Seeking translators

Discussion in 'Project Recruitment' started by Tuomo L, Nov 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I am looking to expand my game's audience by supporting multiple languages.

[​IMG]

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=552006227

However, the rates for translations I found online were way too much for my tiny budget so I came here to see if anyone here could make offers for any languages? I am especially looking for French, Spain, Russian and Japanese but any other languages are welcome too.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2015
    RocketKnight and Marsigne like this.
  2. fmoliveira

fmoliveira Villager Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Hello Tuomo L,

The game looks very good! Congratulations for being Greenlit! I'll download it to try it out.

I like translating and I've already worked on some projects in Transifex, but unfortunately I can't help with the languages you're especially looking for.

I don't know what rates you've found online, but have you tried looking for the gigs on Fiverr? There're gigs for translating 400-500 words for US$ 5 to virtually any language you'd look for. But you'd have to submit them the phrases in a text file and put them back to RPG Maker later. Can you estimate how many words are there in the game?

Translation gigs on on Fiverr: https://www.fiverr.com/categories/writing-translation/quality-translation-services/

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2015
    Shiroi Akuma and Marsigne like this.
  3. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    If you can have an estimation on the number of words, it'll help people as they can estimate how long this would take for them as well.

Also, technically, how are they going to work on the text? Do they need to edit your events? Do you use an external text file?

One last thing: do you have any screen/menu with text displayed as a picture that would require a translation? That'd mean image editing and an internal check to get the correct displayed language, if that's your case.

4. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have external text file that they can edit.  And yes I have pictures but I can have them in different language as well.

5. Accendor

Accendor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    There is a big variance in the quality of translations. If you go for the cheapest ones you can be sure that it would be better to just DON'T support another language and just stay with english.

There is a reason that a professional translater costs a lot of money. They dig into your game, understand what your story is about and then they translate it. They translate the meaning BEHIND the words and not simply the literal meaning. Believe my, I have a lot of friends and partners who are professional translaters and there is so much more to translating than simply transferring a word from one language to another.

You can seriously ruin a game with a bad translation

If you do not have the money right now to support other languages than stay with english and invest in a lector / proof reader. A single great english version is much better than supporting 5 badly translated languages.

That being said I can provide you with either a lector for your english version or a translator for your french version. Both are professionals but because they love games I am pretty sure they will give you a discount.

Think about what I said, decide what you want to do and if you want to get in contact with one of my friends send me a message and I will bring you together.

Shake0615, Marsigne and fmoliveira like this.
  6. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I forgot to address this earlier. I think the number of words is about 11000 for the whole game. Because of this the prices online I was searching would cost me like 4500$ and such and that's way too much. The 5$ per 500 someone suggested earlier from the service is the absolute maximum but even that is really pushing my budget since it'd be 110$ all in all. I think that guy who was willing to do 5$ per 1000 in there was more closer to my budget since it'd be about 55$ or so for me. Anything lower than that would be even better.

7. fmoliveira

First Language:
    Portuguese
    For 11000 words if you get somebody on Fiverr for $5 / 400-500 words it'll cost you about $110-140. But as Accendor have mentioned, a higher quality translation will cost you more money, of course. Translators on Fiverr are mostly native speakers, but it won't be easy to find people with gaming backgrounds, so, it's subject to make some nonsense translation.

I also agree with Accendor's suggestion to reduce the number of required translations so you can invest better in just a few languages. Hiring proof readers is a great idea as well, for the original English game and for any translations.

I've participated in game translations on Transifex from English to my native language and even I'm a gamer I can state that sometimes it's really hard to translate some words or sentences you aren't sure of the in-game meaning or feeling. It's not impossible though, it can be made less painful if the game developer provide some tips about the game backgrounds.

You could add valuable tips to sentences you think that could cause confusion, e.g. names not to be translated, maps and scenes names, complex conversations about the game plot such as about the Elohim Cube.

The Fiverr quotes are already very cheap, do take special care if considering cheaper quotes. Instead of translating to five languages, why don't you pick the one or two most important ones and after the sales begin, create updates with new languages?

8. Accendor

Accendor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    $4500 is indeed too much.

Usually translaters work either with prices for standard lines, which are usually around 55 characters, or with words (depending on the country you are in).

In Austria or Germany it works with standard lines and those are $1.50 per standard line, so I will use this as an example because I know the prices here.

Using http://www.amtrad.it/feewizardol.php you can convert standard lines to prices per word, which would be ~$0.18 per Word.

$0.18 * 11000 = $1980

Please be aware that this is the price for a really high quality translation, using not only professional translaters but also a second translater to do proof reading for everything.

