Seeking fellow rpg maker novices interested in collaborating

Discussion in 'Project Recruitment' started by Roasty, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Roasty

Roasty Villager Member

Hi all,

Just wondering are there any other relative novice game-makers out there who would love to team up and work on an as-of-yet undetermined experimental project but, like me, feel that they would be a little too under skilled (at this point in time) to work alongside more seasoned community members?

If so, I would love to hear from you. I really want to get a project going myself and had considered posting in the recruitment forum previously but felt that if I I did I would either a) not be a desirable colleague to work with owing to my relative inexperience; and/or b ) find myself way out of my depth working with people who are far more skilled than I and would not have the patience to persevere with me.

So in essence I am just feeling out some fellow 'novices' to see if any would be willing to collaborate on a project so as to help us become better game makers.

I mean I'm by no means 'bad' at rpg maker. I just feel my skills lie primarily in story writing and gameplay ideas (which I am very good at) but that I lack the technical nous to fully articulate these ideas into an actual game.

If anyone else feels similar then maybe this could be a starting point for an amateur project which we can decide upon ourselves and work away on at our own pace, and that would help serve a a learning curve for us to more advanced game development in the future.

Apologies of course if this is in the wrong forum. I had probably posted a thread to this effect in the general discussion forum (fearing that my lack of a concrete project rendered it inappropriate for the recruitment forum) but was helpfully instructed to look here instead.

Anyone interested please feel free to PM me!

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2016
    Tom1, Demore, Darthneko and 1 other person like this.
  2. S_Rank_Crazy

S_Rank_Crazy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey hey!

I'm fairly new (back) on the RM scene, and I'm always looking for something to work on, though I guess that's the problem with being a programmer - there's always something you want to do. Got a background in OOP in Actionscript 3 (Flash), C#, PHP and have been learning a bit of JS to feel out how it fits in with MV's plugin environment. Got a few game ideas but nothing flesh-out beyond "I really like that as a setting" or "that'd be a cool character to find in a game"...

</ramble>

So yea, depending on what you're requirements are for time and communication I'm up for it. I can generally spare a couple of hours a day on weekdays. Would be nice to have an actual project as opposed to just tinkering with stuff (currently working out some plugin ideas).

Holla at ya boy!

Edit: Although I'm nowhere near being any form of artist, I do plan on learning how to parallax map, so that might be useful. Maybe. I make no promises. :D

I make games for a living, so I'm pretty confident I could throw some functionality tests together, given more time looking at the engine and such (my next task is to look at putting together custom scenes and windows).

Questions

Any other particulars skills you're looking for? I assume an artist of some sort is somewhere near the top of the list.

Any preference for which RM you might want to use? I have MV and VXA but never actually did anything with VXA - Ruby just looks like a hot mess - but it couldn't hurt to have another language under the belt.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2016
  3. PAC918

PAC918 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    This is me as well.

I'm interested in teaming with a group to make a game. I am currently working in MV on a mainly solo project (my 12 and 9 year old daughters are "helping" me). 

4. Beedoe

Beedoe Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I can't really help with the technical aspects of game making but I'd be interested in a collab :)

Right now I'm working on making all of the music, sound effects, and concept art for my game. I'm only starting to actually create the game once I'm finished with that, and I figured I'd learn the technical skills necessary along the way.

But yeah, character design, story-writing, composing, sound effects, concept art (characters mostly, I'm only now getting started on backgrounds), and I can (kinda) do pixel art character bases.

5. SKGaming

SKGaming The Hidden Member

First Language:
    English
    I would like to work on this project as well. But, I have one question: which program do you use? I am willing to use any, but I only have VX Ace, MV, and 2003. 

I have more experience with VX Ace than I do in the others, but I still have good knowledge of MV and 2k3. 

The main reason I would like to help with this project is so that I may become better at using these programs myself, while still helping others. 

Thank you for your time.

PAC918 likes this.
  6. Tanarex

Tanarex Scrub Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I am also in the same boat.  I am more of a storyteller then a programmer.  Right now I could use someone that can make new tilesets for vx ace. After that pretty much every other skill set under the sun. 

