Seeking experienced RMMV maker to mentor me

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by ShapeshiftIdentity, Jun 7, 2018.

1. ShapeshiftIdentity

ShapeshiftIdentity Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Firstly, I apologize if I am posting this thread on the wrong board!

I am brand new to RPGMaker software, and I have decided to create a game using RMMV. I have solid ideas and a clear outline for a game that I want to create, with a pretty good idea of how things would conceptually work. The problem is, I have no idea how to actually code all of the things that I want in my game. I also don't know how to word what I want to have my game do correctly enough to search the forums. Even when I start a thread, the responses of how to execute the idea in question are filled with even more things I don't actually know how to do or understand.

I am looking for someone who would be willing to mentor me. Specifically, someone who wouldn't mind endless questions about how to work the RMMV software or code things the way I would want. I recognize that this may be a large undertaking, and although I don't have much money I am willing to compensate someone for their time and expertise. Again, I already have a solid idea of what I want to do, I just need to learn how to do it. I am willing to learn javascript as well.

I apologize if this is something that is frowned upon to advertise here or if offering payment is not allowed on this site- again, I am completely new to RPGMaker and its forums.

If interested, please message me via these forums or through my email: <snip>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2018
    Frogboy likes this.
  2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No, I don't have time to mentor anyone - but I once wrote a tutorial exactly for people in your position.

Follow the link to the "starting point" in my signature and work through the tutorials linked there - that might take a few weeks, but it is one of the shortest ways to the basics of all RPG-Makers.

Frogboy likes this.
  3. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Hi @ShapeshiftIdentity , welcome to the forums.

I've deleted your e-mail from your post, to prevent spambots from sending you mails instead.

I personally think you'll be helped faster by posting any questions you have here in the forum, than relying on one mentor to answer them for you. Reading/Watching tutorials is also a great idea. Since mentorship is timeconsuming, the chances of actually finding someone is slim.

We do have a paid section, but that's only available until you become a veteran (= have 30 posts). You can read up on that here.

Frogboy likes this.
  4. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    One thing I'd recommend is working through all the tutorials and see what the engine can do in the default form. From there, ask yourself if the engine will work for your game? As it is, there are a few things that I'd recommend *not* trying to do in a first (or maybe even second) project:

-Multiplayer of any sort. While MV can be coded for it, multiplayer is really trickty. So tricky I have yet to see a completed plug-in for it and the engine has been out for 2.5 years now.
    -A massive battle system change. Those take forever to code, and unless you are experienced in JavaScript I'd stay away from that and make the default turn based system work for you somehow.
    -Any kind of open world game like the Skyrims and such. Way too many variables and switches to keep track of for a beginner. I say this as I had an idea for a game like that...ended up pushing it off to the side until I have a project or two done.
    -Your dream project. Best wait on this until you have a few games down, else you will be like me and still working on it 4 years later.

Frogboy likes this.
  5. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I learned MV in a rather ... awkward way.

I picked a game I liked and reverse engineered it. Looking at the codes on how something was done and so on.
    Once I got the hang of of it, it was a simple a matter of implementing ideas.

Frogboy likes this.
  6. Olra

Olra Global Derp Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Can't mentor. Sort of new to it as well.

7. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I would like to second the recommendation that you work through the Starting Point for New Users in Andar's signature. There is a lot of excellent stuff there, including links to 2 playable tutorials, one on the Event Command Menu, and one on Switches and Variables. Being interactive most people learn more, and more quickly, than just reading or watching tutorials. If you get a firm grip on those 2 essential elements of game making, you will have really solid foundations.

8. Prescott

Prescott argggghhh Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you ever need any help, shoot me a PM. I've been using RPG Maker for over a decade and have been using MV since it was released. There are plenty of people here that are willing to help though so reading up on beginner tutorials and asking questions is certainly not frowned upon!

9. Zarsla

Zarsla Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'd love to help. I'm good with very small pieces of code. And I'm good with mechanics and eventing. Before jumping into to finding/looking at coding, see what you can do with the system at hand. I've made a banking system, including having interest, a day/night system, and a basic stat upgrading system, all only with events.

Though as others have said start off with Andar's Starting Point for new users.