RMMV Seaweed

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Jaded, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Jaded

Jaded Jaded from Seaweed village Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My spell checker! I know you wanted more contractions but once you play the game you will see they start out a bit formal and as they get to know each other the contractions happen :p

And since it is my first game, please do let me know what you think! There is a readme you should glance through! Dont expect an epic in this demo, it is just to test my learning and game style. I plan to learn and practice cut scenes and all that good stuff for the full game! Ah, and there is only 1 quest in this demo as I do not want to give the game away :p

Thank you so much for being an alpha tester and I will test yours when it is done too!

2. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    im gonna try this out ang give feedback. didnt read anything about the game. want to go in blind

Edit: couldnt open the file. my computer tried to open it with internet explorer >.<

Jaded likes this.
  3. Jaded

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Edit: I think there is a credit page that it turned into a www file... should be the game one just a few under that one... That is the only other thing I could think why... thanks again!

thank you so much! It really will help me as this is my first game! I will test yours when needed!! thanks!!

Does this work?? I am so sorry, using drop box and a 7zip file, it has 2 folders, one is readme and other is game I guess...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e532losbbs5ipnp/Seaweed Demo.7z?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e532losbbs5ipnp/Seaweed Demo.7z?dl=0

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  4. Jaded

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Woot, got my intro made, yeah! It is not super epic but I think it introduces the girls in a way that makes you want to meet them. The girls seem to start out transparent, not sure why that happens but also makes it kind of cute too, so don't matter for this one but if anyone knows why that happened let me know! I think I did have "start transparent" checked at one point but turned it off again.

I am figuring out how to do cut scenes, so will get a few of those in place for the finished demo. but I don't think I will add in more quests as i want that to be new and you don't know what is happening really...

I am excited still and think it is coming along very well!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  5. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    OOOOOoooooook. Were to start. I think i'll start with the positives before i give my constructive critisism

1. For a game that feels very "first project-ish" the maps are surprisingly decently designed. Although NPC's sometimes get in the way
    2. The BGM you use for inside some buildings is my favorite if the MV befault music. Love the atmosphere it gives
    3. It caught my attention enough to at the very least, give it a chance

Now for the constructive critisism
    With the heystack in the nomad town that gives potions, you didn't set the self-switch for after the player takes the potion to make the event go to a new page. As a result, a player can essintally get infinite potions, which takes some of the challange, and as a result, some of the fun out of the game

Speaking of challange, the battles arn't very fun. Triple attack and double attack don't cost any resources and one-hit KO all the random battles that pop up. making a non existent difficulty that makes kirby games look like dark souls. I found a "boss fight"? in the nomad town and was able to KO the boss in one hit with tripple attack

Some of the NPC's i talked to while exploring the first town sent me north of town, which was frustrating sense i hadn't explored the whole town yet

I'll stop here, sense it will probably make my post WAY too long if i posted every single thing about this game that needs improvment. Though over-all. A decent attempt at a first game. 6/10

Jaded likes this.
  6. Jaded

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

thanks for the feedback, I so need it!!

I haven't explored musics yet, I am trying to decide what kinds I want for each area.

I know about the potion cheat and it will have a purpose, I want to keep a count of how often it is used... there are a few places I left it like this... But I might just switch it to once... my plan was to have it effect quests and how easy they are to complete...

Oh man, for the players, I created their weapons and forgot to add stats to them, lol!! So kept upping their skills and stuff trying to get them to do damage and don't know how to reset them to original ... The double and triple are not supposed to show until later levels (though the kid gets it from the start as she is more advanced level then the rest who start at level 1).

Yeah, everyone has commented on that about being sent to the Nomad camp... Before I knew what I was doing I created the maps and put everything as if they whole team is together. I did not feel like going over the whole game and adding in the check if whole team is here for each thing since I had done a lot. I figured it would be much easier to force the player to get the team before leaving to the coast. I heard it would be better to go and change every thing then force it, but call me lazy :p Basically everything from the coast on assumes the whole team is with you... That should definitely be added and drummed into you hard in the starting tutorials!! :p assume from start and add checks from beginning!