7. S_Rank_Crazy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I wonder if we can get a full team together. Looks like we've got writers, a composer, coders... Seems like if we were a team we'd be using outside graphical resources (RTP and others'). Though I guess if anyone here has any projects already on the go and want a hand we could jump on that.

8. Tanarex

Tanarex Scrub Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I have a project. It's still on ace and about 15% done. I could use help with pretty much everything. But tilesets mostly.

9. Beedoe

Beedoe Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Yeah, I'm not interested in working on a game using the in-game characters/graphics. Those games are a dime a dozen xD

10. S_Rank_Crazy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Can't ague with that. Was really just a statement on the lack of artists.

Not sure if I can help out there; I've got VXA but have had no exposure to Ruby before. Have had a brief look at the syntax and it looks pretty different from my usual suspects.

11. Beedoe

Beedoe Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Right, well what I'm doing with my own project is using RPG assets as placeholder graphics, then once everything else is complete and I feel the game has promise, I will probably hire a sprite artist. Depending on how large the game is, the same could be done here :o

12. S_Rank_Crazy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Seems like a good way to get a project started without having the visuals be a bottleneck.

13. Beedoe

Beedoe Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Well, maybe we could make a skype group or google doc to discuss possible ideas and go from there.

14. S_Rank_Crazy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sounds like a good shout if everyone's still up for it.

15. Roasty

Roasty Villager Member

Hi everybody!

Apologies for the delay in getting back to this thread. I'm pleased with the response and looks like there are a lot of eager novice game-makers out there! I've been discussing with a few others via PM and there are currently about 4 or 5 people on board for a nascent project. We have a story idea and some basic gameplay ideas also and would love to hear suggestions from a few more people on everything from story to art to scripting. If anyone else wants to be added to the conversation group let me know. Would really like to hear your thoughts and suggestions, and would be delighted if anyone wants to come aboard and help us out!  :)

Roasty

16. S_Rank_Crazy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You can count me in

17. Tanarex

Tanarex Scrub Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Let's hope that you don't run into the same problem with a placeholder graphic I did. I just played a game where this guy used  the default 'actor' I was using as my main character. The problem wasn't that the character was gay. It was that he made him into an obnoxious stereotype that would setback gay rights by about 50 years.

18. Beedoe

Beedoe Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I'm in :p

Well I won't run into that problem, because the point of a "placeholder" graphic is to hold the place of what you're actually going to use, so that you can begin making the game before you have all the final art assets. I'm not using a single pre-made graphic for my game.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2016
  19. Zakary93

Zakary93 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hey,

I'm not sure if I would have the time (finishing up my last semester of college) but would love to hear ideas back and forth. This semester should be a little lighter though (only 12 credits). I am familiar with Ace and getting used to MV right now (mostly the plugin system). Always come up with ideas and mechanics that I think are cool or are not used as much as I think they should be. Can help on story as well (working on 2 for personal projects which haven't been started yet). Not really good at coding but I definitely messed around in Ace this past summer for the contest back in July so I could kinda hack my way through Ruby if need be. JavaScript seems confusing but I understand the way things need to be coded. The syntax, classes, and methods just confuses me that MV uses right now. I like abstract ideas and like implementing things from games like Earthbound and Paper Mario. Other turn based RPGs I have played and enjoyed are Pokemon and Fire Emblem:Awakening. Definitely missing some but for now I think that is a good list. Let me know if I would be a good fit! :)  

20. HellZDarkArkon

HellZDarkArkon Hell "Z" Member

First Language:
    English
    Hey, i'm good with teaming up with you guys, my skype is tahmee.petersen, so skype me anytime.  My skills are idea creation, mapping, event creation (somewhat...?), and animation (kind of...).

Currently working on: A private project I have given the In-Production name of ​Abyssal: The Tale of the Good Zombie​  Which, i'm thinking will be Episodic.  not sure.  It's a FFVI styled game where your main character becomes a Zombie in the very first Cinematic. (not movie) I'm not entirely sure about the lore of it all, although when finished, i'm hoping the game'll be heavily lore based.  I only really work on things as it comes across that I need it now.

So that's my skills and current Project.  along with my Skype. so, skype me anytime.  just pm me your skype name through rpgmakerweb forum pm system first.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2016