any of the previous 3 dlc, but I'd buy the pass right now if steam would let me for the last one alone.

9. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Everyone has MV on steam, because the key for the standalone doubles as a key for activating MV on steam.

And if you wait a few months, DLC 4 will become available without season pass (they have promised to release all four parts independently after a time, but currently only the first two parts are available independently, the second part was released one or two months back).

Alexander Amnell likes this.
  10. Banjo

Banjo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I hate Steam with a passion, but the sale prices for VX Ace and MV last year were just too good to pass up. Wish I had it and VX Ace DRM-free, but at least I own them now after years of using 95/2000/2003/XP (and these new makers are glorious!).

I'm with the other posters here, though, who didn't care about the other season pass stuff at all, especially for the price (it wasn't on sale when the other content was, or if it was at a very slight reduction) but now really want the kids generator parts.

IMO, this should really have been a standalone DLC as it is pretty "essential" after the "Kids" section was added to the generator and I'm sure lots of folks who didn't care about the "season pass" (that term alone makes my stomach churn a bit, thanks to console games in the last few years!) stuff like music or a few sprites would buy this in a heartbeat. As long as it's fairly priced, though, I'll pick it up when it is released as a stand-alone, or else if/when the season pass goes on sale.

To be quite honest, I am surprised there haven't been a string of DLC releases of generator parts for VXA or MV, as it seems like a no-brainer for paid little DLCs (i.e. tilesets and music are dime-a-dozen, but generator parts take a lot of work to make, aren't popular to make, yet allow total beginners to create new stuff with ease and are best if adhering to the original official style so they match what already exists).

11. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    This is not meant to be negative but an explanation :kaoswt:

If you're an artist, you would understand why almost nobody enjoys making generator parts. Everything has to be compatible and natural things/organic things don't tend to follow a rigid pattern. It might work for this body type but it certainly won't work on another body type. There's alot of modular experimentation involved and that is time consuming. The end result ends up looking 'fake' or 'plastic.' For an artist this is really disconcerting.

Add insult to injury is drawing in another artist's style if they don't even like it in the first place OR not using a style you developed for years. All artists have 'bad habits' and if you work with another artist's style that tend to have certain bad habits, you too, will also gain this bad habit. And it's not a very easy thing to remove. And one of them happens to be anatomy, color theory and so on. For example, RMMV's color palette is really, really bright with very little contrast or HSL variation (aka monochrome shades). Especially if you compare it with RMVX/VXA art style. Here's a visual example as to how color variation adds depth:

[​IMG][​IMG]

While it makes sense for Generator purposes (Especially since MV uses gradient mapping), this is problematic for some of us that do value knowledge we retained for years. Mass producing that kind of art style will eventually start taking a toll on your artistic abilities and sensibilities.

Imagine it like this, you have perfect English, but you spent a day or worse a week talking with people who would pronounce Fs with Ps. You will notice eventually it will start bothering you and you will start adapting that issue too. It's almost the exact thing with art except make it have some form of permanency. Everytime you pick colors now, your knowledge defaults as to how RMMV did it because you mass produced over 100 parts for it. What great practice you had before disappeared and now you have to spend the same amount of time, if not more, to recover that sensibility.

If you're not an artist or don't really care about these things and/or just want to make a game, it might not be a problem to just keeping edits and whatnot. But for content creators, it's a risk and a struggle.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    M.I.A. likes this.
  12. Jomarcenter

Jomarcenter jomarcenter-MJM Veteran

First Language:
    ENGLISH
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It there any plans for the kid generator to be available on GCH: PE for free to Season pass holder. Since I used it to mass generate random character for games and such. They already find a way to make it DLCcross-purchase to both version of CGH, So it should be the same if CGH can detect if I already own the season pass or the standalone DLC.

Edit: Auto-emote (much worst than auto-correct)

13. Banjo

Banjo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yup, that's why I presumed that very few users create Generator parts. Certainly I can see that an average user wants to make their *own* game in their own style, and will either do their own art, commission an artist, or use existing assets. As both a commercial writer and amateur artist, I know how much extra work it is to have to emulate someone else's style, especially if it needs to be flawless.

I am talking about the company behind RPG Maker themselves (Kadokawa) making Generator part DLC, though, not average users or third-party semi-official DLC artists. RPG Maker is a commercial product, and while some of the best resources over the many years of these makers have come from "fans", it is only recently that the company themselves have been making a big deal of releasing paid resources ("DLC"). Since Kadokawa is a business, I wouldn't expect them to care that making Generator parts is less enjoyable than making, say, a new sprite set... whichever one sells better would be the one to make and sell, surely?

Precisely *because* most users or even third-party artists (who charge for tilesets, etc.) don't make Generator parts is just why I am so surprised Kadokawa doesn't leverage them as paid addon content... the Generator seems a ready-made way to do this (for better or worse); compare it to video games who charge for new player costumes, reskins, etc.

NOTE: this isn't me saying "gah, people should make Generator parts!" but rather "I'm surprised Kadokawa treats the Generator as a bit of an afterthought rather than a steady source of DLC income post-maker release".

Maybe it's a good thing? In this day and age of DLC "nickle-and-diming", the fact a company didn't take an obvious route of charging $1.99 a piece for two new hairstyles or sets of eyebrows is probably a positive! :)

14. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    @Banjo I dunno if you know but, the people who created the kids part DLC are @marimo @palladinthug @whtdragon @Personigo de la Ĉefo and I. While KADOKAWA certainly can ask ENTACL to create more parts, it also depends on their availability as a company.

15. MobileSuitSonic

MobileSuitSonic Mod Magnet Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I wonder if there's a way just to get the kid parts. I'm kinda sheepish about buying stuff for just one thing and nothing else.

16. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    It will be as a separate DLC in the future.

Studio Blue and broda like this.
  17. Alexander Amnell

Alexander Amnell Jaded Optimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @MobileSuitSonic If you can be patient then yes you will but I wasn't and have to say being able to make child npcs alone is easily worth the price. It's a very nice addition since there are never enough child resources out there as most games don't find children to be a necessity in their worlds.

18. MobileSuitSonic

MobileSuitSonic Mod Magnet Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I guess it's the same with adult NPCs with me: I need people who don't look like they're the adventuring type, but that's the MO of the character generator.

19. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's because they have to try to appeal to the broadest audience. And since traditionally most games are about groups of people going on adventures - that's what they cater to.

20. Poupouille

Poupouille Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian, french
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What will be the next season pass? Someone knows?