It was more to see if you liked the characters and if I created them individual enough to keep interest. I have the quests planned and wonder if the books and titles give hints that make you wonder if you can guess them. I had only the 1 quest in it, to get you to the north to get the team. I have more stories and quests planned for the main game... I just needed to know if the girls were interesting enough to make you want to play the finished game :p

Some of my questions for you:

Did you think the changing names was fun and goofy or annoying?

Did I over do decorating the outside of the towns? They are premade maps that I decorated.

I heard it is annoying how often you are bounced around, once the quests are in it wont be so annoying, but it is a deal breaker?

Feel free to post everything, as my first game, I really want to know what is good and what needs to change!!

thanks so much for playing it and letting me know!!

Did you have a fav character? Are they interesting enough to keep or should I work on improving their personalities more?

if you need play testing, let me know, or if I can help you out somehow!

7. xoferew

xoferew Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I just played this for a few minutes so I know there's a lot I didn't get to see yet, but I already have some suggestions. ^_^ These are just my humble opinions -- I'm certainly no game making expert.

I am impressed with all the care and detail in the descriptions and dialog; I can tell you've really thought about characterization and relationship. I wish more games were like that!

There are plenty of graphical glitches that work against the believable immersive world you are working so hard on. The walls in the home should all be the same height and if cliffs are level at the top they should be level at the bottom as well. I can step on the cat as if it's not there and the chicken is walking everywhere. I get that chickens can do that, but it breaks the 3D illusion if it walks in a straight line across a roof, through a fence, and onto the beach. Turn "Through" off and give it a custom route if you want it to go on the roof.

I love all the text you have. I think you could put the player more in the driver's seat with exploration though. For example, with a book that's going to tell a whole story, ask first if the player wants to "Reread this old favorite?" or whatever. Then the player either skips it OR enjoys it without wondering impatiently how long it is going to continue. For brief descriptions of food etc. you could put the code in the text box that makes the text go away after a second so the player doesn't have to click away the box each time. Again, you want to support the player at their own curiosity level rather than make them wonder "How many of these things will I have to click on?" Finally, I'm sure you know which characters say important things for the plot and which ones are more for background color, but players will not hang on each word. So when I got transferred to another map or another part of the same map I didn't know why I had moved, where I was, or what I was supposed to do. Slow down here and give a choice: "Do I want to go to X and look for Y right now?" That lets the player have agency and also signals to them this is an important plot point. If you must *warp* to the new location have at least a fadeout and a text: "This is X and I just hurried here because Y" or something.

I know you want to show off certain things in this demo but I strongly suggest letting the player savor the game and go at their own pace rather than rushing them along to look at the next thing and the next like a tour guide who's behind schedule. Give decisions over to the player where you can. Let it be a game. ^_^

Anyway, hope I didn't sound harsh. It's got great potential and these are all easy changes that don't require deep knowledge of how RPG Maker works or anything. Trust your work to shine because it will, and trust the players to explore it.

Jaded likes this.
  8. Jaded

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Oh thanks, I really appreciate feedback!

where you start has lots of things to look at/read but once out it gets a lot better. Since that was her home I made everything noted in some way. I heard to switch it all to action button instead of player so the player can click or not on stuff, but I liked it being pop up I guess.

Yeah, it was premade maps that I began decorating without really knowing what I was doing, you can really tell in some places!

I have already fixed where the chickens and pets can go, that happens when you click "through" on them so they dont block the player. I fixed it but it will be in the finished demo. I first thought that R page was to add coloration to the maps so was going through the first town adding tones of browns to the roads, blues to the waters and stuff, sheesh, newbies right!! :p

That is a good point, when I first did the game I forgot about if the whole party is together or not and wrote everything as if they were with you. Once I realized I would have to change every single thing I decided to force the player to get the girls quickly :p

I can add a fade/explanation though because it was brought up by others too that they were not sure what happened to send them to another part... The only forced part is getting the girls before exploring much because I was too lazy to change it all and add a check to see if they were with you or not... The guy that sends you has a second one that sends you directly to the camp to get the rest of the girls. But that is my laziness not wanting to change every thing so will stay in this one, but I know now to do checks right from the start!!