So as you can see $4500 is WAY to much, even if you wanted to go for best quality.

If you pass on additional proof reading you could even go for something like $0.10 per Word, so ~$1000 USD and you will still get a very, very good translation. If you ask the right people you may also get a discount on that, so perhaps something like $700 or $800 is doable for something that you want to publish.

However, if you plan to only spent $55 on this then you should consider this options:

1. Stay in english

2. Save your money and use google translate since it will only have a slighty worse quality than the usual $50 translations and it is free. I am not saying they are ALL bad, but chances are high that you are wasting your money.

fmoliveira likes this.
  9. fmoliveira

First Language:
    Portuguese
    It might be an option for a tiny budget, but you should spend your budget on proofreading then.

In Fiverr there are gigs for proofreading 1000-2000 words for $5. While this could still leave failures, it'd already improve Google's translations a bit.

10. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So what you're saying is this guy is worse than google translator?

I think you're being very unfair.

Mihel and fmoliveira like this.
  11. Accendor

Accendor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    No, that guy is for sure better than google translater. However he will charge at least ~$80 for a service that is probably only slightly better than google translate. Also you even quoted what I wrote before but ignored it then:

So yeah, that guy right there could be the exception to that rule and provide you with a perfect translation for $80. I am not denying that. I am just saying that the chances that either OP or his audience will be disappointed are way higher if you chose $5 fiverr translations.

Edit: And yes, I saw that this guy has a bachelors degree in "modern languages" but again: This alone does not qualify him as a good translater (again, I am not saying that he IS bad but there is usually a reason why prices are so low).

Of course there could be worse choices than him.

Edit2: By the way, that guy has a strange pricing model.

2700 words are $10, 4700 are $20 and 7700 are $40. So if you need 8000 words it is cheaper so buy 2x 4700 than 1x 7700 and 1x700.

12. Marsigne

Marsigne Sephiroth Veteran

First Language:
    Other
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Just my 2¢ about Google TranslateUnless you know how to use it well (like knowing both languages in question), even someone who isn't fluent or have any bachelors degree in languages such as me, would get you a much better translation than that of Google Translate. I'm not kidding. Google Translate's context get really messy fast depending on what you want to translate, and the words are usually very literal. It also, of course, doesn't use "fluent" words that English native speakers would usually say. This is my experience on translation between Spanish and English languages.

13. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah I know, my friend wanted to tell me I was silly but he used google translate to translate that and what it translated was to call me literally dumb. That is totally different and changes the entire context of what was said.

Marsigne and fmoliveira like this.
  14. esziaprez

esziaprez I'm in the Gaame !!! Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    I'm French (First Language).

I can help you If you want. 

fmoliveira likes this.
  15. EliteKilljoy

EliteKilljoy Beta Tester, English Proofer, German Translator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I am an English major and could help proof read and English version, if you decide to do what the previous members mentioned.

If you DO decide to do multiple languages, I could translate it into German for you (I am minoring in German).

PM me if you're interested and we can discuss prices. I would say $50-100 would work for me, but PM me and we can discuss it.

fmoliveira likes this.
  16. RocketKnight

RocketKnight Broke with expansive taste Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Peharps i can translate to Portuguese, if you need.

17. Zanazaru

Zanazaru Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    I could help with a german translation as I#m a native speaker but fluent in english as well, so hit me up if I can help :)

18. Akaharos

Akaharos Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Hey! I don't know if this is still up for grabs, but i suppose it's worth a try!

I'd be interested in translating the French part, since I'm a native franch speaker, and, as you can see, my english is pretty fluent (american born and whatnot) I saw some people talking about prices... Idon't exactly know how one would price such things... i guess it would just undergo a slight negotiation from both parties? at any rate, I'm willing to translate for free, as long as the work load isn't equivalent to translating the lord of the rings in its entirety...

Anyways, If the French translation is still up for grabs, i'm willing to take care of it (the reason why I'm doing this for free is basically because I want to get to know people in the RPG making world, since I'm launching a project myself and It never hurts to have reliable contacts around) so if you're interested, message me or something, and we can work it out!

19. cygnus flamel

cygnus flamel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    spanish
    11000 words for 55$? As a freelance translator I think that its extremely low, I could help you with the translation to Spanish if we could negotiate a better payment.

I am a native Spanish speaker and as translator i actually specialize in interactive and creative fields.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2015
  20. erpicci

erpicci Villager Member

First Language:
    Italian
    I can make an Italian translation, if you're interested.

I'm an Italian native speaker, English is my second language and I would be fine with the $50 budget.

Should you need more info or my references, please contact me (PM will do).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.