Event Secret Santa 2018 aka the IGMC Review Trade Thread

Yato

(aka Racheal)
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
It's been a while since I've written a review, but why not. I would like to sign up (assuming non-rpg maker games are okay. I think I saw at least one unity game?) My entry is here.

mobiusclimber

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My review is up of Almanac is up. I'm down to be in the next group. Thanks!

Tuomo L

Oldbie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I finished my review, posted on the page and sharing here too

Super cute game. Not much I can say about it , there's some very minor problems and tweaks that are honestly very nitpicky things about presentation such as when a character meets another they say "Look a people!" and stuff like that. The music, the art, it's all top notch.

Sadly game play had some issues, it took me very long time to clear the Sludge Rats part because the rats kept moving into wrong direction. There's also passability errors like the tree underneath the station doesn't let you walk underneath it like other trees. Trees have many passability problems in general, you can walk on top of the tree trunks, while some don't let you walk underneath the leaf parts even. At the intro, you see all characters walk out of sight into the right but when you get to play, you are back to where they began to walk as if the whole walking part never happened. Sometimes characters who are supposed to be highlighted during dialogue don't get highlighted and everyone remains dark.

The main character has no personality. The friends are always talking but the main character is totally silent. I don't even remember her name or if it was ever mentioned since the other girls talk all the time and handle all talking. If the main character is literally mute, it wasn't mentioned anywhere but otherwise, they should say something.

Overall, it has potential and with polish in these small issues it could become really great.

RetroExcellent

Pixelated Avatar of Chaos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You will have to take me out. My laptop just died.

CodeineRx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I am still up for my game to be reviewed and to review another game. :D

Chez

TheLastYuriSamurai
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I posted my review on their page and am ready for another game to review!

Punamaagi

Hero on their own terms
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Apologies for the delay! I have finally finished my review for the Isekai Anthology (by @Mrs_Allykat ). I posted the review in the game's itch.io page, but in case this forum feels like a more convenient place to read it, here's a copy of what I wrote:

Making a game which takes inspiration from the "stuck in another world" genre isn't something I would have run often into, at least when it comes to RPG Maker games. Therefore Isekai Anthology felt both refreshing and amusing to play, especially since it doesn't take itself too seriously (I chuckled a little at the main character's hopes for more character development).
The story and premise for the game are relatively light - become a legendary manager and make sure that the café produces enough money so that isn't closed down - but provides a sound basis the combination of different game elements: gathering, crafting, combat and exploration. The story is partly told with comics, which is quite an interesting idea and goes with the anime/manga-esque genre, and I found the characters to be quite amusing and in a way "tastefully cliché": not too overdone but yet recognisable stereotypes from the genre.

One of my favourite things in the game was its mapping. Both indoor and outdoor maps are not overly large yet not too small, either, and thanks to good decoration, they look pleasing and are interesting to explore. I also liked how the gathering and crafting system had been implemented to the game: as the UI clearly shows which objects are harvestable, there is little need for blindly clicking on every cave decoration etc., and the crafting system was simple enough not to become a chore yet offered a nice variety of craftable items (and ways to obtain the ingredients). All in all, I found the café management part to be a nice addition to the typical JRPG dungeon crawling and battles, and it could be interesting to see how that aspect develops further in the future versions.

If there was one aspect of the game which I didn't enjoy, it was combat. Most of the battles felt too easy and could be solved by spamming the Attack button because the enemies hit for very little damage; the only exception for this were the ghosts with the Thunder spell. The worst offenders are probably the bees: they usually come in large packs, do 1-10 points of damage but also require 2-3 hits to defeat, which means that the battles can last a couple of minutes but offer little to no challenge.
While the addition of elemental weakness system adds a bit more tactical depth into the battles, there didn't seem to be any other way to discover an enemy's weakness besides blindly trying everything, and I found it confusing how different level (and colour) enemies could have different weaknesses.

Part of the criticism towards battle system can probably be explained with the game's other flaw, namely lack of polish. The game had some minor bugs, glitches and typos, and for instance, Hiroto's skills seemed to be straight copies of the default Hero class skills whereas the other characters had custom skill sequences for their spells.
The lack of polish is somewhat understandable due to the creator becoming ill during the contest period, however, and most of the bugs should be quite easy to fix.

Unfortunately due to real-life complications I was unable to play through the game more than once, but I spent a couple of hours running around and trying out various things. In the end, I feel like the demo shows promise. If combat is developed further and various small tweaks are done after the IGMC contest period is over, I feel that Isekai Anthology could become a very interesting game, especially to fans of the genre.

Pros:
+ relatively unique and amusing idea for an RPG Maker game
+ good mapping
+ crafting system which is simple enough but not dull
+ creative way of telling the story via comics

Cons:
- tedious combat
- lack of polish

Final verdict: 3/5 - While I might not be able to unconditionally recommend the game due to my issues with the combat system and such, I found it amusing and had mostly fun playing it. Hopefully it will be developed further!

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello all! I've been on vacation so haven't been able to post assignments for a little while. I plan to do one last round with all who have signed up soon, provided interest still exists. Post any requests within the next 24 hours and I'll do the final round sometime New Years Day in the evening, my time zone.

KayZaman

Brother-Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English & Malay
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have no game to be test. Gimme a game to test.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

This forum is a great source of procrastination for me.
Today I read "The mouth speaks what the heart is full of." Simple, and reminds me I have a ton of work to do.
Why are cats so darn cute when their tongues are sticking out? If I did that, it wouldn't have the same effect.
The joy when you see a notification, the down when it's just a unnecessary quote of one of your posts again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mybriguy