I truly prefer some brutal honesty that will improve my games, so no worries!!

I think at the Nomad camp there is the description that is automatic in all maps the first visit, but then the girls and then a "jump scare" i wanted to see if it would work like I hoped :p so it can seem a bit much! But other places just have the auto description that are short.

I do like that suggestion to ask if they want to read it now or not. The stories are foreshadows or to make the person playing guess that it foreshadows at least :p I hoped to make them curious... I also watched a video there is a plug in that lets you keep a record of stuff so hope to find that soon! I cant remember if it is quests and conversations or if I need to find 2 plug ins, but I will get it figured out!

Please do let me know more if you play more of it! There are a lot of goofy things in the game, like changing names, silly conversations with npcs and so on, hopefully not too much though!

edited in:
    just read where you said to put a code in the text that makes it disappear on it's own, where is that tutorial??

And please let me know if you need me to playtest or something for you!!

9. xoferew

xoferew Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    When your mouse hovers over the text box it gives options like adding \|\^ at the end of your text. That would cause the text box to wait one second and then go away on its own. You can tinker with those options and see what you like.

Jaded likes this.
  10. Jaded

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I fixed the book choice and the wall heights! Thanks, it really helps because I get blind to stuff since I tell myself "I can fix it later, dont worry, dont panic!" thanks again, I do appreciate the feedback!

11. xoferew

xoferew Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Don't get me wrong, a lot of the stuff I mentioned isn't "broken." I'm just speaking from my perspective as a player who likes choices and likes to feel like I'm driving the pace of the story.

What I often do is play through my game with a word processor document open and every single thing that seems less than perfect I type a note right that moment. No pressure to fix it then and no worries about forgetting to fix it later because I have a (50 page) list. ^_^ (Of course that doesn't help with all the issues I don't notice! )

Jaded likes this.
  12. Jaded

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I forget where now but read to play your game often and see if you actually enjoy playing it, so doing that but then I want to add a ton of stuff in too :p

Yeah, I have a ton of things I plan to "fix", lol. Did my intro and got it working right, so phew! Well, they start transparent but it is a cute effect so I dont mind, but hopefully will figure out how I did it so i dont do it next time! I did briefly turn on start transparent but turned it off again... it must be my switches I guess! I will figure it out though!

Next on my list is to learn to do a cut scene and pick one chat to do to test the effect of my style!

The rest I plan to do for the main game, adding in all the quests, fixing my battle stats since i got them way out of whack when I did not realize at first I forgot to add stats to the weapons I created for them :p Kept upping them so they are 1 hit wonders, sigh!! I will figure that out and maybe figure out that battle system thing, it look cool! So much to learn but fun and interesting too!

edit in: I am having my spell checker check the stories I wrote but there might be some dialogue i added and forgot to have checked so any mistakes are all mine and not my spellcheckers :p

Oh yeah, so got the intro, fixed some things people mentioned and am about ready to do the final demo version. If anyone has more constructive criticism, it is most welcome! It wont hurt my feelings but will make my game better so go for it! thanks, Jaded

I need to figure out how to make the scrolling text appear darker in some areas... besides that I think the demo is ready, woot!

the pic isn't how the school will look it was decorated for the intro to make it look more magic school then high school...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  13. Jaded

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My spell checker is busy so I am waiting on her correcting the stories for me before releasing the final demo. I am so excited to get the actual quests in now and will most likely be on here asking "Is there a tutorial to..."

I think the quests will be interesting enough to make you wonder if each one is a clue or if you are missing something you are supposed to see...

I have been playing the game and seeing how it is without the quests, I know what will happen but am wondering if it will be boring with just the girls talking... yikes!

How do you deal with doubts? For me, I tell myself it is my first game and I purposely did not use the games I have planned so they dont get messed up. So no pressure for it to be perfect! :p It is fun to create a brand new idea too!

I included the intro image though this will not be the actual school look. I just did it to mainly create a magic school vibe for the intro :p

Attached Files:

14. Jaded

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I hope you enjoy it and I cant wait for you to see it with quests!