Seeking Programmer for External Bust/Sprite Generator Project

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
** I do hope this is in the right section. Please excuse the ignorance if not... I asked and someone suggested that it went here. **

Scope

A fully functional, intuitive, and aesthetically pleasing character graphics generator for use for games. Ambitiously speaking, I'd like for this to incorporate full-body, bust, face only, and sprites... But for the sake of do-ability I'd narrow it to bust and character sprites. If anyone who is as ambitious as I am would like to help create the whole kit and kaboodle... Don't hesitate to tell me that it is do-able enough for you.

Function

I picture this program to be a drag-and-drop interface with layering and 'color-wheel'. If possible, I'd like to add a smart-snap for certain objects (For quickly adding base hair and clothes in their 'appropriate' places) that can be fine-tuned by the user.

Layers can be adjusted by the user. Every object is given a layer preference, but the user can push the layering forward or back at will with a few clicks.

This utility should have multiple poses, types, expressions, accessories. We can discuss the organization of these categories. 

The program must export single-busts and bust-expression-sets in the appropriate format for easiest use. The sprite generator, complete with walking-animation, should be able to export sheets for direct usage in the Makers without the user having to edit it in another external program.

Further functionality can be discussed by the person(s) who may want to collaborate. Suggestions can be taken from anybody on this thread as well. I want this to, essentially, be a 'dream-character gfx-maker'.

My Role

I will be the sole artist

I do expect the programmer to tell me the size that the artwork must be as I'm not sure about technical limitations in art resolution. 

I will design everything from the GUI "look" to every piece of material that can be applied and customized. Basically, what the user will be seeing is my work, and how they're able to see it and use it... Is the programmer's work. 

Compensation

This will be a project to help me level up my artistic skill while providing resources to the community. For that reason, the programmer must be willing to work for experience/for the community.

If my potential future partner wants to discuss a Free and a Paid version of the program, I am open to this. We'll split the profits fairly.

* What style will assets be in?

I will draw a style variety which will organize into the program. There will probably be 3 different overall styles in the basic generator.

* What about the sprites?

Each piece that can be applied to a bust will have a sprite counterpart, easily labeled for user convenience. If it is possible to do a sprite auto-apply when something is moved over onto the bust then I'd be extra thrilled. Again, this may be too ambitious. Either way, busts and sprites will be able to match up evenly/color to shape.

* Besides walking, what other animations will be present?

I plan only to make basic walking (Up to 8-directions) sprite. If this becomes a "must have" utility, or if it shifts into a paid version... Then I will be more than willing to make extra poses and animations for the sprites.

* Have you drawn anything for this yet?

No. I didn't know the graphical limitations or how such a generator would work, so I need a programmer's consult first. I also didn't want to exhaust my creativity on something that might have no interest. That'd be pointless...

Any other loose questions... Ask me.

Art Sketches Example

These were drawn with a mouse only... (It's difficult) I will have a tablet soon. So I hope the final product of this to have more polish than these little WIPs.

Anime attempt...

'Realism'? Attempt.
I thank you for your time and possible consideration.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can you provide an example for the art you'll provide? In a free project, the programmer would most probably be interested in what the results might be and if he can use them in his/her own projects before starting.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Can you provide an example for the art you'll provide? In a free project, the programmer would most probably be interested in what the results might be and if he can use them in his/her own projects before starting.
I have a few 'sketches'. This project will be my first real try at art... Here's some unfinished sketches testing lines/colors/style...

I suppose we'll call this one... More realistic?

And this is an attempt at 'anime', but I didn't get far...

And the purpose is for me to try to get better at art. Still, I hope the example sketches are enough to prove myself as trying.

EDIT: Added to top post. I don't have a sprite example, for now. I will try to muster one up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Simon D. Aelsi

Voice Actor/Frelance Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hylian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
WOW. You're really good! :) Just a mouse? Incredible. I'm still a novice artist myself but I'm learning fast.

Have a bump. I hope you succeed! Best of luck to you, man!

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
WOW. You're really good! :) Just a mouse? Incredible. I'm still a novice artist myself but I'm learning fast.

Have a bump. I hope you succeed! Best of luck to you, man!
I thank you for the compliment. I'm working on a little project similar to this until someone hopefully takes this up with me. 

ShinGamix

DS Style 4Ever!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
April Fools
Primarily Uses
N/A
I really support this project. I dont see why this wasn't included in ace or something else like the game character hub.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Pretend you were telling, reading, or listening to a very serious, slightly scary story about witches. Would a witch doing the stereotypical flying on a broomstick thing ruin the mood?
Yeseylon wrote on CrowStorm's profile.
All Hail Storm Crow, the Blue Eyes White Dragon of MtG!
I love these real life Oblivion videos:
I'm playing DQ:XI DE in 2d mode with the synthesized soundtrack, the only way a RPGMAKER creator should play it. :D
:/ it really get on my nerves reading stuff about how to write a resume and they say things like "turn your failures into wins!!!" ... no interview Ive ever had cared to hear anything about my failures, and why would they :( ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmicycle