Seeking advice and guidance for multi-phase boss fights!

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Luozcurator, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Luozcurator

Luozcurator Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Like the title says I'm seeking advice and guidance for multiple phases boss fights for my first game!

I wish to make a game that focuses mainly on boss fights. This means that they need to be more elaborate to fill the holes that lack of puzzles and dungeons left.

To make battles less static I designed “on paper” to have a multiple phases which the player would have to adapt to. Ex: A flunky boss ditches his goons and starts hulking out once below 50%.

The problem is that this was “on paper”.

When trying to apply it the game I quickly smashed head first into a wall. I’m not sure if it’s my inexperience or the software itself but I find it really limiting. Only allowing me to heal, change states, and transform enemies.

To try simulating the multiple phases I had in mind giving the boss an invincible state and making them transform and heal once it’s HP is depleted and use switches to control to which phase of the fight transforms. It didn’t work. It kept transforming from phase 1 to phase 2 and from phase to it keep transforming to phase 2.

Am I doing something wrong? What are your tricks to have multiple phases? Can you point me to another threat that already discussed this? Good tutorial videos?

I have other questions like how to call reinforcements (I know of a plugin) and how to create states that equal death (¿Petrification anyone?). But those are questions for another day.

For your time and attention, thank you.

2. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    are you using a conditional branch to control the transformation?
    if so, maybe the order in which you ask the conditions is important.

3. Anarcho-paladin

Anarcho-paladin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    For the state = death, you may be able to do so by using the "can't move" limitation, though it might not suit you for what you want to do.

Also, about your main question, though not directly related to your issue, Yanfly's Battle BGM COntrol plugin might give you some hint, maybe in the video tutorial: http://yanfly.moe/2017/04/14/yep-132-battle-bgm-control-rpg-maker-mv/.

Sorry I can't be more of help.

4. Luozcurator

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Right! The conditional branch! I always forget it! Yeah, it may work better than separating the transformations in other pages!

5. Luozcurator

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I tried that for the petrification, but it didn't work. It needs something more, because it came out like all the party being paralyzed rather than out right dead.

6. Anarcho-paladin

Anarcho-paladin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Hummm... Then, I remember seeing something here, somewhere on the forum, that explained you had to go lunatic to do something like that... Ha, yeah, I remember it was about capturing/surrendering enemies; you can find it here: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/surrender-arrest-enemies.99921/#post-898702. As I don't know how to program, though, I can't be of any help to you if you dare adventure in those strange territories we call programming languages syntax (intentional trying to sound scary)... Sorry.

Edit: Some (normal people) language syntax corrections.